Honored Contributor

My husband and I don't exchange gifts on Christmas.  We don't exchange gifts for any occasion. 

We get pretty much what we want all year long.  Whether it's a trip, a Harley, or a new car.  I've never gotten him a diamond, though.

Maybe you're on a tighter budget because you snowbird to Florida for the winter.  That could be your Christmas gift.

I hope you have a Merry Christmas.

Respected Contributor

I bought sweaters (admittedly, cashmere ones) as a gift for a niece and a nephew and they blew my budget even though I got them on sale.

Everything is expensive these days, but I am pretty sure the recipients will really like them. That's what is important to me. 

Frequent Contributor

As a teen, I always got a robe, slippers, and a huge bottle of Jean Nate bubble bath.

I try now to give gifts that show love and comfort , for the simple things:

a cozy throw, large mug, and hot chocolate mix.

Works every time.

Honored Contributor

brii wrote:

Everyone is different.

Their choices should be respected. 

This expresses my thoughts very well.  Thank You!

I don't know - I really don't find myself thinking about what harmless stuff everybody else is doing, or comparing what I'm doing to what everybody else is doing.  It just doesn't seem that productive.    Life is difficult enough, IMO, that I pretty much have learned to stay in my own lane.    

I don't mean that as a lecture.  I just mean that as the way I feel on the subject at hand.  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I came from a medium income home and never had a lot of Christmas gifts and a couple of Christmases, I did not get anything.  I am not ungrateful, buy me a .25 candy bar but, please, not underwear.  Just my juvenile way of thinking!

Honored Contributor

Re: Christmas gifts

[ Edited ]

@Zhills wrote:

I came from a medium income home and never had a lot of Christmas gifts and a couple of Christmases, I did not get anything.  I am not ungrateful, buy me a .25 candy bar but, please, not underwear.  Just my juvenile way of thinking!

Or clothes!  I HATE getting clothes for gifts.  I am picky about what I wear (comfort AND fit) and almost never like what other people buy for me.  

Another gift is when people try to get you: "Something they wouldn't buy for themselves."  DO you wonder WHY they don't buy it?  LOL!!!!  If the answer is anything but "They simply can't afford it" don't buy it for them.  They don't want one.

Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@brii wrote:

Everyone is different.

Their choices should be respected. 

This expresses my thoughts very well.  Thank You!

I don't know - I really don't find myself thinking about what harmless stuff everybody else is doing, or comparing what I'm doing to what everybody else is doing.  It just doesn't seem that productive.    Life is difficult enough, IMO, that I pretty much have learned to stay in my own lane.    

I don't mean that as a lecture.  I just mean that as the way I feel on the subject at hand.  

I couldn't agree more; what difference does it make how people choose to spend their money on gifts?  A few years ago, hubby and I decided not to buy any gifts for one another and save all year to travel to Jackson, Wyoming.  We left right before Christmas and spent the whole week there, came back after New Year's Day.  This was our gift to one another and did it for many years.  Wouldn't have changed a thing. 
I don't understand the need to make a big deal how others spend their money for gifts. 
Still the same "HisElk"; trouble logging in and lost the "old me".
Honored Contributor

i enjoy the way WE choose to celebrate the season.......and i dont judge anyone on how THEY want to celebrate the season (or not celebrate the season for that matter). everyone has different needs, wants, desires, and plans. peace, love, and friendship to all!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

What has become of the days when you got a nice sweater and skirt or pants as a Christmas gift? And thought that it was a really nice and special present? It seems that - like so many other things in our lives - Christmas gifts have become very excessive. Diamond jewelry - cars - travel to Europe or a cruise seem to be more the norm now a days. I know at least 3 couples who are going on a Christmas cruise as their gift to themselves, and one couple going to Ireland. Geez - what ever happened to buying your DH something from Craftsman? Now they just buy a whole new car, or a Harley. Several years ago DH & I decided to set a $50 limit on any and all gifts for all occasions. It does make one have to think more. Once in a while one of us will exceed that but generally, we keep to that rule.I have been hinting to DH that I need a new robe this year. He is getting a set of sockets he has been drooling over at Sears, socks and underwear. I think I'll leave the world travel to other families.

Why do you spend so much time worrying about how others choose to spend their money?

Honored Contributor

I totally "get" married couples with grown children deciding what a "Christmas gift" is TO THEM.  Trip, car, boat, new kitchen - their money, their preference, their joint decision - their business. Go for it.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all