Super Contributor

My former feral has been constipated half her life. My vet suggested 1/8 tsp. of Miralax (for humans) mixed into some canned food once a day. But I suggest you check with your vet first.

Respected Contributor

I have a cat with similar problems (he's also older).

First, his system doesn't tolerate ANY dry food- grain free, or not. He can only have canned.

Second, 2x per day, I give him... (but you can do it more if needed)

"Animal Essentials Plant Enzymes & Probiotics" (Amazon has good prices)

+

"Newton Homeopathic Bladder & Kidney", +" Vitality & Energy Assist" (also Newton) I buy this online at Only Natural Pet. All of these remedies were recommended to me by an angel at a local high-end pet store. She was extremely knowledgeable about natural remedies.

These have been an absolute lifesaver for my boy cat. He used to strain so hard at times that he literally screamed or threw up (poor guy!)

Good luck- hope this helps.

Esteemed Contributor

I had a cat with renal failure that progressed through all the phrases before his death from heart failure, and have had 3 other cats who died ultimately of kidney failure.

At a certain point, in addition to the subq fluids, you may find yourself asking your vet for something called "Lactulose," a syrupy concoction that can be put on their food or dribbled into their mouths, either every day or every other day. He went on this in his final year every other day in small doses and it worked wonders.

This was the only effective tool that helped our cat when he got constipated as he progressed to the more advanced stages of kidney failure.

Honored Contributor

Thank you Indy-Blonde, goldenretriever and Sammycat. I've jotted down your suggestions and will run them past the vet.

I did make a run to the store for a can of real pumpkin and she ate...maybe...a half teaspoonful. I'll try her on a bit more before bed.

Super Contributor

Unfortunately, I've had quite a lot of experience with this problem. You need to watch carefully what she does and doesn't do. Make sure she pees. If they can't pee because of a blockage, they can die very quickly. Constipation is a lot of times associated with a mega-colon, but not all the time. One of my cats was constipated regularly but did not have a mega-colon. I would have to bring him to the vet for enemas quite often. The vet also prescribed the lactulose that I would have to shoot down his throat with a syringe. It wasn't fun and I felt so sorry for the poor guy. I would try the natural remedies, also.

Honored Contributor

I once had a cat in this situation. I didn't recognize it early on so she required a Vet visit wherein she was flushed out, and afterward, I had to give her a daily dose of metamucil in a large needleless syringe. Fortunately, this cat had a huge mouth, and opened it readily, unlike any of the other cats.

Trusted Contributor

My cat absolutely loved pumpkin. It was her daily treat.

Honored Contributor
On 9/3/2014 tansy said:
On 9/3/2014 SPURT said:
On 9/3/2014 tansy said:

My cat is almost 16 and was diagnosed six months ago with stage 2 kidney disease. We have a small home and have three large water bowls out for her. She may be slightly dehydrated but not much. I judge this by how quickly the fur on the scruff of her neck goes back down when pulled up and released. She does walk around and jump on furniture for a bit of exercise. She makes frequent, unproductive trips to her box but is able to pee.

I've never had a cat with constipation before. Suggestions welcomed. She's very skitters about vet visits.

My sister's cat has this same problem, my sis had to take her cat to the vet to have her rear end glands cleaned out--although your cat does not like vet visits, it might be the only way to help the problem. And as you already have done, make sure the cat drinks plenty of water...he also gave her some medicine in a tube....

If this problem doesn't resolve itself by early afternoon tomorrow, we'll take her in for sure. You're that funny poster over in Q Talk, aren't you? I have enjoyed your posts. I meant "funny poster" in a good waySmiley Happy

Hi Tansy....yep that's me from Q DID WHAT? ...... I am an animal and especially a cat lover, I have 2 Tuxedo cats---Figgy and Puddin'.........thank you for your kind words about my posts....

I hope all goes well with your kitty

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor
On 9/3/2014 tansy said:
She's extremely difficult to pill, too.

The laxative is in a tube, like toothpaste. Mine is flavored (you can get different ones like tuna or catnip) and my cat would lick it off of a spoon.

Respected Contributor

Poor Lucy! She is getting constipated because of her Kidney dz. This will most likely be an ongoing issue for her so building a game plan with your vet is in order. Pumpkin and lactulose are a good start. They are fiber and Vaseline type products. Canned food diet will increase her water intake. Add even more water to her canned food. Her having access to three water bowls is great. BE VERY CAREFUL of giving any kind of laxative product. Many of them work by drawing water from the body into the intestine. Lucy can't afford the fluid loss at this point as she is dehydrated all ready. Hope all ""goes"" well for Lucy!