@SunValley wrote:

No:

bread maker

rice steamer

pressure cooker

toaster oven

mandolin

dryer sheets

Why I have food processor, I don't know. Used twice in 3 years. Should just donate it.

@SunValley- from your list, we only have dryer sheets.  I'd never use any of the other items you listed.  And someone else mentioned a waffle iron.  I'd never use that either.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Re: Common household items you DON'T have

@ID2 wrote:

Wow I'd go crazy without some of the things you all don't have in your homes! No baking soda, baking powder? Really? How does one bake? No pens, rubber bands, bandaids? I just couldn't function without being prepared for everything. 

@ID2- I rarely cook or bake so no baking soda or powder for us.  BUT, I did just find a recipe on Facebook for Cherry bread that I'm going to make for my husband and it calls for Baking Powder so I added it to my store list yesterday.  It will be the first time in my 61 years that I'll have ever bought baking powder.  I also had to put Vanilla Extract on the list also.  I haven't bought it in years either.

As for the rubber bands, I'm not trying to be cute here, I have no idea what I'd use them for.

We are fully supplied at our house for the things we actually use- pens, paper, stamps, envelopes, bandaids, on and on, but if I don't use an item I don't keep a supply of it.

Respected Contributor

I never seem to have a pen. And, half the time when I find one, it is out of ink!

Those little yellow sticky note things, where they end up is beyond me!

And, heaven forbid if I need a simple pencil ... well, my husband has some out with his tools ... but, where?, is the question here...

I think a trip to Target is in order ...

(And, while I am there, probably should get some more band aids too!).

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

@CAMOGIRL wrote:

I never seem to have a pen. And, half the time when I find one, it is out of ink!

Those little yellow sticky note things, where they end up is beyond me!

And, heaven forbid if I need a simple pencil ... well, my husband has some out with his tools ... but, where?, is the question here...

I think a trip to Target is in order ...

(And, while I am there, probably should get some more band aids too!).

@CAMOGIRL- we have pens galore. I never met a pen I didn't like. And once they run out of ink, I immediately throw them away unless it's refillable, like my Swarovski pens. We keep our pens in three places- in a pen holder thing on our kitchen counter, an organizer thing on top of the desk in our office or in my purse. Oh, and my husband keeps one in his shirt pocket, so that's four places. That's it. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have quite a few things as I like having choice.

No Rice Maker - I can cook rice on the cook top as it's only for my husband.

No Toaster oven - We don't have a need for one. 

No Pressure Cooker - I don't like the way food tastes with that item. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

I just saw where I got some 'hearts' on this subject.  I think that by the time you get old(er) you've acquired many things, especially these (what I see as everyday) items.

You'd have to have a pretty darn clean, junk free house to say you don't have a safety pin anywhere in your house.  They are a handy thing to have.  I used to sew a lot but one day I couldn't find one so I went to the fabric store and stood before the wall of NOTIONS (notions are this and that).  It's kinda like the Heavens opened up for junk/errr stuff collectors like myself.....I won't bore you for what I bought but suffice to say, I don't need ANYTHING now......Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I just saw where I got some 'hearts' on this subject.  I think that by the time you get old(er) you've acquired many things, especially these (what I see as everyday) items.

You'd have to have a pretty darn clean, junk free house to say you don't have a safety pin anywhere in your house.  They are a handy thing to have.  I used to sew a lot but one day I couldn't find one so I went to the fabric store and stood before the wall of NOTIONS (notions are this and that).  It's kinda like the Heavens opened up for junk/errr stuff collectors like myself.....I won't bore you for what I bought but suffice to say, I don't need ANYTHING now......Smiley Happy

@Annabellethecat66- I don't have any safety pins. I haven't used one in years and years. We don't have a "junk free house" by any stretch of the imagination but I don't keep things we don't use. 

Honored Contributor

I tend to not have some of the kitchen type things everyone does. 

I don't have

an ice maker

a dishwasher

a garbage disposal

a food processor

It seems everyone we know has some type of alcohol in the home as well, for either cooking or drinking, but we don't ever have any (my husband will drink a beer when out somewhere and offered, but we just don't drink or keep alcohol even for guests)

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh  I'm pleased to know there are actually (not just in storybooks or on TV) people who don't keep things they don't use.

However, as I sit here I can't help but wonder what does one do with a garment or item that tears in the moment you are about to leave the house on a very important mission?  Do you put a piece of tape over it?  Do you throw it out?  Do you spit on it (like when we (I mean I) did when I was a kit) and hope for the best?

If I sound flippant, perhaps....However, I am also curious.  I DO know someone who's house is as perfect as anything can be.  Needless to say she HATES me, really, because I stand for (I guess) imperfection.  I don't know really because I can't stand being around anyone who never has a boo boo happen to their life where they might need a pin in a hurry....

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

A toaster

Sauce pans......I steam or bake my veggies in corning wear

muffin pans

cake pans

a coffee maker (don't drink it)

a dishwasher