Respected Contributor

Re: Christmas gifts

[ Edited ]

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

I don'tknow a single person who is geting the elaborate gifts you mention, so I don't think it is the norm.  If you can afford it, why not?  Perhaps these people saved for a long time for these things. It wouldn't be something I would lose sleep over.

I don't think it is the norm etiher, but I do think it is wonderful for people who can go on trips and buy luxury gifts.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Excessive materialism? It's called working hard all your life and then enjoying it.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Well, clearly , excessive materialism is the QVC board norm. Why didn't I already know that? DUH to me.

So if you don't get underwear or socks for Christmas, it's excessive materialism?

LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

At our age I can't imagine DH wanting another tool.  He has sold most of his by now and keeps only what he needs.  Seem like wanting and needing something are blurred for some.  LOL

Today is different - the technology for gifts alone can be costly but so what?  It is the way things are now.

If a couple in their later life want a cruise - go for it.  Tomorrow is never promised for any person - so enjoy what you have, spend as you will, make those memories because we just never know when a loved one will not be here to enjoy life anymore.

What a sad commentary that folks are materialistic because they don't want underwear for a gift. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@brii wrote:

@151949 wrote:

Well, clearly , excessive materialism is the QVC board norm. Why didn't I already know that? DUH to me.

So if you don't get underwear or socks for Christmas, it's excessive materialism?

LOL

Maybe some sexy lingerie?  My DH would collapse laughing if I came out in a garter belt and bustier.Smiley LOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

That seems a petty and envious statement.

Perhaps a lot of posters here do not spend their lives questioning the spending habits of others.  

~Enough is enough~
QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is unkind.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

As my parents got older and no longer needed any "things", they did opt for a January trip somewhere warm.  

As far as I know, neither one of them posts here.  Taking special trips together, is something couples enjoy, no matter who they are or where they come from.  

Honored Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

@Zhills wrote:

A new robe, maybe, but I would not want socks and underweat for Christmas.  My children never got those either.  They are an everyday necessity... not a gift!

i can certainly remember times in my family's early years when we were grateful for getting the necessities under the tree.  times can be tough -  but the spirit of the holidays is what is important.  

As a child of parents who worked hard to pay the mortgage and keep me clothed and fed, I appreciated a gift of socks, shoes, underwear, or pajamas under the tree.  My grandparents were generous to provide basic clothing items before school started and at Christmas.  I looked forward to a new flannel nightgown and slippers to keep me warm as the new year approached.

These memories from my childhood remind me to treasure the basic necessities of life.  When I choose a family from the Giving Tree in my town, I always include some of the previously-mentioned clothing items (when sizes are provided) in addition to non-clothing items and a grocery store gift card..

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Many people don't know the sizes of the recipients. It would be strange buying these items for people imo, unless it's your s/o or child. Who know's what people like these days with clothing/etc. Many people are NOT going to tell someone their true size. Clothes are expensive these days, unless you go to like Walmart. (I like)

I don't know anyone personally, who buys lavish gifts these days for Christmas.

If you do buy expensive gists, don't go into debt just to show off.

I don't mind anyone gifting me with these type of $$$$$ gifts. Here's my addresss......