- Do you have a birthmark
- What age group do you fall into
- Do you pay bills online or write a check
- Does anyone file with H&R Block online
- What do you like to collect
- How many RR Xings on your commute
- Right-handed or left-handed
- What time do you eat dinner

Individually, not much. Silly to worry about some of these, right? But if a data miner wanted to (some people earn a living or a 'bounty' doing it) - People post where they live, when they go on vacation, many other bits of info, and the threads above plus many others. These were just 3-4 days worth. "You" could be deciphered between what's public record searchable knowledge and what's posted here.

OK, i'm not disagreeing with you but I will answer your questions...

Color of Eyes   Brown

Birthmark   Lower right back

Age Group   30-45

Paybills     both check and online

H&R Block online    No, in person

Collect?    Sports figurines

RR Xings    3

Right handed

Dinner 5:30, sometimes 6:30

Vacation.....no vacations

These answers do not nor can they identify me.  The questions are so basic as do you wear pants or put a dress on everyday.

Your really need to get to the meat and potatoes of a person to physically identify them.  

I firmly believe giving your life history on FB is 100X worse than a general discussion on these boards.   Also, someone could be using general questions like these for their masters degree or maybe a paper they need to write on profiling but I find it very difficult for Aunt Mable's identity to be revealed.

Honored Contributor

Re: Contributing to our own loss of privacy

BalletBabe wrote:

@chickenbutt  Do you believe on facebook someone asked me what my Mothers maiden name was?    Just last week.  I said sorry I do not give information out like that online. 

Yikes, right?    That's just bizarre.  Glad you didn't answer.

Honored Contributor

Call me paranoid, but I am suspect of those who start threads asking for the types of info mentioned in the OP.  Good thread Moonchilde.

Esteemed Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

I agree with everything you said, however these forums are private to QVC and need a password to participate (not infalliable).  Which means that the information provided here isn't immediately available to the World Wide Web. Granted, we still need to be careful as anyone can register and participate but having a password to participate is far better than raw info being disseminated to the entire web .... but certainly something to always keep in mind no matter where we're discussing.....

Thanks for your thoughtful reminder....  

@I could be mistaken @Q4u, but I believe any thread here is on view for all to see, anywhere. If you google certain topics, a QVC thread may come up as a site to click on.

Anyone?

@SaRina...  You're correct

Esteemed Contributor

Long ago, when all the inter-net appeal started, I resolved to not give out my personal information. 

Even the forums here ask lots of quesitons that one shouldn't answer, not even for fun. 

I don't Facebook or Tweet. 

Never have had the hacking or stealing issues many have by not being wise about the many inquiries.  I don't enter the give aways or contests either. 

Comes a time when folks have to grow up and realize not to entertain foolish fantasies about sharing their personal information. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

There was a person who posted once that she has told many lies on these forums for privacy reasons. 

Just boggles the mind.  Why post? 

Honored Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

ITA @Moonchilde.There has been a more recent poster who seems to be fond of starting canvassing-type threads. Interestingly, this poster stopped posting under her/his nic at the same time a new nic appeared around here with the same type of canvassing questions.

I don't usually notice stuff like this -- I am not a detective here... nor do I care to be -- but this poster has been so obvious even to me.

I agree. I haven't kept track of the "who" except this past weekend it was so obvious, that's what got me started looking at thread titles. There are always random questions from familiar posters, but the past couple of months with "personal" info (as in, on forms & info people typically fill out, and pet's info) seems a lot more frequent over the past month or two. Something as innocuous-sounding as do you board your dogs when you go away, who has chihuahuas & who has pitbulls.

I'm thinkin' the innocent-sounding questions are just about asked-out, only the really obvious are left.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Regular Contributor

@Goldie76

Yep; it still does come up on google.

@Moonchilde   THANKS for reminding us to be safe!!

Honored Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

ITA @Moonchilde.There has been a more recent poster who seems to be fond of starting canvassing-type threads. Interestingly, this poster stopped posting under her/his nic at the same time a new nic appeared around here with the same type of canvassing questions.

I don't usually notice stuff like this -- I am not a detective here... nor do I care to be -- but this poster has been so obvious even to me.

I made that connection also.

Honored Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

This is a very sage post, Moonchilde.  After too many "small potato" posts of personal information, a mosaic can be created from your data and that found for free online..  

My antennae have been up, and at times I think I reveal too much.  However, what I reveal is typically my reaction to or opinion of something rather than my characteristics or habits.

Like you, I do not think that most who visit this forum have sinister motives, but there could be someone out there who exploits information mined here.

Thank you, @golding76. Yes, my thought is not accusatory, specifically, but just to be aware of how, pieced together (mosaic was a perfect description), some of what you say might one day come back to bite you on the rear.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all