Respected Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

I agree they will be a thing of the past.  The rising cost of postage and cards plus having a nice handwritten style is not something people want to spend time doing.  Sadly, seems a nice little courtesy like the cards is a reflection of where things have gone. 

And they don't even teach penmanship in school these days.

DH husband (who passed recently) decided one year that it was so much easier and less expensive (thanks to free ld calls on his cell) to make a personal Christmas phone call to friends than to buy those expensive cards and take the time required to send them. He always enjoyed those phone calls so much and loved to tell me all about them. I have to admit that although I once loved to get Christmas cards, those two page testimonials to how wonderful someone's year had been got to be very boring.  I still send a few cards to older friends who seem to enjoy them, but I go with the phone call theory myself. I'd much rather hear their voices and exchange greetings in person than on paper.

Regular Contributor

I think this is a great idea, but for me, it is "a day late and a dollar short"!  My family and friend base has diminished so that I don't send cards anymore.  I do remember those family members whom I still have, but do not see the need to buy an entire box of cards.  It is easier to just go to the Hallmark store and buy a card since it is right down the street.  Too bad they didn't have this type of a TSV when they first started.  I am happy for all of those who still do send out cards and have the option of purchasing this value.  Also, who in the name of all that is holy can afford to send loads and loads of cards?!?  I know I wouldn't be able, but that is my problem.

Esteemed Contributor

For some reason, my mother always gives me postage stamps (the "forever" ones).  I told her I pay my bills electronically, but she gives me stamps anyway.  And I have holiday cards I bought over the years when they were on sale.  I guess I'm sending out cards again! 

Anybody who wants one, just leave your info here.  Smiley Wink

I do like getting cards though.  Smiley Happy

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Esteemed Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

@drizzellla wrote:

I feel like a dinosaur. I seem to get more and more cards every year. I go through at least 3 boxes. And I still miss a few people.

I am so glad people send the cards and I enjoy reading the notes they enclose.

I remember my parents sent out at least 200 cards. It was quite a production and consumed our dining room table for weeks. They had about 10 typewritten pages with all the addresses.

OMG, you just brought back childhood memories. Cards were a production and it took over our kitchen table for days. My mom had the same typewritten list of addresses, about 150. My dad was a printer so he did the cards, ALWAYS with a family picture.

-------------------------

It was the same in my parents' home.   We lived out of the USA.   My parents had many friends and family that they did not see for years. Am talking about the 50's thru the 60's - no email then!!! Their way of communicating was thru Christmas cards!  My mom would send out about 200 cards a year!! She would start working on them in October.  I remember her happy face when she would receive a card from her old college friends.  I used to send out about 50, but have now cut down to maybe 10!!

Honored Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

I agree they will be a thing of the past.  The rising cost of postage and cards plus having a nice handwritten style is not something people want to spend time doing.  Sadly, seems a nice little courtesy like the cards is a reflection of where things have gone. 

@Perkup  Probably because "penmanship" is not PC. Maybe if they change it to "penpersonship" they'll start teaching it again.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I still love to send and receive cards, but so many I used to send to (older relatives) have passed on and many in my generation have stopped doing it all together. 

We used to send out about 30 cards, but are now down to about 10. And I think I only got about two cards last year. Very sad. I used to look forward to the mail during December, and getting cards from our family and friends.

An email, e-card, or post on Facebook is just not good enough to me.

I hope there is some kind of revival of sending cards, like many older things, maybe it will become 'in style' again.

Those that like a personal call better, I think that is wonderful, though.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Perkup wrote:

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

@Perkup  Probably because "penmanship" is not PC. Maybe if they change it to "penpersonship" they'll start teaching it again.  Smiley Happy

Probably most people wouldn't have a clue what "penmanship" is, so PC would never come to mind.  It's referred to as cursive, why try to make something political that isn't?

Honored Contributor

I stopped doing cards years ago. It's a shame and I know many still sent them but too expensive now.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I still love to send and receive cards, but so many I used to send to (older relatives) have passed on and many in my generation have stopped doing it all together

We used to send out about 30 cards, but are now down to about 10. And I think I only got about two cards last year. Very sad. I used to look forward to the mail during December, and getting cards from our family and friends.

An email, e-card, or post on Facebook is just not good enough to me.

I hope there is some kind of revival of sending cards, like many older things, maybe it will become 'in style' again.

Those that like a personal call better, I think that is wonderful, though.

I agree @Mominohio .  I was thinking the same thing the other day.  All the elderly aunts, uncles and family friends of my parents are gone now.

Even people at church rarely send cards anymore, I suppose because of still seeing each other often.

Respected Contributor

@Just Bling I am so sad to hear that! Receiving Christmas  cards has always been one of my favorite parts of the holiday! I no longer send the 100 cards I used to, but I still mail at least 30 and hand deliver about 20 ( co-workers). I have no plans to stop sending them any time soon!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.