Honored Contributor

Re: Class of 2015 Lowest SAT Scores in Years

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I heard on the (world?) news last night that more college students smoke pot than smoke cigarettes.

You'd think the high schoolers would be grappling to get to college.

(There's a reason they call it dope......)

That significance is that the rate of cigarette smoking has gone way down, not that MJ is so prevalent.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Trusted Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

A hundred years ago (lol), I passed the SAT's with flying colors.  Without SAT study books/classes or college prep.  Plain public schools all the way through.    (Patting myself on the shoulder right now....)

The SAT does not have a passing score.  Colleges set their own acceptable scores.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Are we talking nationally in 2015 or are we talking about one specific state?  I can tell you one thing about a high school near me. I helped my 17 year old neighbor study for and take practice SAT tests in the Spring. I taught high school English for 30 years, and I was shocked to discover that in her schooling she has never had any grammar formally taught to her, nor many other areas of the writing process. What she has learned, and I had to give her props, she picked up on her own, from her brother and parents, and from me. I hated giving her quicky answers in a crash course each time we took on one of the SAT practice questions. Fortunately, she is a quick study. There are a lot of really great things that the schools in my area do with students, but there are so many gaps. If the SAT is the gold standard, then some attention must be given to basic core skills. You can't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Honored Contributor

@abbeythe 8th wrote:

@ROMARY wrote:

A hundred years ago (lol), I passed the SAT's with flying colors.  Without SAT study books/classes or college prep.  Plain public schools all the way through.    (Patting myself on the shoulder right now....)

The SAT does not have a passing score.  Colleges set their own acceptable scores.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, I should have avoided the word 'passed'.  That particular university was very pleased with my scores, which made me very happy!  I don't recall the exact scores/numbers right now; too lazy to look/find my paperwork/notes.  Heart

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Weren't there two major tests?  I recall SAT's and possibly also another one?  One of the tests seemed (to me, anyway) like an all-day venture.  Gee, so many years ago..........Just about everything appears to be a lot less time-consuming now-a-days. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

The other major exam is the ACT.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks, Nomless.  That's right, the ACT.  It's been so very long ago, and I was a 'clueless' seventeen-year-old.  In those days, some parents weren't familiar with the testing, etc., and I really didn't have a clue, either. Oh, well.........I'm so very glad that I did what I did when I was young, and don't have to worry about studying/grades now.  Sometimes I think: 'How did I do all of 'this and that'? My gosh.  So much memorizing in those days, without the benefit of an instant computer/whatever phones/gadgets/etc. Our brains were our 'mini-computers', memorizing all of the input.

Honored Contributor

And yet local jurisdictions continue to tax us into oblivion, as they foster increasingly ludicrous budgets to supposedly educate those little charmers...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

I think the low SAT scores is a result of No Child Left Behind.  I've seen my grandchildren's homework and it's ridiculous.

If I had children in school today, it would be private school for sure. 

Respected Contributor

Burnsite, your post hit the 'nail on the head'.