Trusted Contributor

Re: Contributing to our own loss of privacy

BRAVO  Pink Sunset...  You said exactly what I have been thinking.    Thought I was the only one...  

Honored Contributor

@Toppers3 wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

I agree with everything you said, however these forums are private to QVC and need a password to participate (not infalliable).  Which means that the information provided here isn't immediately available to the World Wide Web. Granted, we still need to be careful as anyone can register and participate but having a password to participate is far better than raw info being disseminated to the entire web .... but certainly something to always keep in mind no matter where we're discussing.....

Thanks for your thoughtful reminder....  

Hi @Q4u,

You can read these forums without signing in, so anyone anywhere can see and read what's posted here online.

Thanks, I believe I've already acknowledged that.... Woman LOL

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@JJsMom wrote:

I'm surprised by those who give us their real names and go into detail about their lives, especially medical histories, even discussing their spouse's medical history at length. Why do people do this? Attention? Loneliness?

I've discussed my husband's illness because we went through HELL 5 years ago and have been desperate to seek out any and all information.  Yes we've been through an army of doctors all who say different things so by putting it out there I might reach someone else who's in the same boat.  The bottom line is  doctors just don't know about his rare condition and until you see someone go downhill the way my husband has you might understand how heartbreaking it is.

I never know who may be in a similar situation and could direct me to what might have worked for them.  So for me it wasn't "loneliness or attention" but desperation for my husband to get well.  It's worth the risk for me to post.  So far I haven't had any problems.

I absolutely agree with you.  I got some great advice when I posted a medical issue I had with my DH.  Some of it was very helpful.

Yes there is no doubt some just need others to vent to or talk to because they are lonely but as you said, you never know when you are going to find someone in your same situation with some helpful advice.      

Trusted Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

@Toppers3 wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

I agree with everything you said, however these forums are private to QVC and need a password to participate (not infalliable).  Which means that the information provided here isn't immediately available to the World Wide Web. Granted, we still need to be careful as anyone can register and participate but having a password to participate is far better than raw info being disseminated to the entire web .... but certainly something to always keep in mind no matter where we're discussing.....

Hi @Q4u,

You can read these forums without signing in, so anyone anywhere can see and read what's posted here online.

Hello agaon @Q4u,

I didn't see that until after I had already posted my comment. Smiley Happy

I'm glad that you know this now. Don't feel bad about it, though. It's an easy mistake to make. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Toppers3 wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

@Toppers3 wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

Hi @Q4u,

Hello agaon @Q4u,

I didn't see that until after I had already posted my comment. Smiley Happy

I'm glad that you know this now. Don't feel bad about it, though. It's an easy mistake to make. Smiley Happy

Thanks!  No I don't feel bad...Woman Happy. I'm actually very grateful for the knowledge because I sincerely thought this board ran with a private sign in and didn' realize it was an open board.  I've always been careful on discussions boards regardless, but will be even more so now that I know.  Big thanks!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@silentgirl wrote:

Just wanted to address a little information I read that isn't completely accurate -This may have already been written-I'm lagging behind.

On the subject of looking up your own IP's-in relation to location-etc. and information that you have available to access, as compared to that of an individual with a program - Which is what I personally have been referencing-

What you may see when searching your IP is not the immediate information that someone running a program on a site has access too-That's just a fact-

Starbucks for instance, and their locations can totally be pin pointed-very easily-Macs are like the easiest, mobiles, so easy, computers can just be tracked (with an IP) while sipping a leisurely cup of coffee without ever removing your fingers from the keyboard with a couple key strokes accessing traceroute and pings--

How the IP works at its simplest-For instance, we always had an IP.  It may be have been a dynamic/static/ IP but, we get a range of IP's in the area specified/assigned, for a particular server/carrier. All are assigned a range. The IP may change, but it stayed in the identifiable range.

To narrow down an area:  schools, businesses, hospitals, brokerage firms, the IRS and so many other large systems are commonly assigned their own IP’s within a given range, easily traced back to them with the business name attached-In those instances, often, computers are assigned,  we traced back to the desk-If using their own computers, they were still using the IPs assigned to the business and its range.  Additionally, all equipment has traceable numbers attached, no matter what type of equipment it is.

If someone has given a great deal of information over time, and has sinister intentions and no program, just an IP, it can totally be accomplished.  It may take them time, but totally achievable-

For me, if someone is telling me to put my life preserver on, (and that is what knowledge is) I'm going to do it.  It doesn't mean I'm going to drown, but it will keep me safer. Smiley Wink

Be informed and have fun-

(posting without corrections)

Great thread @Moonchilde!

The part of this post of @silentgirl's I put in red, very good point and I see no reason to not want to read all the good advice.

Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Love the thread on "do you post to any other forums and groups?" question.  Where, you know, you might just use the same nic as you do here ....  

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@silentgirl  Thank you for the info on IPs, silentgirl.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Valued Contributor

Thank you @addymarie and @mistriTsquirrel

Valued Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

Love the thread on "do you post to any other forums and groups?" question.  Where, you know, you might just use the same nic as you do here ....  

LOL-or maybe the same avatar with the nic?

Dah-me