Honored Contributor

What has become of the days when you got a nice sweater and skirt or pants as a Christmas gift? And thought that it was a really nice and special present? It seems that - like so many other things in our lives - Christmas gifts have become very excessive. Diamond jewelry - cars - travel to Europe or a cruise seem to be more the norm now a days. I know at least 3 couples who are going on a Christmas cruise as their gift to themselves, and one couple going to Ireland. Geez - what ever happened to buying your DH something from Craftsman? Now they just buy a whole new car, or a Harley. Several years ago DH & I decided to set a $50 limit on any and all gifts for all occasions. It does make one have to think more. Once in a while one of us will exceed that but generally, we keep to that rule.I have been hinting to DH that I need a new robe this year. He is getting a set of sockets he has been drooling over at Sears, socks and underwear. I think I'll leave the world travel to other families.

Honored Contributor

Everyone is different.

Their choices should be respected. 

Esteemed Contributor

A new robe, maybe, but I would not want socks and underweat for Christmas.  My children never got those either.  They are an everyday necessity... not a gift!

Honored Contributor

We buy the clothes we need, as we need them, throughout the year.  I have very specific tastes, so would not want anyone choosing my clothes for me.(and definitely not underwear or socks)

I think it's great that couples forego the little gifts and take trips where they can enjoy their time together. We may do that next year.  This year, we got a lot of new furniture recently, so I'll call that our early Christmas gift.

Often, we do get something special for our home at this time of year.  

Respected Contributor

I don'tknow a single person who is geting the elaborate gifts you mention, so I don't think it is the norm.  If you can afford it, why not?  Perhaps these people saved for a long time for these things. It wouldn't be something I would lose sleep over.

~Enough is enough~
Respected Contributor

ilike the idea of a vacation somewhere warm. after the family is off on their own sitting around under the tree opening yet another sweater is overrated

Honored Contributor

As long as they're not asking you to help foot the bill, who cares what they do with their money.  

Honored Contributor

My husband has just about everything he might need from Craftsman. We enjoy cruising, and we went to Ireland five years ago. Some people have the financial means to do these things and only have one life! I say 'do them'!

Respected Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

A new robe, maybe, but I would not want socks and underweat for Christmas.  My children never got those either.  They are an everyday necessity... not a gift!

i can certainly remember times in my family's early years when we were grateful for getting the necessities under the tree.  times can be tough -  but the spirit of the holidays is what is important.  

Honored Contributor

Well, clearly , excessive materialism is the QVC board norm. Why didn't I already know that? DUH to me.