Honored Contributor

Re: Contributing to our own loss of privacy

@mima wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

Not long ago I also saw one that was 'what is your mother's name'.  I was just waiting for the one asking what your mother's maiden name is.  Smiley Wink

I swear, @chickenbutt, I was too! There probably has been one and we've forgotten it. 

I was just shocked at how many people actually gave out that info!

Sure, I play some of it but I have a line that I tend to follow.    

One question on one of my accounts is 'what is your favorite hobby'.  Well, you just KNOW that one has been asked here.  

I tend to think about stuff like 'what are security questions that my accounts ask to keep me safer' and those are things I don't discuss.

EXACTLY, @chickenbutt! The more recent questions have been much more geared to security question info. It's gotten really obvious.

@Moonchilde wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

Not long ago I also saw one that was 'what is your mother's name'.  I was just waiting for the one asking what your mother's maiden name is.  Smiley Wink

I swear, @chickenbutt, I was too! There probably has been one and we've forgotten it. 

One question on one of my accounts is 'what is your favorite hobby'.  Well, you just KNOW that one has been asked here.  

I tend to think about stuff like 'what are security questions that my accounts ask to keep me safer' and those are things I don't discuss.

EXACTLY, @chickenbutt! The more recent questions have been much more geared to security question info. It's gotten really obvious.

I really think the thread was "mother's first name".  Can you provide a link to the "mother's maiden name" thread? 

That is a huge difference.  Of course again, I sure could be wrong.

Thanks!

Upon searching, people here couldn't find such a (recent) thread; both @chickenbutt and I were being half facetious to start with. However, there may still be such a thread - I said it wouldn't surprise me, not that I'd seen one.

For the purposes of this (or any given) thread, one is only going to search so far back, and stop. Not to mention if you don't enter pretty exact info in the forum's lovely and oh-so-accurate-and-helpful search feature, you wouldn't necessarily find it if it was there.

BTW - my post about SS# and tax ID# was a joke. No one has asked those either.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hey Moonchilde!  Sorry you got chunked into that bit of weirdness!

It seemed pretty obvious what I said and that it was not saying that there IS such a thread.   Well, to me it did.  Smiley Happy  I even used a winking smiley face, which used to directly imply that you were kidding.  Oh well.

That's why I just ignored it the first time somebody challenged me to show them that thread that didn't exist.  But the cause was taken up and then it just got silly.

Hope everybody is having a happy day!

Honored Contributor

@mima wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

I really think the thread was "mother's first name".  Can you provide a link to the "mother's maiden name" thread? 

Thanks!

@mima

Neither @chickenbutt or @Moonchilde said there was a thread asking for our mother's maiden name.

They kiddingly said they were WAITING for a question like that.

A little hard to see above, but I put it in red for you.

Honored Contributor

@JJsMom wrote:

I'm surprised by those who give us their real names and go into detail about their lives, especially medical histories, even discussing their spouse's medical history at length. Why do people do this? Attention? Loneliness?

While I might not share things someone else shares, what people say here should be, IMO, decided upon not ONLY by whether that may be more info than people "want", but in large part because of the reaction and responses they are likely to get. Some posters can't and don't want anything but sympathy, agreement, and pats on the head. Others understand how discussion forums work and know it's part of the process.

Asking questions about medical issues? It (as always) depends on what. If you've been told you need a cholecystectomy, I see nothing at all odd about asking questions of others who have had one. Perhaps they have no one to ask. It always behooves people to use their own common sense in reading the responses, but no one can mandate that and not everyone has common sense. Neither QVC nor any of us here is responsible for that.

Many people post on these forums for attention - good and bad, and that attention often involves pot-stirring - you'd have to ask them.

Loneliness? Is that some sort of "bad", "deficient" feeling to have? 

Many people on internet forums of ALL kinds are housebound through no "fault" of their own, for various reasons. They may or may not be living alone or have anyone else to bounce questions or concerns off of. Each person's own personal definition of TMI, and when to and why to share is different. I can easily skip TMI if I feel it; it doesn't do any damage to me. Keeping in mind the topic of this thread, I decide what to share, where, when and to whom. I decide what's an okay share vs a 'probably not' or heck no.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@mima wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

Thanks!

@mima

Neither @chickenbutt or @Moonchilde said there was a thread asking for our mother's maiden name.

They kiddingly said they were WAITING for a question like that.

A little hard to see above, but I put it in red for you.

@Noel7Thanks, but I am still reading it like there was a question/thread already a while back about the mother's maiden name and they were surprised at all the responses. The part in red was remembering about that post and they were waiting for that post to brought up in this thread. 

Maybe they can get on here and clarify what they actually meant.  I think they are remembering wrong.  No big deal though.  I do it all the time.

Oh well, it doesn't matter.  Thanks for your interpretation.

Honored Contributor

Hey Mima!  

All I meant originally was that I would not have been surprised if there was a new thread asking people what their mothers' maiden name is.  It was just smart alecky and joking, on my part.   

I never meant, and honestly didn't think some might take it as, it to say that such a thing existed.  Just remarking that I half expect to see that sort of thing, what with all the other personal question threads.

I hope that made more sense. Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

I think many of you are over-thinking this whole issue as far

as QVC forums and the questions asked and answered are

concerned.  I'd worry more about Facebook, etc.

♥chocolate lover ♦ audiobook junkie♥
Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

Hey Mima!  

All I meant originally was that I would not have been surprised if there was a new thread asking people what their mothers' maiden name is.  It was just smart alecky and joking, on my part.   

I never meant, and honestly didn't think some might take it as, it to say that such a thing existed.  Just remarking that I half expect to see that sort of thing, what with all the other personal question threads.

I hope that made more sense. Smiley Happy

It made sense, the first time.

Honored Contributor

@mollybgood wrote:

I think many of you are over-thinking this whole issue as far

as QVC forums and the questions asked and answered are

concerned.  I'd worry more about Facebook, etc.

ITA. Say no to FB,

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@newziesuzie wrote:

Im the poster that starts happy birthday threads which

I started because I wanted all our posters to know

their day is special. 

I did similar "you are all special" threads for

some of the holidays where some people might not

always feel happy or might be alone.

I wish somebody said something before this and I wonder 

if I should ask the mods to delete the old Birthday threads

because now Im worried and

I dont want to be part of the problem. 😟

Thank u for this thread @Moonchilde!

Im sorry everybody

I never knew all this.

Its good to be informed so it's better now than not

at all.

@newziesuzie

I've never entered your threads, although, I've seen them-I'm certain with all the posts to your credit, you are very much trusted here and known-

You've done nothing to cause harm-

This thread is geared more toward a, "what could be kind of thing"- and a cautionary note for certain information to be thought about-that's all-

Kindest wishes.

edited for clarification