Honored Contributor

Re: Contributing to our own loss of privacy

truffle wrote:

There was a person who posted once that she has told many lies on these forums for privacy reasons. 

Just boggles the mind.  Why post? 

Wow, that is mind-boggling.  Perhaps, mostly that the person actually admitted it is more boggling than anything.  Smiley Wink

I think we all know that this happens - here and everywhere.   I just don't get how people can keep up with their lies.  They must have 'lie journals'.   I'd be messing up all over the place if I had to keep up with lies I've told.  If somebody doesn't believe something I say - just know that I don't say it unless it's true because I would be so humiliated if I got caught in a lie!  Truly!  Now that I have no memory, it would be just awful.  I can't even imagine it.

I guess the 'why post' is that people like that need attention so bad and they don't have anything to contribute so they make up stories that get them that attention.  I can think of a couple here (not on this thread - on this board overall).

Valued Contributor

Yes, correct about the google/QVC searches-that's how I ended up here-

Never answer any questions regarding finances, family names, birth dates, anniversaries or anything that could be tied to your security, cards, home, etc.

Honored Contributor

@BalletBabe wrote:

@Q4u   Nothing you put on the internet is private.   Hackers can get into anything. 

Understood..... and thought I inferred that..... Woman Happy

If I wasn't clear.... let me say that I absolutely agree!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@truffle wrote:

There was a person who posted once that she has told many lies on these forums for privacy reasons. 

Wow, that is mind-boggling.  Perhaps, mostly that the person actually admitted it is more boggling than anything.  Smiley Wink

I think we all know that this happens - here and everywhere.   I just don't get how people can keep up with their lies.  They must have 'lie journals'.   I'd be messing up all over the place if I had to keep up with lies I've told.  If somebody doesn't believe something I say - just know that I don't say it unless it's true because I would be so humiliated if I got caught in a lie!  Truly!  Now that I have no memory, it would be just awful.  I can't even imagine it.

I guess the 'why post' is that people like that need attention so bad and they don't have anything to contribute so they make up stories that get them that attention.  I can think of a couple here (not on this thread - on this board overall).

I think this is true, but still sad to want attention so desperately.

Esteemed Contributor

One time a poster started a thread loosely entitled "Did you go to high school with a celebrity?"   Lots of responses, but one stood out ... a poster had gone to high school in Indiana and had been in the same class with this actor. 

Just for the heck of it ... I looked up the actor on Wikipedia ... found his high school and date of graduation.   Went further ... it was a very small class, complete with names and pictures of the graduating class.   One of them was probably of the poster ... wouldn't have taken a rocket scientist to track her down if they wanted to.

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt, "lie journals"  - *coke through nose*!

Is that anything like a gratitude journal? :-D

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@truffle wrote:

She said that she enjoyed posting and that she has told a million lies to make sure no one could ever know who she was.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Q4u wrote:

I agree with everything you said, however these forums are private to QVC and need a password to participate (not infalliable).  Which means that the information provided here isn't immediately available to the World Wide Web. Granted, we still need to be careful as anyone can register and participate but having a password to participate is far better than raw info being disseminated to the entire web .... but certainly something to always keep in mind no matter where we're discussing.....

Thanks for your thoughtful reminder....  

@Q4u, my point is more that password or not, we really have no clue "who" we are talking to here and "why" they might actually be here. Any one of us, any day, might be giving a "data miner" one more small piece of a puzzle that they can sell to the people that pay them. It may not be outside the forum today, but it might have been sold as a package deal on the Dark Web and be all over next month.

Or, leave aside data mining. There certainly have in the past been people on these forums who stalked and tried to, or did, track down, other posters for unpleasant purposes. I would worry more about that, actually.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@golding76 wrote:

This is a very sage post, Moonchilde.  After too many "small potato" posts of personal information, a mosaic can be created from your data and that found for free online..  

My antennae have been up, and at times I think I reveal too much.  However, what I reveal is typically my reaction to or opinion of something rather than my characteristics or habits.

Like you, I do not think that most who visit this forum have sinister motives, but there could be someone out there who exploits information mined here.

Thank you, @golding76. Yes, my thought is not accusatory, specifically, but just to be aware of how, pieced together (mosaic was a perfect description), some of what you say might one day come back to bite you on the rear.

How right you are @Moonchilde.

Say for instance that I could be a left handed blue eyed 50 year old woman who pays her credit cards each month in full and prefers to write checks. I also look after my 76 year old mother Helen who has just got her first cell phone.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

Pets' names could be problematic too, especially if one uses it as a password anywhere.