Esteemed Contributor

Do you think people that grew up in or live socially cloistered lives tend to be more inflexible in their thinking, tolerance and acceptance of differences than those from more diverse communities?

For the purpose of this discussion "socially cloistered" means an environment where nearly everyone has the same background and exposures that would limit how they see society beyond their individual experiences (i.e., I've never seen/heard that, who would think that way, that can't be true).

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

Yes.  Lack of exposure.  Fear of the unknown.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Esteemed Contributor

While that may be an interesting study,anyone posting here would only be doing so on conjecture or limited to their personal experiences. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@Marp wrote:

Do you think people that grew up in or live socially cloistered lives tend to be more inflexible in their thinking, tolerance and acceptance of differences than those from more diverse communities?

For the purpose of this discussion "socially cloistered" means an environment where nearly everyone has the same background and exposures that would limit how they see society beyond their individual experiences (i.e., I've never seen/heard that, who would think that way, that can't be true).

Yes.  Yep.  Yepper!  It's a scientific fact.  It's part of the human condition.  What you describe is not intentional necessarily, but yeah those who lead fairly homogenous lives will only know and understand their own lives.

One good thing though is that the world is open to people via internet and media.  Oft times what is viewed by others as it relates to other cultures, is misguided because there is not true world contact.  Cultural norms, their place in society and so on is compared to others' and often not grounded in reality.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

While that may be an interesting study,anyone posting here would only be doing so on conjecture or limited to their personal experiences. 

Why do you say this @CrazyDaisy.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

I have known and continue to know people who firmly believe that if they haven't personally experienced something, don't have a close friend or family member who has experienced something, or "have never heard" of something - it simply doesn't exist, isn't true, cannot be and anyone who insists otherwise exaggerates, is a liar, stupid, etc., etc.

I have never seen a common denominator among them as to worldliness or lack thereof, insulation in a "community" or anything like that. In fact I'd say more the opposite in my personal experience - IMO it's often people who should "know better" as they *have* been exposed to a variety of peoples, situations and viewpoints.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@Preds wrote:

I would disagree, lack of exposure could also foster curiosity.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Absolutely, no doubt about it!

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Preds wrote:

I would disagree, lack of exposure could also foster curiosity.

Yes, but it might have to stop there for some societies.  It would be good if they had the means to travel and/or study other cultures.  However, it's still best to immerse one's self in another culture to understand it.  I believe this because there are so many sub cultures within cultures and it would be hard for them not to generalize.

*Call Tyrone*
Respected Contributor

I grew up in a small rural area where the main livihood was farming and ranching. We didn't have any African Americans living in our town. And only a couple of Mexican families. It was really a pretty much all Caucasion community. I was a Sophomore in high school before I actually saw an African American and that was at a nearby college. Now my parents raised us to not judge any one by the color of their skin, religious beliefs, political affliations or their sexual preferences. They told us that everyone is created by God and that all we should judge anyone on is how they treat us. Now I have to say to this day I think that was great advice and it has served me well. When I grew up and moved to a city I never gave a thought to any of these things. I just saw and still do see all of us as human beings and I feel like there is good and bad in every race. So I think it has less to do with where you are raised and live and more to do with how you were raised.