Honored Contributor

Contributing to our own loss of privacy

This is not to single out anyone who may have started any of these threads, or similar threads. It's just to point out what many do unwittingly that reveals personally identifiable things about themselves that could, in the wrong hands for the wrong reasons be setting themselves up for identity theft, social media hacking and other schemes to part you from your privacy, your money or your identity.

We all see first hand, and hear about, phishing and other email scams with people trying to get our info. We say I'll never do this or that online, I'll never give out MY info.

Within the first few pages of a couple of forums are threads titled:

- What color are your eyes
- Do you have a birthmark
- What age group do you fall into
- Do you pay bills online or write a check
- Does anyone file with H&R Block online
- What do you like to collect
- How many RR Xings on your commute
- Right-handed or left-handed
- What time do you eat dinner

Individually, not much. Silly to worry about some of these, right? But if a data miner wanted to (some people earn a living or a 'bounty' doing it) - People post where they live, when they go on vacation, many other bits of info, and the threads above plus many others. These were just 3-4 days worth. "You" could be deciphered between what's public record searchable knowledge and what's posted here.

I'm not paranoid. I do much more online than many people posting here say they would ever do. I'm not saying all the people who start such threads have nefarious purposes. I'm just saying - without even thinking about it, look what WE put "out there" that we can't blame on "bad internet", "bad FB", "Bad Twitter", etc. WE did it. We shold own that up, and maybe think twice about what we say online. Many won't care - I don't care that much - but I'm beginning to see that many maybe should notice and start to care.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

Re: Contributing to our own loss of privacy

[ Edited ]

ITA @Moonchilde.There has been a more recent poster who seems to be fond of starting canvassing-type threads. Interestingly, this poster stopped posting under her/his nic at the same time a new nic appeared around here with the same type of canvassing questions.

I don't usually notice stuff like this -- I am not a detective here... nor do I care to be -- but this poster has been so obvious even to me.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde......very good thread.  We really don't think when we are giving out some of the information you mentioned.  When you get down to the realness of this, you are so right.....we need to be very careful.

Honored Contributor

This is a very sage post, Moonchilde.  After too many "small potato" posts of personal information, a mosaic can be created from your data and that found for free online..  

My antennae have been up, and at times I think I reveal too much.  However, what I reveal is typically my reaction to or opinion of something rather than my characteristics or habits.

Like you, I do not think that most who visit this forum have sinister motives, but there could be someone out there who exploits information mined here.

Honored Contributor

I agree with everything you said, however these forums are private to QVC and need a password to participate (not infalliable).  Which means that the information provided here isn't immediately available to the World Wide Web. Granted, we still need to be careful as anyone can register and participate but having a password to participate is far better than raw info being disseminated to the entire web .... but certainly something to always keep in mind no matter where we're discussing.....

Thanks for your thoughtful reminder....  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

I didn't answer one of them. Well, I did with collecting things. (Dust and dog hair!)

I don't share my age, location, and answer questions like those.

Esteemed Contributor

I learned early on to never  respond to, or participate in  these types of threads.  It used to be even worse some years back ... before the old board was replaced with this one.  

We saw posters go after other posters with information they "culled" ...  just from seemingly innocent responses. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde  Excellent post and it sure will make me think of future postings!   Thank You!

Honored Contributor

Not long ago I also saw one that was 'what is your mother's name'.  I was just waiting for the one asking what your mother's maiden name is.  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Moonchilde, I could NOT agree more! I never ever respond to that stuff.

It's no one's business and I am suspect of people who want to know this kind of thing about people they don't know.

To the person who thinks the info on QVC is private: As for this info being private to QVC, have you never heard of hacking? Look at all the big businesses that have been hacked.

If it could happen to them, it could happen here. Better safe than sorry!

Nope, it's no one's business what hand I use, what color my eyes are, or anything else Smiley Happy