Honored Contributor

Re: Common household items you DON'T have

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@gidgetgh  I'm pleased to know there are actually (not just in storybooks or on TV) people who don't keep things they don't use.

However, as I sit here I can't help but wonder what does one do with a garment or item that tears in the moment you are about to leave the house on a very important mission?  Do you put a piece of tape over it?  Do you throw it out?  Do you spit on it (like when we (I mean I) did when I was a kit) and hope for the best?

If I sound flippant, perhaps....However, I am also curious.  I DO know someone who's house is as perfect as anything can be.  Needless to say she HATES me, really, because I stand for (I guess) imperfection.  I don't know really because I can't stand being around anyone who never has a boo boo happen to their life where they might need a pin in a hurry....

@Annabellethecat66- if I have something rip or tear, a safety pin isn't going to help it. But, to be honest, I'd quickly change. And I haven't had anything rip or tear in years. I seriously don't remember the last time. If I did, I'd see if alterations could repair it. If they couldn't, I'd throw it out. 

And your post is awfully harsh, don't you think?  I hardly live a perfect life, far from it, just like the rest of us, but I don't use safety pins and I don't keep stuff around the house that I don't use. That's how I choose to live MY life. And I have plenty of "boo boos" as you call them. But if you "couldn't stand being around me",  that's ok with me. 

Have a nice day. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

I have an old Erno Lazlo soap box full of all different sizes of safety pins in my kitchen whatnot drawer, and I've had that box for over 30 years and it's come in handy A LOT. Like Annabellethecat, I can't understand not having them available. I even have "pinnies," a safety pin with a bump-out in the saber arm that allows you to use it to hold a shank button in place until you have time to sew it on. Sort of like a cotter pin.

Maybe the difference between those who have these small ordinaries and those who don't is what's clear in the posts: Some of us see safety pins and rubber bands and paper clips as necessities that perform vital functions, and to others, they're useless. 

I use a rubber band to secure my checkbook case in my purse so it won't flop open. I rubber-band my monthly datebook to my advance planner so they're always together. Opened bags of chips are closed with a bulldog clip or the top is rolled down and the whole bag rubber banded. I have a big rubber band wound tightly around the end of my working pen to distinguish it from other pens. Etc.

I also have an item somewhat discredited here, a rice cooker, but mine is the microwave version from Pampered Chef. I thought I overpaid when I bought it, but I've used it regularly for the past decade and love it.

I think this boils down to the old truth of stuff, that if it has a place in your life and you want it and use it, have it. If not, you're probably better off not keeping it around. If it applies to husbands, why not safety pins?

Honored Contributor

I don't have a pressure cooker or slow cooker because I hate the results of both products. I do not have a bread maker, rice maker or waffle maker.  I also do not have a home theater system or a smart phone. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I DO have the essentials.......

needle and thread, safety pins---are must haves---you never know when a button can come loose (especially if the button is placed in a strategic place---unless you like showing your bra style)

Yep, I have some rubber bands---we used these to secure shoeboxes that we filled with goodies and toys for a Christmas Charity Project--these come in handy from time to time....

Iron---a necessary evil---some of my clothes I hang to dry and they need pressing and steamers just don't quite get the job done on certain fabrics...

baking soda/powder---baking soda can neutralize acids in foods like tomato sauce without adding a sweet taste that sugar does....baking soda can also be used in cleaning.  Baking powder makes dough rise....If you cook ---handy products.

I do have band aids---needed for unforseen first aid.......

I also have essential office supplies---paper clips, scotch tape, packing tape,  pens/pencils..

I don't have alcohol, soft drink ---only purchase when I know friends/family are coming over-- (primarily drink iced tea and hot tea, coffee, water)

I don't use fabric softener---wears down material and dont need that added fragrance on my clothes!!!

I don't use dryer sheets----

I dont have a food processor, nor a Keurig (I have a Black & Decker coffee pot)

I don't own a ladder but maybe I should purchase one.....I borrow a friends....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@GinzTonic wrote:

Bandaids

Oh man, you should come to my house.  I have more band-aids than I'll ever use - every size and type.  I don't know how it got that way, but it started with a big box of assorted sizes from Costco eons ago.  Then I needed more that were fabric - in a couple sizes - because I hurt myself all the time and they stay on better when I am doing chores.  It just snowballed, I guess.   Smiley Happy

@chickenbutt

Band aids certainly come in handy---office work paper cuts, arts and craft "incidents",  kitchen prep cuts,   simple home repairs sometimes result in mnor injuries, gardening mishaps---plants with thorns,  rescuing a neighbors cat in bushes---scrapes and cuts.....Cat LOL..

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@GinzTonic wrote:

Bandaids

@GinzTonic- too funny. I don't have any safety pins and only one rubber band, but we have 3,426,046 bandaids. I have no idea why. 

A few months ago I noticed my husband had a bandaid on his finger. A Surfboard Barbie bandaid!  I bought them because I thought they were cute, LOL. 

@gidgetgh

One year a friend gave each of us a small Christmas stocking, one of the items in mine were Hello Kitty bandaids ---she knows I love cats---LOL!!! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Noel7 wrote:

@Burnsite

It sounds wonderful!  I can't believe I've never seen the commercial. I'll look for it, I'm usually up at odd hours of the night but I don't remember that one.  I have seen the one for tile. 

Thanks Woman Very Happy

@Noel7    @SunValley

index.jpg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gidgetgh wrote:

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@gidgetgh  I'm pleased to know there are actually (not just in storybooks or on TV) people who don't keep things they don't use.

However, as I sit here I can't help but wonder what does one do with a garment or item that tears in the moment you are about to leave the house on a very important mission?  Do you put a piece of tape over it?  Do you throw it out?  Do you spit on it (like when we (I mean I) did when I was a kit) and hope for the best?

If I sound flippant, perhaps....However, I am also curious.  I DO know someone who's house is as perfect as anything can be.  Needless to say she HATES me, really, because I stand for (I guess) imperfection.  I don't know really because I can't stand being around anyone who never has a boo boo happen to their life where they might need a pin in a hurry....

@Annabellethecat66- if I have something rip or tear, a safety pin isn't going to help it. But, to be honest, I'd quickly change. And I haven't had anything rip or tear in years. I seriously don't remember the last time. If I did, I'd see if alterations could repair it. If they couldn't, I'd throw it out. 

And your post is awfully harsh, don't you think?  I hardly live a perfect life, far from it, just like the rest of us, but I don't use safety pins and I don't keep stuff around the house that I don't use. That's how I choose to live MY life. And I have plenty of "boo boos" as you call them. But if you "couldn't stand being around me",  that's ok with me. 

Have a nice day. 

@gidgetgh

If you are at work or shopping and a zipper breaks or button comes loose if you have a safety pin and/or tiny sewing kit in your purse and sewing kits ususally come with a safety pin......a quick trip to ladies room can mend your problem, and enable you to finish the work day or shopping until you get home...... The tiny sewing kit was something I purchased at the Dollar Store one time....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt- a random sampling of some of our more "festive" bandaids. 

Honored Contributor

@Spurt- could you actually see the picture of the bandaids I posted?  I posted it the correct way, but when I look at my response, all I see is the text.