Esteemed Contributor

Christmas tree opinion?

[ Edited ]

Tis the season! We rarely argue and now we are arguing over a tree tonight. lol. (yes ridiculous I know and now I feel like I am acting spoiled after the fact!).

DH put our tree together 3 hours ago. The middle of the tree is out. He took it apart 3X now and rechecked with a fine tooth comb that each plug inside the tree is was where it should be and they are so thats that.

Oh and the tree is ONLY 4 or 5 years old? Yeah they dont make things like they used to! Our Mt King Christmas tree when I was young lasted 25 years and was donated to charity in mint condition (of course it wasnt pre-lit)

Anyway DH wants to simply go buy lights and add it to the tree for this year. He said he doesnt want to spend the money now for a tree when we are trying to finish Christmas shopping

I want to replace it tomorrow! OR get a real tree (just for this year then buy an artificial for next year).

I just dont think it will look right rigged up with pre-lit and strung lights! Maybe I am OC and too fussy but the tree is what I like best of all of our decor..

Would you rig the tree with bought lights and use it this year? Have you ever rigged a tree like this and did it look ok? Or would you trash it and get another tree asap?.

PS Its 6.5 ft. And I was just saying (days ago) I want a 5 ft tree next year because it would be easier, and this happened. Guess one has to watch what they wish for huh?..lol.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

I would send it to the xmas tree graveyard and get a real tree...since you asked :-)

Valued Contributor

I'm like you.  I would want to just start over from scratch!

"It doesn't matter if the glass is half-full or half-empty as long as you still have the rest of the bottle."
Esteemed Contributor

I would go out and get a new tree -- not a real one, but a new pre-lit tree.  

Respected Contributor

I probably would not run out and buy a new one now.  You can get one at the after-Christmas sales for next year.  If you can hide the wires on a real tree, you should be able to hide the wires on this one, no?  Plus it's already up and I'm kinda lazy lol

Honored Contributor

It took reading the whole post to figure out if you were talking about an artificial or real tree!     Sounds to me like you really want a real tree.

Respected Contributor

If the only thing wrong is the lights being out, I'd put new lights in that section.  As long as you make sure you get the right lights (incandescent or led) it should be fine.  In fact, I would probably take the tree apart, put the replacement lights on the mid-section so they can remain in place when it's time to take the tree down.

I did that with a tree that I dearly loved and kept it another 3 years.  Nobody ever noticed anything different.

Honored Contributor

I think if it were me, I'd buy a new artificial tree at the after-Xmas sales - you should be able to get the tree of your dreams then for a great price. And I'd probably buy a real tree this year - OTOH, you'd have to be buying lights for one use, and it would be just as much or more of a PIT* to string lights on an entire real tree than just on part of your current tree. Depends on how much effort the two of you want to put into it ;-)

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I'd get lights for that section.  If I couldn't find a match, I'd buy lights for the entire tree, then use them on the new tree next year.

Honored Contributor

Last year the middle of ours went too. DH - the engineer - tried for hours and hours to fix it and finally gave up. We got a gorgeous tree at Home Depot for $119.