Honored Contributor

Re: Contributing to our own loss of privacy

I'll contribute anything you want to know about what jeans style I like.  However, mother's first name, or how do you pay bills online, or do you file with H&R Block -- NO, but thanks for asking.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I've been guilty of saying when my birthday is and each time I get miffed at myself.   This really is a big one.  

I'd never do a 'happy birthday to me' kind of thing because, well, that just skeeves me out.  But, in context, I have told my birthday.  I think I'll put more thought and stop doing that.  Smiley Happy

I don't worry about some things as much as I used to, and birthday (without the year) isn't a huge-y for me personally. I could see peoples' reasons for worry re certain things while they are employed. But some of that dropped off for me - no place of employment for someone to track me to, no employer to contact, no future job references needed.

I think that what we really need is an "identifying number" that almost no one can ask for. So many places now insist on a SS# for their records. There needs to be a 2-ID system of some kind - like with a CC AND a CVV # or extra questions, so that our one unique form of ID isn't potentially available at the first hack anywhere.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Some of us have been here longer than others and we can remember strange things that went on.

There used to be a poster who bragged about what state she was in and routinely posted photos of her grandchildren and the house where they lived.  It made many of us uneasy but she wouldn't stop.

She wasn't the only one to do that, either.  People love their grandkids, but IMO this is not the place to post photos of children and detail their activities.

Respected Contributor

Great discussion! Unfortunately, some people are too trusting and innocently give out way too much information, not thinking that it could come back to bite them.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

Some of us have been here longer than others and we can remember strange things that went on.

There used to be a poster who bragged about what state she was in and routinely posted photos of her grandchildren and the house where they lived.  It made many of us uneasy but she wouldn't stop.

She wasn't the only one to do that, either.  People love their grandkids, but IMO this is not the place to post photos of children and detail their activities.

OMGosh......I remember that.  At the time I couldn't believe she got by with it as long as she did.  Am sure she wouldn't get by with it today with the Moderators that monitor now.  They wouldn't put up with it. 

Honored Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

I'm sure that no one is going to figure someone's identity out from the conversations here. that's just silly.  In all my years on this board, I have never seen anyone give out any true identifying information.  You eye color and where you shop and who does your tax returns is not identifying information.  The only thing here that troubles me and I've only seen it 2 or 3 times are the grands who post pictures of their grandchildren.  I just think thats not necessary and intrusive, even if they don't give the children's names and where they live.  It just makes me uneasy.

@chrystaltree, you are speaking from a perspective where you would never have the intent, inclination, energy, or know-how to carry out activities that are aimed at stealing your identity.  The questions are supposed to look innocent.  People can gather information and enter it into software programs with profiling algorithms -- or sell this seemingly innocent information to others.   

They bank on you scoffing at it all and thinking it's silly. My job where I work requires semi-annual mandatory training to warn about just such things.  

That's it exactly. It's not that one piece of information will be disastrous, but many pieces fit in a jigsaw puzzle that can and does lead to peoples' identities. And whether it's for identity theft, burglary, other theft or just harrassment, none of it is a good thing.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Noel7 wrote:

I think I know who it is, to whom you refer, and I guess that probably the only redeeming factor there is that I seriously doubt if 90% of what that person says is even true.

But, posting all those pictures of the kidlets - that was just wrong.  If they actually are that person's grandkids, I even wonder if the parents of those kids were ok with that.

I've seen a couple of different posters over the years here who post, bragging about their education and careers and I'd be hard-pressed to believe that based on numerous things about what they say and how they say it.   But, that's just me.  Smiley Wink

Esteemed Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

I agree with everything you said, however these forums are private to QVC and need a password to participate (not infalliable).  Which means that the information provided here isn't immediately available to the World Wide Web. Granted, we still need to be careful as anyone can register and participate but having a password to participate is far better than raw info being disseminated to the entire web .... but certainly something to always keep in mind no matter where we're discussing.....

Thanks for your thoughtful reminder....  

@Q4u

Sorry to inform you of this but if you google your own name ,you will find everythng you ever said here, right there for the world to see.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

I think I know who it is, to whom you refer, and I guess that probably the only redeeming factor there is that I seriously doubt if 90% of what that person says is even true.

But, posting all those pictures of the kidlets - that was just wrong.  If they actually are that person's grandkids, I even wonder if the parents of those kids were ok with that.

I've seen a couple of different posters over the years here who post, bragging about their education and careers and I'd be hard-pressed to believe that based on numerous things about what they say and how they say it.   But, that's just me.  Smiley Wink

No chicken.....you're not the only one to remember that......I already posted that I remember that......

Respected Contributor

Great points Moonchilde! I think it everytime I see a thread like that. It's creepy.

I must say though that that poster seems to have taken over for another questioner or maybe they added an alternate because people were catching on. SMH