Honored Contributor

Re: Contributing to our own loss of privacy

@silentgirlYou say it shows a map. Does it show just a general area or exact?

Like I said down thread. I was looking at a site, and a person from that site called me. Scary. 

Respected Contributor

Once a certain business was being discussed.  I said that I had never heard of it before, but that I  was getting one five minutes away that fall - or whenever it was.  The more I thought about it, I realized I probably just told everyone what town I lived in.  Sure enough, I googled and that was the only one opening in my state that year.  The most innocent things said in conversation give out personal info you wouldn't normally share.

When posters announce the births of their grandchildren, giving the date and sometimes even the baby's name...

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

Interesting thread.  I Googled my name and since it's a fairly common one (first clue) a famous published professor and I share a first & last name.  So she takes up the first three pages. I didn't bother to go further.

What I didn't see here is anyone mention if they have an online business.  I do (another clue) and I have my hometown & state listed.  It helps my customers to feel more confident in purchasing from me. I'm curious as to what others do with online businesses?

In 8 years of having this business I've never had a problem but then anything could happen at any time anywhere. Next month I'm flying to Ft. Lauderdale (another personal clue as to who I am) which is the same airport that had a terror attack earlier this winter. I'm not thrilled with it but it's something I must do.

I agree a little common sense can go a long way but we can't live in constant fear of everything.

I don't have a business, but someone I know has three FB IDs - as the business itself (name of business), as herself to deal with her aspects of the business and for friends she's made through the business, and business-friend contacts, and her own personal private page that has nothing to do with the business. She's very wise to understand it's the best and safest idea not to mix them.

I agree....I only have a family & friends private FB page and even then rarely go there.  I almost never post anything and I think compared to here FB is ridiculous with giving out all sorts of personal information.  I don't understand why people do that!

However I've been thinking of expanding onto Instagram since many have found business success there.

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

I'm sure that no one is going to figure someone's identity out from the conversations here. that's just silly.  In all my years on this board, I have never seen anyone give out any true identifying information.  You eye color and where you shop and who does your tax returns is not identifying information.  The only thing here that troubles me and I've only seen it 2 or 3 times are the grands who post pictures of their grandchildren.  I just think thats not necessary and intrusive, even if they don't give the children's names and where they live.  It just makes me uneasy.

@chrystaltree

It was already done, you are incorrect.

In that case, please give us the details because that could be of great help to posters.

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

I'm sure that no one is going to figure someone's identity out from the conversations here. that's just silly.  In all my years on this board, I have never seen anyone give out any true identifying information.  You eye color and where you shop and who does your tax returns is not identifying information.  The only thing here that troubles me and I've only seen it 2 or 3 times are the grands who post pictures of their grandchildren.  I just think thats not necessary and intrusive, even if they don't give the children's names and where they live.  It just makes me uneasy.

@chrystaltree

In that case, please give us the details because that could be of great help to posters.

I'm not going to give the details @chrystaltree

I'm not going to open up that mess again, nor am I going to give clues how to do it.

You've had a couple of other people on this line say the same thing I have.  It can be done, it has been done, and more than once. 

There is a current poster who has given out so much personal information that I think even I, not that computer savvy, could track her down.  I was very surprised at the amount of personal/family information divulged.  Of course I'm assuming she is truthful, and I wouldn't do that, but I know there is the opportunity for those so inclined to do so.  I have answered some of those questions in @Moonchilde original post, but not some of them that I considered a bit too personal. 

I will be more selective in what I do respond to in the future.  Thanks for the gentle poke, Moonchilde!

Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

I've been guilty of saying when my birthday is and each time I get miffed at myself.   This really is a big one.  

I'd never do a 'happy birthday to me' kind of thing because, well, that just skeeves me out.  But, in context, I have told my birthday.  I think I'll put more thought and stop doing that.  Smiley Happy

I don't worry about some things as much as I used to, and birthday (without the year) isn't a huge-y for me personally. I could see peoples' reasons for worry re certain things while they are employed. But some of that dropped off for me - no place of employment for someone to track me to, no employer to contact, no future job references needed.

I think that what we really need is an "identifying number" that almost no one can ask for. So many places now insist on a SS# for their records. There needs to be a 2-ID system of some kind - like with a CC AND a CVV # or extra questions, so that our one unique form of ID isn't potentially available at the first hack anywhere.

Yes.  Unfortunately, the ability to gather/put information out there is moving ahead at warp speed but the ability to protect it is moving along on the pony express.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@missy1 wrote:

@silentgirlYou say it shows a map. Does it show just a general area or exact?

Like I said down thread. I was looking at a site, and a person from that site called me. Scary. 

@missy1 

That is bothersome for sure-I'm not sure how that would occur exactly-there are several ways depending on a program someone may be running- and where you were-Did you fill anything out possibly?

The map that is normally seen is like you would see on a google search pinpointing something-It may or may not take you to a specific area of a state, but will take you to a state-It won't take them to your doorstep-

However, programs for individuals who want info are very sophisticated and beyond my knowledge at this point-Perhaps another can speak to that-

There is a positive aspect to the information; if you need to use it as we did, to stop serious threats against an individual or stalking (as we did), the information is there for law enforcement-

Even using proxys, duck duck and Tor browsers fail eventually to protect an identity-

I don't think we should live in fear, but knowledge is power-

Valued Contributor

I did want to just mention that the threats were actually logged from a program we ran, lead back to a hotel phone being used in the state of Wisconsin- So in certain cases, yes, exact location is present.

Honored Contributor

@silentgirl  I did not fill out any info.  I just don't know how that company can connect my computer search to my phone.

Super Contributor

@Caligurll  -  I know exactly who you are referring to, I can't belive how much she divulges  about family members and where they all live. Unbelievable.

@Caligurll wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@chrystaltree

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@chrystaltree

I'm not going to give the details @chrystaltree

I'm not going to open up that mess again, nor am I going to give clues how to do it.

You've had a couple of other people on this line say the same thing I have.  It can be done, it has been done, and more than once. 

There is a current poster who has given out so much personal information that I think even I, not that computer savvy, could track her down.  I was very surprised at the amount of personal/family information divulged.  Of course I'm assuming she is truthful, and I wouldn't do that, but I know there is the opportunity for those so inclined to do so.  I have answered some of those questions in @Moonchilde original post, but not some of them that I considered a bit too personal. 

I will be more selective in what I do respond to in the future.  Thanks for the gentle poke, Moonchilde!

Esteemed Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

I agree with everything you said, however these forums are private to QVC and need a password to participate (not infalliable).  Which means that the information provided here isn't immediately available to the World Wide Web. Granted, we still need to be careful as anyone can register and participate but having a password to participate is far better than raw info being disseminated to the entire web .... but certainly something to always keep in mind no matter where we're discussing.....

Thanks for your thoughtful reminder....  

Yes, the information here is immediately available to the world wide web @Q4u.

*Call Tyrone*