Trusted Contributor

My mother has rheumatoid arthritis and I've purchased her easy open pill bottles from Amazon.

They have quite the variety.

Screenshot_20230904-214756_kindlephoto-284357.png

Screenshot_20230904-214850_kindlephoto-395986.png

Screenshot_20230904-214902_kindlephoto-362179.png

Honored Contributor

another great reason for lock n lock and a label maker!!!!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

@judianne 

What are they thinking making arthritis medication impossible to open? It seems we should have the choice of bottles and their lids with prescription medication.

@occasionalrain,

You can ask your pharmacy to just put non childproof caps on and they will note that in the computer with your name.

It is really hard to open the childproof ones!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Re: Child Proof Lids

[ Edited ]

@on the bay 

Thank you. I don't take prescriptions so I didn't know there was that option and saw a problem where none existed. 

Valued Contributor

I always thought you should have to ask for child proof caps. Or your doctor could note on your script that you don't want one. I got one from CVS. Should have asked for all sizes. They are a pain. We reuse other bottles and tape the new paper to it. I don't even think my cat could open those. lol

Honored Contributor

I like the Amazon idea, too!

Many, many years ago, my mom would have to leave the lids barely attached.

Then, a few years later, the pharmacy offered non-child proof lids, which she opted when calling in her prescriptions.  (It could be that they always had that option, but we weren't aware of it for a couple of years or so.)

Thank goodness there weren't any pets in the house at that time.  

Again, thank goodness for Amazon.  They have just about everything........

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

If it's any consolation, I was practically brought to tears trying to open a small plastic tub of refrigerated pesto, of all idiotic things!  Won't buy that brand again.

I did ask our pharmacist to indicate non-child-proof bottles for our RX's years ago and boy was that a good decision.

Honored Contributor

The pharmacist told me that she would add to my "account"-non child proof caps and also

that next time in store could ask for a bunch of their non child proof caps!

This would be great because all their rx bottles have a different shape and size than others I've had in the past from other pharmacies.

Also this was the 3rd time I've requested this but this time it was with the pharmacist who answered the phone.

So if it doesn't work the first time, try again and with the pharmacist, not a pharmacy tech.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

Our pharmacy does not offer the option of non-childproof lids. Was told they have used only childproof lids for many years. Once I manage to get my bottles open I replace the lids very loosely. Difficult and inconvenient for us in our 80's. Don't want to use empty replacement bottles because we need the originals with script info printed on the labels. 

Honored Contributor

@CJC wrote:

Our pharmacy does not offer the option of non-childproof lids. Was told they have used only childproof lids for many years. Once I manage to get my bottles open I replace the lids very loosely. Difficult and inconvenient for us in our 80's. Don't want to use empty replacement bottles because we need the originals with script info printed on the labels. 

@CJC   Maybe a pill sorter could help? The ones with the days and times to sort the pills?

I've taken labels off and placed on other bottles but I understand it can be difficult. Ours peel off easily.

Take care.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh