Respected Contributor

Remember years ago people collected stuff like bears, dolls, art glass, baskets, figurines, etc?  We would collect something that we enjoyed and assumed they would go up in value.  Guess what?  They don't go up in value.  I have been trying to "unload" Precious Moments, collector plates, Matchbox cars and no one wants them.  QVC used to do a Collector's Day which went by the wayside quite a while ago.

Today no one seems to collect anything.  Are the younger people smarter than us and realize there is no value?  Just wondering.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Collectibles

[ Edited ]

9/11 happened and many luxuries fell by the way side. You are supposed to collect to enjoy and not use it as an investment. 401k's fail, the stock market fails and it's all paper. Your collectibles should hold fond memories of a time gone by and a beauty that you enjoyed.  Younger people still have a long way to go.  They are to busy on youtube, internet, streaming, videos and living for the moment.  We will see that works out for them. Hopefully it's not older people watching and making the Kardashians's rich and not people over 40 - hope they have more sense.

Respected Contributor

Yes, it is sad.  There is no market for them at all that I am finding. I have been looking around because I would like to get rid of mine.  I have considered just donating them but haven't been able to do that yet so I will hold onto them for now.   I wish I sold them years ago.  I would of made some good money. 

I even talked to an owner of a shop and he said that only certain rare pieces sell otherwise there is no market for them. 

People are now into technology with all the bells and whistles. I don't know many young people that care for this stuff.  They are glued to gadgets. 

Respected Contributor

@hopi wrote:

9/11 happened and many luxuries fell by the way side. You are supposed to collect to enjoy and not use it as an investment. 401k's fail, the stock market fails and it's all paper. Your collectibles should hold fond memories of a time gone by and a beauty that you enjoyed.  Younger people still have a long way to go.  They are to busy on youtube, internet, streaming, videos and living for the moment.  We will see that works out for them. Hopefully it's old people watching and making the Kardashians's rich and not people over 40 - hope they have more sense.

I used to collect for enjoyment.  But, as I have gotten older I realize that I don't have as much room to display and/or store them.  And, my kids don't want me leaving this stuff to them. 

Honored Contributor

I have seen Cherished Teddies at Goodwill for .99 cents.

And there was no one left to speak out for me....
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is all so true and so sad.  While we are still enjoying most of what we collected, the time is getting closer when we will have to get rid of stuff.  No one wants it anymore.  I think it is also due to the fact the pace of life grows ever faster with our kids, so they need things streamlined and not saddled down with piles of stuff.  If something doesn't go in the dishwasher, forget it.  And from what I have read, this is just the way it is.  I do, however, want the things that have been in my family and passed down, to remain in the family.  And how do I do that?  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Winkk wrote:

@hopi wrote:

9/11 happened and many luxuries fell by the way side. You are supposed to collect to enjoy and not use it as an investment. 401k's fail, the stock market fails and it's all paper. Your collectibles should hold fond memories of a time gone by and a beauty that you enjoyed.  Younger people still have a long way to go.  They are to busy on youtube, internet, streaming, videos and living for the moment.  We will see that works out for them. Hopefully it's old people watching and making the Kardashians's rich and not people over 40 - hope they have more sense.

I used to collect for enjoyment.  But, as I have gotten older I realize that I don't have as much room to display and/or store them.  And, my kids don't want me leaving this stuff to them. 

@Winkk

They don't worry about selling them at a good price to leave them the kids more money. Gift them to charities, children or donate if you have to much.

becomes a problem.

Dinner for 2 is over $100. A pizza can be $35 and a 5 day vacation in the thousands of dollars.  You got to enjoy your money longer.

Honored Contributor

During the 1980's and 90's I purchased some pieces of the collectibles that the OP mentioned. But I never bought to 'collect' or 'invest' for the future. 

I bought Longaberger baskets, because I loved them, used them in my decor, and as functioning pieces. I bought vintage looking teddy bears because I used them in my decor, I bought several Fenton lamps and a couple pieces of their glassware to fit my Victorian style decor, and so on with several other lines of 'collectibles'.

I never bought tons of anything, I used most of what I bought, and have thinned down those collections somewhat over the years as my tastes have changed, but still have many (and use them) of the things I bought. 

I found that with many lines of things, they changed over time, and weren't the same as the early pieces I bought. It was easy to quit buying, because I no longer liked the new look. 

Then there were antique and vintage items I collected. Rolling pins (all of about 5), tins with various food advertising, metal watering cans etc. that were useful and decorative. I've kept a few of each, but have scaled those back as well.

As to the younger generation and their not collecting, I do think a lot of it is today's technology. They are so involved in it and consumed by it, that they don't see other things, or have interest in other things. I also know that some people (not just younger ones) are much more into experience than things. They easily spend their money (and time) on travel and destinations and experiences, rather than things to dust, or store in boxes in the attic or basement. I wish I'd done a little more of that when I was younger, and a little less collecting. 

Honored Contributor

The only thing I collect that my nieces and nephew show any interest in is money.  The nieces have admired my enagement ring.

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

As to the younger generation and their not collecting, I do think a lot of it is today's technology. They are so involved in it and consumed by it, that they don't see other things, or have interest in other things. I also know that some people (not just younger ones) are much more into experience than things. They easily spend their money (and time) on travel and destinations and experiences, rather than things to dust, or store in boxes in the attic or basement. I wish I'd done a little more of that when I was younger, and a little less collecting. 

I agree.  And, young people are spending a lot more on their technology devices then I ever did on collectibles.