@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

There are some religious societies that are pretty cloistered, even still.  You are only allowed to believe certain things, think a certain way, and consider everybody who doesn't think like you, or believe what you believe, to be the dammed.  

Stuff like that leaves a pretty narrow world view.

A narrow view of the world still would not make a person or society intolerant or not accepting of differences. 

It usually does.  If people aren't introduced to a variety of ideas they usually don't learn to think on their own, or they may not consider new information that challenges what they already think.

Just have to disagree.  You are making sweeping generalizations about groups of people based upon what. Your personal experiences and beliefs. 

No @CrazyDaisy, based on studies and how it really is in the real world. These are facts.  Humans self-segregate for the purposes of being with those who look like them and share the same values.  It's true and has always been true.  Nothing more than being human.  Humans do this, just like animals do.  A wolf pack contains what?  Wolves.  A herd of elephants contain what?  Elephants. Humans do the same thing.  The problem when humans doing it ~ since we're the higher species is to further sub categorize based on many other social constructs like race, ethnic group, and wealth.

If a wealthy minority community moves into a wealthy White neighborhood you would think that at least one other sub culture is eliminated.  That one would be where wealth is a criteria.

Why do you keep avoiding the question, just because a group chooses to segregate themselves does not make them intolerant and not accepting of differences.  It is how they choose to live.  They are not hurting anybody, if you choose to believe and live as they do you are accepted to live in their community, they do not look down or think less of those who do not.  Seems to me that they are not the ones who are intolerant.

I'm not avoiding anything.  If people choose to remain insular it's because they are intolerant of others.  That's my belief.  That's what studies show.  You ought to even know this if you're a middle classed person.  Do you hob nob with rich folk?  Even ever invited?  No.  You won't be unless you're as rich as them.

The insular and cloistered include class as well.  

I have to whole heartedly disagree with this statement.  By your own example if you are not out hob nobbing with the homeless people, you are the intolerant one. 

Good for you!  Those who choose to remain insular do so because it's so much easier and its far less to think or worry about anything other than what they have going on.  I stand by comment.  Nothing wrong with disagreeing.  We can learn from one another with the proper discourse.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@itiswhatitis  Yes, you do. 

My point is, in the end, every person is going to feel/act/think all the things people are stating as what is wrong with society because they have not experienced those things that others have; how can they? As you said, it's a lot of experiences.

So you develop an open mind? You choose not to be judgmental? Not easy, but it can be done. I don't think ANYONE, however, can be non-judgemental in some way. Again, as you also pointed out: experiences, culture, religious beliefs, social standing....all play a role.

It simply is what it is. Smiley Happy

@SahmIam, I'd say think bigger than what you're being told.  Use some common sense and get out there and see your world.  I know it's hard.  It's the only way to do it though.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis  I can tell you this after traveling the world, being in some dangerous situations, seeing suffering up front and center and being brought up in a lifestyle of privilege:

For ME, my rule of  Life is don't demand what you won't deliver. 

That's all I can ask of myself and of others. Beyond that, carry on people. 

Honored Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@Marp wrote:

Do you think people that grew up in or live socially cloistered lives tend to be more inflexible in their thinking, tolerance and acceptance of differences than those from more diverse communities?

For the purpose of this discussion "socially cloistered" means an environment where nearly everyone has the same background and exposures that would limit how they see society beyond their individual experiences (i.e., I've never seen/heard that, who would think that way, that can't be true).

No, because I don't think people in general are that simple-minded.

Tolerance isn't necessarily a good thing - many things shouldn't be tolerated.

I don't know who said this, but, "To tolerate the intolerable and to never cast judgment are manifestations of moral cowardice."

JMO.

@YorkieonmyPillow

I like that quote!  And I agree with it.

Esteemed Contributor

@itiswhatitis That's your opinion and that's fine.

The fact of the matter is, no one knows what anyone else is thinking.

The term "group think" makes no sense.

Esteemed Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@Marp wrote:

Do you think people that grew up in or live socially cloistered lives tend to be more inflexible in their thinking, tolerance and acceptance of differences than those from more diverse communities?

For the purpose of this discussion "socially cloistered" means an environment where nearly everyone has the same background and exposures that would limit how they see society beyond their individual experiences (i.e., I've never seen/heard that, who would think that way, that can't be true).

But they are, just that simple minded!  Many of them are.  I call it group-thinking.

They are not, your generalizations make no sense.  Lumping people together like that is very prejudicial.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@itiswhatitis  I can tell you this after traveling the world, being in some dangerous situations, seeing suffering up front and center and being brought up in a lifestyle of privilege:

For ME, my rule of  Life is don't demand what you won't deliver. 

That's all I can ask of myself and of others. Beyond that, carry on people. 

This really is an excellent way to view it!  I agree with you here.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow, because you don't know what it means, it doesn't make sense?

Here it is for you: 

groupthink

noun

the practice of approaching problems or issues as matters that are best dealt with by consensus of a group rather than by individuals acting independently; conformity.
the lack of individual creativity, or of a sense of personalresponsibility, that is sometimes characteristic of group interaction.

Simply put "think for yourself."  It's what I tried to instill in my children.  Question everything.
*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cloistered Society

[ Edited ]

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@Marp wrote:

But they are, just that simple minded!  Many of them are.  I call it group-thinking.

They are not, your generalizations make no sense.  Lumping people together like that is very prejudicial.

@YorkieonmyPillowYou don't know what you're talking about.  If you belong to a political party are you being prejudicial?  If you belong to a certain religious group are you prejudicial?  No.  You do have some things in common with the others in your group.  It would be good, however to be able to think for ones self no matter what groups we belong to.  Individuation is still paramount even when you belong to a group!

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow, because you don't know what it means, it doesn't make sense?

Here it is for you: 

groupthink

noun

the practice of approaching problems or issues as matters that are best dealt with by consensus of a group rather than by individuals acting independently; conformity.
the lack of individual creativity, or of a sense of personalresponsibility, that is sometimes characteristic of group interaction.

Simply put "think for yourself."  It's what I tried to instill in my children.  Question everything.

Um....I didn't say that I didn't know what it means.

Come on.

I said it doesn't make sense.

For all we know - this won't be a popular statement - but for all we know, the SS and Nazi guards were screaming mentally even as they committed atrocities.

Anyway, I got a heart from Noel so my day is made.....