Honored Contributor

If I were young with a family, I think it would be fun to get a permit and go cut a tree in the national forest around here.  There are so many varieties that would make beautiful Christmas trees.  I'm always spotting "the perfect tree" as I drive through the area.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

One other suggestion.  Have you tried that"lightkeeper" christmas light fixer that looks like a gun?  It works, really.  I've had mine for years and have gotten at least another year or two out of lights that I couldn't get to work after checking all the bulbs and fuses.  I know they carry it at Lowes.  It costs about $20.  If you have Christmas lights in your house, I think this is a must have!

Esteemed Contributor

Ours did that 2 years ago...I let hubby buy a new string of lights for the middle and you couldn't tell the difference....THEN.......the top ones went out a week later.......

Last year I cut all the lights off the tree and now I put lights on the old fashioned way.....I never want anothe pre-lit tree....

Honored Contributor

If you have a Target near you, I think their trees are on sale this weekend. 

I'd get rid of it and get a new tree. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

Mine did that last year and I just bought lights, but I strung the whole tree  and you couldn't tell.  

I was kind of mad because the tree was only a couple years old. Not sure how long they are supposed to last but they never seem to last long.

Respected Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

Ours did that 2 years ago...I let hubby buy a new string of lights for the middle and you couldn't tell the difference....THEN.......the top ones went out a week later.......

Last year I cut all the lights off the tree and now I put lights on the old fashioned way.....I never want anothe pre-lit tree....

I cut all the lights off mine too. 

Honored Contributor

I'd rig it with lights and load it up with ornaments.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

I would buy lights.

Wait for the big sales after Christmas.

Esteemed Contributor

If you are seriously considering a fresh tree don't overlook the potential work and expense involved.

Fresh trees are not inexpensive.  A 6-7 foot Fraser can weight 50 pounds or more and the weight is unbalanced making it difficult to position.  More cutting will likely need to be done after getting the tree home from the lot or field.

You will need a secure tree stand and lights.

The tree will need frequent water checks.

No matter how well hydrated needles will fall and if you have carpet I don't care what you do to prevent it you will still be finding dried, fallen needles woven into the carpet next summer!

Eventually the tree will have to come down and disposed of (more needles dropping).

I'm sure there are considerations I've missed, it has been many years since I've had a cut fresh tree but the above quickly came to mind.  If you do go for a fresh tree I hope you and your DH either have help or are physically agile and fit.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

Yes, this has happened to us.  The same thing - middle of the three section 9 foot tree went out completely and there didn't seem to be any "fix" for the situation.  We bought two strands of identical style lights and added them to the tree as it sat half dark. Honestly, you couldn't tell the difference.  We were ready to replace the tree anyway, but it was already up and we didn't want to go through the rigors of taking it down again.  Decorated, you could not tell that there was any difference in the tree from other years.  

Buy a couple of strands of lights and wait till next year to get a whole new set-up.  There'll be lots of new "innovations" in trees next year and you'll probably be glad you waited.