Respected Contributor

I've been having computer problems for a few days.  Cox was unable to fix it and said I should take it to a computer store.  Just wondering if anyone has used Data Doctors or any other computer repair business and what your experience was.  TIA 

Respected Contributor

@Catty2 wrote:

I've been having computer problems for a few days.  Cox was unable to fix it and said I should take it to a computer store.  Just wondering if anyone has used Data Doctors or any other computer repair business and what your experience was.  TIA 

Many computer problems can be fixed without the need of a professional.  If you post your problem over at the electronics board, I'm sure you will get very good advice.  At least try that first then take it to a repair shop. 

electronics forum

Valued Contributor

@Catty2 wrote:

What kind of computer and what problems?

Honored Contributor

Who is Cox?  I agree with the others - describe the problems, type of computer, operating system etc in the Electronics forum.

Respected Contributor

Cox is a cable/internet provider so I doubt they can fix your computer.  Describe your problem and device.  Lots of smart people on the Electronics board may be able to help you/

Honored Contributor

The only times I ever paid somebody to fix a computer problem, it never got fixed but, of course, I still had to pay.

My best results have come from Googling my problem to see if there is anything online, such as others having that same problem and knowledgeable people who offer ideas, or just figuring it out myself.   

Beyond that, if I cannot get there, I end up replacing it.    The amount of money paid out, especially on an old computer, is more than it's worth so I'd put that toward a new one.

I do hope you find help.   Since you gave no clues, nobody here can help unless you decide to share.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

The only times I ever paid somebody to fix a computer problem, it never got fixed but, of course, I still had to pay.

My best results have come from Googling my problem to see if there is anything online, such as others having that same problem and knowledgeable people who offer ideas, or just figuring it out myself.   

Beyond that, if I cannot get there, I end up replacing it.    The amount of money paid out, especially on an old computer, is more than it's worth so I'd put that toward a new one.

I do hope you find help.   Since you gave no clues, nobody here can help unless you decide to share.  Smiley Happy

Agreed. Whatever problem you're having someone else likely had and has found a solution for. Google and support forums are great resources.  Whoever manufactured your computer likely has support forums for your computer. Just make sure you're clear on what the problem is and you can get quick, effective help. If you're vague about the problem "it doesn't work right" you won't get good responses, but if you're very clear "I got an error message that said blah, blah, blah" or "this happens when I do that" you'll likely find a quick resolution without having to put it into a shop.

Even many/most hardware issues can be easily fixed by a home user for a fraction of the cost of having it done in a shop. Things like swapping out power supplies, hard drives, optical drives, etc. are all quite easy and there are countless videos on YouTube showing you how to do pretty much anything step by step.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!