Honored Contributor

@terrier3 wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

No it isn't. There are 15 states where medicaid is allowed to be used for cases other than rape and incest or health of the mother and NY is one of them. I worked with a girl there who was on medicaid and had 2 children. I was about 29 at the time and she was in her 30s. She had 3 abortions in 2 yrs and openly talked about it. Medicaid paid for each one of them. I often wondered why she wasn't on a long term birth control since she was on Medicaid and they would pay for it. IN NYS though there are so many services and other options, both private charity and tax payer funded charity that will fund free birth control if the person cannot afford it and doesn't qualify for Medicaid.

Medicaid is a joint federal/state program. The Hyde Amendment was passed in the mid 70s and doesn't allow federal funds to be used for abortions - except for rape, incest & the life of mother is at risk.

In NY and 14 other states - the STATE picks up the cost of the procedure - 100%.

States are allowed to set up a LOT of rules and regs re":Medicaid. An example is that some states do not allow able bodied single men (or women with no children) to get Medicaid assistance. Only children and mothers with very young children qualify.

This is just semantics. Tax payer money is tax payer money at any level of government.

Honored Contributor

@terrier3 wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@terrier3 wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

No it isn't. There are 15 states where medicaid is allowed to be used for cases other than rape and incest or health of the mother and NY is one of them. I worked with a girl there who was on medicaid and had 2 children. I was about 29 at the time and she was in her 30s. She had 3 abortions in 2 yrs and openly talked about it. Medicaid paid for each one of them. I often wondered why she wasn't on a long term birth control since she was on Medicaid and they would pay for it. IN NYS though there are so many services and other options, both private charity and tax payer funded charity that will fund free birth control if the person cannot afford it and doesn't qualify for Medicaid.

Medicaid is a joint federal/state program. The Hyde Amendment was passed in the mid 70s and doesn't allow federal funds to be used for abortions - except for rape, incest & the life of mother is at risk.

In NY and 14 other states - the STATE picks up the cost of the procedure - 100%.

States are allowed to set up a LOT of rules and regs re":Medicaid. An example is that some states do not allow able bodied single men (or women with no children) to get Medicaid assistance. Only children and mothers with very young children qualify.

Yep I am familiar with the Hyde Agreement and I even support Clintons new version that expanded it to allow for rape and incest. The Hyde agreement restricts the use of funds allocated for Dept of Health and Human Services to be used for abortions except in cases mentioned above so then it will fall on states or counties. I am against federal, state, county, city, hamlet. etc... taxpayer funding of elective abortion. 

When my coworker went for those easily avoidable elective abortions, she used her medicaid card to pay for those procedure. She didn't pay a penny. She used taxpayer money to pay for that whether at a federal, state or county level. 

Would you prefer that she quit her job and go on welfare? I know I wouldn't.

I think using the procedure as "birth control" is outrageous...I know it happens from when I was a pregnancy counselor at PP. But thankfully that is RARE. Most women realize pretty quickly that BC beats a painful medical procedure any day.

I would prefer she take resposibility for what she does, and not put that off on others.

And using abortion as birth control is not exactly rare. I, too have known more than one woman who has used it as such. It happens more than many might think.

Esteemed Contributor

@terrier3 wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

We do offer help to low income families with child care. It is offered through many different places but tax payer and privately funded. The CCAP Child Care Assistance Program is one of them. Then there is the Child Care Development fund that also offers assistance.If you can't find info for your individual state you can call 211 from your phone for free and they will direct you to help with childcare along with lots of other social programs. There are also Flexible Spending Accounts. If you are in the military they also offer subsidies on child care. Certain companies also offer subsidies and benefits for child care and to find out about it you need to contact your human resources office. Even if the particular company does not offer benefits or subsidies much of the time, they can give a person info on where to go.  Also individual day cares that are state licensed also provide assistance with child care and they have a list of private and public funding alternatives when the person calls. Then there is the childcare tax credit (form 2441) and Earned Income Credit that provide money for low income families. Most colleges have childcare assistance programs that offer subsidies for parents going to school there and also have low cost childcare right there on the grounds of the school. I know much of this info myself because I have apt buildings that I lease out and we carry all of that info in our offices for our renters. 

I wouldn't be opposed to our govt offering help for child care on a national level either but we have almost half of Americans who pay no income tax at all so that would definitely have to change for that to happen. 

In my role as a p/t family counselor, I often have to help mothers who have been abandoned by their husbands and need to find jobs. Even when the husband pays child support, it still doesn't allow the mother to stay home and care for her children.

Many of these programs sound great, but due to the sequester and local gvt. situations, they provide counties with a capped amount and there are more people on the waiting list than are actually getting assistance!

