Trusted Contributor

Re: Confession - I don't want to decorate

My MIL  quit  putting  up anything years ago. My FIL  says it doesn't fill like Christmas  until he comes to my house.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal

@qualitygal wrote:

@Mz iMac, can I join your group? Sounds good to me. LOL

There's always room for 1 more. Smiley Very Happy

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

All I put up are a coupe wreaths, and I think I might be done doing the entertaining. I didn't do it this Thankssgiving, and although it was a little lonely, I think I kind of liked not busting my tail for everyone else for the first time in decades.

Honored Contributor

I suggest converting to Judaism.  It's really much easier at this time of year.  There's nothing to put away later, either!  Smiley Happy   

The downside is it's not as much fun and we aren't supposed to eat ham, shrimp, or cheeseburgers!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee  Why not cheeseburgers?

Honored Contributor

Some years are easier than others to get in the spirit. Health, family issues, money, work stress, or the state of the world can all affect our feelings and abilities. 

Don't feel guilty for how you feel! I think as time passes for many of us, all the 'stuff' of Christmas gets a bit overwhelming. Not a thing wrong with taking it easy this year (or the next or forever if that is what works for you!). The season comes and it goes, whether we 'do' anything for it or not.

I know I'm done with big trees. Smaller 5 foot trees or a conservative 6 foot are all I'm going to do anymore. I don't like storing the bigger trees, or the dragging them out or all the space they take or the furniture to move. That alone is a big deal for me now, to make the tree(s) small and simple. Allows me to get excited about some other parts of the season. 

Maybe think what you still love/look forward to, and what you don't and do just one or two of the easier things that seem appealing. 

Whatever you do or don't do, it's all going to be good!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Pearlee  Why not cheeseburgers?

@Mz iMac  We aren't supposed to mix milk products and meat products.  That's if one keeps Kosher, which I don't.  Orthodox Jews keep two entirely separate sets of dishes, one for milk products and one for meat products. 

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee  Thank you so much.  I live in a mostly Jewish community & never knew about the cheeseburgers.  I forgot all about the dairy & meat product mixture taboo.

Trusted Contributor

I gave it up several years ago when I found myself feeling the same way. Eventually, I even found new homes for all of my holiday décor. It was one of the best decisions ever! I now enjoy the holiday season so much more. I appreciate all the decorations others put up and/or put out, because I know how much work went into it. Before I was so busy thinking about my own holiday checklist, I missed out on fully enjoying all the beauty around me. It also has allowed me to think about others more – I am no longer worried about what I get done, when it gets done, how it looks, do I need something new, etc.? Now, it is all about appreciation of what others have done. Glad you are indulging yourself this year. You may find that is beginning of a whole new way to celebrate the season. Enjoy (no guilt)!

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

Do what feels right for you.  I typically don't put out a lot of decor for Christmas.  I have a few areas where I like to decorate.  I go out for Christmas, so I don't have a need to bring out one of my big trees.  A three foot tree with only lights fits the bill for me.  Enjoy whatever you do.