Trusted Contributor

Re: Chief David Brown is amazing

Being from Dallas I knew about Brown's back story so it's nice to read the comments here.  He has certainly risen to the occasion during this terrible time, and I am proud of the way he is handling the very difficult job he has been given.

I hope he can get some rest as he continues to deal with this situation and the upcoming memorial service and funerals this week.  The man truly cares about Dallas and is dedicated to making it a better city.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jackaranda wrote:

The best part was when he was when he said " we are hiring, come join us to fix what you are protesting". Common sense. Hope to see more of him in the future.

Which is true activism. Sometimes we as the public and yes I have protested, forget we have a system where we can influence it by working for it. Be the change you want to see. The Chief himself seems like a man that has reformed it from within. Dallas has made some changes in recent years in their police force and has become a model for other large cities. From some of the articles I've read they have done extensive police training regarding not using police overreach. Which makes the situation even sadder. 

Esteemed Contributor

Which makes the situation even sadder. @segrl21, can you expound a little on this last paragraph?

Thx.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

First, let me say David Brown was not in my wheelhouse before the tragic events of last week.  But I am a quick study and will say I am truly impressed with the way he has handled this situation.  I have nothing but respect and admiration for him and would love to meet him someday.    

Now to hijack this thread, at 2:15 pm CDT is this diatribe (not, I repeat not by Chief Brown) really necessary when we are grieving the loss of five men who gave their lives to protect us?  Please can't we focus on everything they did right, and not what they (collectively as a society) did wrong?

Contributor

@magicmoodz wrote:

First, let me say David Brown was not in my wheelhouse before the tragic events of last week.  But I am a quick study and will say I am truly impressed with the way he has handled this situation.  I have nothing but respect and admiration for him and would love to meet him someday.    

Now to hijack this thread, at 2:15 pm CDT is this diatribe (not, I repeat not by Chief Brown) really necessary when we are grieving the loss of five men who gave their lives to protect us?  Please can't we focus on everything they did right, and not what they (collectively as a society) did wrong?

Oh boy...here we go again! What better time for all of us to hear some uncomfortable truths. Maybe it will make us all think and help prevent another tragedy such as this. May these brave men rest in eternal peace. Thank you all for your service and bravery. Your families are in my prayers.

Honored Contributor

@magicmoodz your post made me want to refresh my recollection of the definition of the word "diatribe:  a bitter and abusive speech or writing (Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary)." 

Since I haven't yet heard the presentation at the memorial service in Dallas, I cannot knowledgeably comment on any of the speakers' messages.

Esteemed Contributor

@Budsmom wrote:

@magicmoodz wrote:

Oh boy...here we go again! What better time for all of us to hear some uncomfortable truths. Maybe it will make us all think and help prevent another tragedy such as this. May these brave men rest in eternal peace. Thank you all for your service and bravery. Your families are in my prayers.

@Budsmom

I stand by my comments--any other time but the memorial service for five slain officers.

Honored Contributor

After hearing Chief Brown speak I have to say I think he is very impressive and I think Dallas is very fortunate to have him!!!! 

I also heard Dr. Brian Willams speak last nite, one of the trauma surgeons who was on duty when the officers came into the hospital.  I found him to be very impressive as well. 

God Bless everyone who are working towards greater understanding among all people who have been impacted by the loss of life we have seen occur surrounding recent events.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@magicmoodz your post made me want to refresh my recollection of the definition of the word "diatribe:  a bitter and abusive speech or writing (Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary)." 

Since I haven't yet heard the presentation at the memorial service in Dallas, I cannot knowledgeably comment on any of the speakers' messages.

@deepwaterdotter

I will admit that I have been very sensitive since the events that have occurred over the past week.  Senseless loss of life on so many levels.  I have family--both male and female--in law enforcement and I start internalizing.  I am sure if I recounted certain things that have taken place, my fellow posters would accuse me of telling tales, so it is best I sit on my hands.

I hope it is cooler in Wisconsin than here in Minneapolis!  

Respected Contributor

@Lila Belle wrote:

@violann wrote:

Strong communicator, creative problem solver, intuitive leader of his employees, A true asset to his employees and community, and an asset to the general public in these times of tragedy.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Dallas and the entire state of Texas is lucky to have him, Mayor Rawlings and Judge Jenkins. All have been outstanding.

Oh really??  Do you know this mayor tried to get rid of Chief Brown awhile back?  What does that tell ya?  These two you named are just what you have to put up in large cities, but there are enough people willing to challenge them, and that's how Chief Brown was rescued.  Thank goodness.