Erie County's former exec decided to shut down the program - because the county had to pay 8% of the cost. He gave the mothers two weeks to find alternative childcare. Fortunately the next time he ran, he lost badly...and the program was reinstated. But there are still long waitlists.

Many states reject these federal/local programs outright too.

No, there isn't a perfect answer for everything but there are many many programs out there both private and public. There are actually a lot of private programs outt there that no, they may not pay child care in entirety but they do offer partial payments too. I understand there are lots of things that cause this and there is no easy answer on either side. I do completey disagree that taxpayers need to pay for elective abortions. There are too many things out there now to help people in a position where birth control and emergency birth control are free. There needs to be some responsibilty on the part of the people needing that service. 

Going to get the last piece of peanut butter pie and watch RHOA. It is supposed to be interesting tonight!

Have a nice night Terrier and to the other ladies here! 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@JustJazzmom wrote:

Part of the problem is also that we do not have child care for those who do opt to keep their babies in this country. We do not assist people once a child is born either the way countries in Europe help their people. Abortion rates are way down in European countries maybe because there are programs set up for women to return to work and enroll their child(ren) in a child care program.

I do not like when certain groups are saying no to abortions but do not want to pay for any assistance to aid the parent to re-enter the workforce if the child is born with either work programs or child care.

Why should others pay for this? Unwanted pregnancy in this nation should be so very minimul with all the easy and inexpensive access to birth control. 

Where are the men's and women's responsibilities to provide for and take care of their children? They need to take responsibility for what they do, not society as a whole. Why should business, or taxpayers have to foot the bill? 

This is why this nation is broke. Too many people think that the government (aka the taxpayer) should be providing for everyone from cradle to grave. Not sustainable, not economically smart, plain not right.

All birth control is not 100% effective. Ever hear of the accidental pregnancy even when using birth control? And child care/back to work programs do not pay enough or provide enough services for the parent as they are structured now.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

I'm concerned about overpopulation, our environment, the growing problem of insufficient water. I find those wishing to force women to carry and deliver unwanted children deplorable.  

No one is forcing women to have unwanted children. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

Shakespeare's Sister -

Where exactly did this come from?

There are internet stories saying that he was actually a PP operative who wanted people to symmpathize with them.

And Sandy Hook was a hoax too.

I'd love to know the source of your story.

And why so many people are denying the obvious.

Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

I'm concerned about overpopulation, our environment, the growing problem of insufficient water. I find those wishing to force women to carry and deliver unwanted children deplorable.  

Right. 

But many would like that to be the case.

A desperate woman can use other means to end a pregnancy too, if it's not safe and available.

Honored Contributor

Re: Colorado Springs

[ Edited ]

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

++++++++++++++ 

Irsh,

The blockades against getting an abortion are doing just that.  Some states have closed so many clinics, a lot of women don't have access at all.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

I don't think it's my business what form of bc others use. I don't think women should be punished for having unprotected, irresponsible sx. I would prefer my tax dollars be used for whatever bc they choose than free haircuts for our representatives.

Esteemed Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@JustJazzmom wrote:

Part of the problem is also that we do not have child care for those who do opt to keep their babies in this country. We do not assist people once a child is born either the way countries in Europe help their people. Abortion rates are way down in European countries maybe because there are programs set up for women to return to work and enroll their child(ren) in a child care program.

I do not like when certain groups are saying no to abortions but do not want to pay for any assistance to aid the parent to re-enter the workforce if the child is born with either work programs or child care.

Why should others pay for this? Unwanted pregnancy in this nation should be so very minimul with all the easy and inexpensive access to birth control. 

Where are the men's and women's responsibilities to provide for and take care of their children? They need to take responsibility for what they do, not society as a whole. Why should business, or taxpayers have to foot the bill? 

This is why this nation is broke. Too many people think that the government (aka the taxpayer) should be providing for everyone from cradle to grave. Not sustainable, not economically smart, plain not right.

All birth control is not 100% effective. Ever hear of the accidental pregnancy even when using birth control? And child care/back to work programs do not pay enough or provide enough services for the parent as they are structured now.

I just listed 3 programs from taxes alone that would help subsidize the cost of child care among many more. Will you probably find one program that covers 100% of child care? No, you won't but most of these programs especially the private ones allow you to use more than one. Having a kid definitely costs money, they aren't cheap. That is why it is the responsibility of individuals to be vigilant and prepare the best they can. After all, it is the responsibility of individual citizens to take care of their OWN CHILDREN and not the govt. The govt and private charities and citizens can certainly offer help but the parents are ultimately responsible. This should not come as a surprise. 

JFK