Trusted Contributor

Re: Contributing to our own loss of privacy

@mollybgood@I eat at 6 means nothing on its own, the problem is if someone chooses they gather a hundred little things, soon they have your life history. Say you said I live alone, I eat at 6, they now know your home is empty before 6, and your alone after six. It all adds up in the wrong hands

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

There was even one asking if you carried a balance on your credit card. Who needs to know that, or who would even care?

No offense but you start a lot of threads asking questions.  Who really needs to know half of what you ask or even cares?

No one really knows who they are posting with and I've said it a million times, I take everything I read here with a grain of salt.  There are a lot of untruthful people who post on this and other boards. 

Everyone looks 10 years younger, is debt free, looks like a famous, beautiful celeb, etc.    

Honored Contributor

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

I thought the same thing last week with the What is your mothers name thread.  Many times people are asked some of the questions on your list as secret words to keep your interent accounts secure.

Another forum here also has had threads about how to store your jewelry.  Oh yes, I have a  Lori Granier mirror jewelry case filled with XYZ and Colleen Lopez jewelry keepers stacked in my closet....

If you post about all the jewelry you buy and own, what difference would a question like this make?  I'd be more concerned about telling everyone what you are buying. 

And it could be a legit question by someone wanting to know how to keep jewelry tarnish free. 

Honored Contributor

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I'm sure that no one is going to figure someone's identity out from the conversations here. that's just silly.  In all my years on this board, I have never seen anyone give out any true identifying information.  You eye color and where you shop and who does your tax returns is not identifying information.  The only thing here that troubles me and I've only seen it 2 or 3 times are the grands who post pictures of their grandchildren.  I just think thats not necessary and intrusive, even if they don't give the children's names and where they live.  It just makes me uneasy.

You would be wrong.  I figured out a posters real name because she not only described herself on this board and posted her profession and where she lived, she then posted the very same information on a host's FB page.  Everthing rang a bell and the photo matched her description perfectly. 

Honored Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

@tansy wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

If you have a ip address or a business name it's easy to find a physical address.

So you are saying I go on a site, they can know exactly where I live with my IP? I am not talking just location. (I know that)  I went on a site and this company called my phone.  Where is this home address/IP  phonebooK? Is there a special program?

@missy1, no, I don't believe an ordinary citizen can determine your home address from your IP address.  Mine doesn't show the correct city even.  Maybe @dooBdoo will chime in.

Interesting.  I just checked my IP address.  In the past it just gave a general location. This time it lists a very close proximity to where I live, what kind of device I'm using, my operating system, my screen size and my browser!  The only thing not listed is my shoe size!  Times, they are a changing.   (thud)

I just looked mine up and it's way off.  It's in the US, that's about the only thing that was right.

Esteemed Contributor

Great thread @Moonchilde - our privacy is quickly dissolving right before our eyes and sometimes I too have jumped in but as cautious as I am on Facebook I am still surprised in this day and age what people post just like on these type boards.  For more years than I can count I practice shredding any documents and or mail that has any personal information on it as well before I use to just throw it in the trash without thinking twice.

Now a days things are not as innocent as they once were or thought to be so thanks for the  reality check.

Honored Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

I agree with everything you said, however these forums are private to QVC and need a password to participate (not infalliable).  Which means that the information provided here isn't immediately available to the World Wide Web. Granted, we still need to be careful as anyone can register and participate but having a password to participate is far better than raw info being disseminated to the entire web .... but certainly something to always keep in mind no matter where we're discussing.....

Thanks for your thoughtful reminder....  

@Q4u

I have googled my own name (not my username) and my posts have shown up from this BB.  So the information is getting to the WWW.  It doesn't matter what the post is about.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

I'm sure that no one is going to figure someone's identity out from the conversations here. that's just silly.  In all my years on this board, I have never seen anyone give out any true identifying information.  You eye color and where you shop and who does your tax returns is not identifying information.  The only thing here that troubles me and I've only seen it 2 or 3 times are the grands who post pictures of their grandchildren.  I just think thats not necessary and intrusive, even if they don't give the children's names and where they live.  It just makes me uneasy.

You would be wrong.  I figured out a posters real name because she not only described herself on this board and posted her profession and where she lived, she then posted the very same information on a host's FB page.  Everthing rang a bell and the photo matched her description perfectly. 

Correct.  Some people have posted here that they've just asked a specific question on a host's FB page.  And also on a former host's FB page I've seen specific posts and then the same posts on these forums.  I guess people just want to share (some quite a bit) but it's just not wise.

Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

I agree with everything you said, however these forums are private to QVC and need a password to participate (not infalliable).  Which means that the information provided here isn't immediately available to the World Wide Web. Granted, we still need to be careful as anyone can register and participate but having a password to participate is far better than raw info being disseminated to the entire web .... but certainly something to always keep in mind no matter where we're discussing.....

Thanks for your thoughtful reminder....  

@Q4u

I have googled my own name (not my username) and my posts have shown up from this BB.  So the information is getting to the WWW.  It doesn't matter what the post is about.

No, if you use a nic here, you don't have to worry about seeing any of your posts here attached to your real name. Only if you have disclosed personal information where you identified yourself...maybe in a photo?

Maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong.....