Honored Contributor

Re: Contributing to our own loss of privacy

Q4U, I don't know if this still happens, but in years past, I have googled a topic that is QVC-related, and up pops my forum comment on that topic.  Maybe new policies have prevented this from still happening.

I don't recall what the topic was, but there were my words on the Internet.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

Not long ago I also saw one that was 'what is your mother's name'.  I was just waiting for the one asking what your mother's maiden name is.  Smiley Wink

I swear, @chickenbutt, I was too! There probably has been one and we've forgotten it. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

There was even one asking if you carried a balance on your credit card. Who needs to know that, or who would even care?

Esteemed Contributor

@Q4u   Nothing you put on the internet is private.   Hackers can get into anything. 

Valued Contributor

All valid points-

I've had an internet presence for years and have actually physically met hundreds of people from the few websites we've been involved with-fortunately, good people.

Unfortunately, any traceable presence is mostly do to the work I've done-I suppose if someone is going to search that hard they're going to be successful at something-

How many have actually paid to have a search done on themselves?  The amount of information is frightening-

Though I would always suggest that no one share their location-when they are traveling, where they work, or the hours they work, nor would I mention children, it is a good reminder to be more careful.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde I totally agree with you, I've felt uneasy about these questions for a long time. Facebook usage,paying credit cards in full, paying bills by check or online, mother's first name etc. 

Has it occurred to anyone that all of these questions and answers are being collected?

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

Moonchilde wrote:

chickenbutt wrote:

Not long ago I also saw one that was 'what is your mother's name'.  I was just waiting for the one asking what your mother's maiden name is.  Smiley Wink

I swear, @chickenbutt, I was too! There probably has been one and we've forgotten it. 

I was just shocked at how many people actually gave out that info!

Sure, I play some of it but I have a line that I tend to follow.    

One question on one of my accounts is 'what is your favorite hobby'.  Well, you just KNOW that one has been asked here.  

I tend to think about stuff like 'what are security questions that my accounts ask to keep me safer' and those are things I don't discuss.

Respected Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

I agree with everything you said, however these forums are private to QVC and need a password to participate (not infalliable).  Which means that the information provided here isn't immediately available to the World Wide Web. Granted, we still need to be careful as anyone can register and participate but having a password to participate is far better than raw info being disseminated to the entire web .... but certainly something to always keep in mind no matter where we're discussing.....

Thanks for your thoughtful reminder....  

@I could be mistaken @Q4u, but I believe any thread here is on view for all to see, anywhere. If you google certain topics, a QVC thread may come up as a site to click on.

Anyone?

Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt  Do you believe on facebook someone asked me what my Mothers maiden name was?    Just last week.  I said sorry I do not give information out like that online. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I thought the same thing last week with the What is your mothers name thread.  Many times people are asked some of the questions on your list as secret words to keep your interent accounts secure.

Another forum here also has had threads about how to store your jewelry.  Oh yes, I have a  Lori Granier mirror jewelry case filled with XYZ and Colleen Lopez jewelry keepers stacked in my closet....