Esteemed Contributor

I always tune into that show every Sunday....unfortunately..I fell asleep and didn't wake up till almost 11am...I am so dang mad at myself....I had been watching their NEws....heard them show C.O. and there was going to be an interview...then I remembered nothing till I woke....

Trusted Contributor
@Perkup

How do you know Jane Pauley's real voice?

Anyway, I think those you listed would be all great but I like they chose Jane just as well. I am sure it was a coveted position and many others would have loved the spot.
Valued Contributor

@Havarti wrote:

I missed Charles Kuralt when he left and I will miss Charles Osgood, too.  It is even sadder because Charles Osgood did not want to leave – he was pushed out.  He did a good job of refusing to say he was “stepping down” or “retiring” or any other reference that made it look like it was his choice. 

Both men had a slow, deep, almost melodic voice that was soothing and relaxing to hear.  I have a hard time with Jane Pauley’s voice…she uses her “professional” voice on air rather than her natural voice and that bothers me.   It strikes me as phony, even affected, and as a result less credible in a way; I find a natural voice to be more sincere.  I am sure she is a delightful person in real life and totally trustworthy.  Sorry, it is just an idiosyncrasy of mine.  I would have liked Harry Smith or Mo Rocca…even Steve Hartman would have been good.  They all have calm yet distinctive voices that pull you into the stories they tell.

I didn’t see Steve Hartman do a tribute today, did I miss it?  If not, that is odd because he is a regular.  I also thought Bill Geist would have a small taped segment and I didn’t see him either.  Maybe I was walking the dog when they came on.

Bill Geist did have a small segment but I didn't see Steve Hartman.

Valued Contributor

I so wish they had chosen Lee Cowan to replace Charles Osgood. He subbed many times for CO and always did an excellent job.

Seems as if Jane Pauley just came in and took over.  Don't think she's nearly as personable as Lee Cowan.

Trusted Contributor

@NativeJax

Jane Pauley & David Letterman are buddies and they both grew up in Indiana.  She would appear on his show often.  When she was on his show he kidded her about using that “other voice” and she explained she was trained to talk that way because of her Midwestern accent.  She talked in her regular voice for a while on that show and I found it much nicer and more sincere sounding than her trained voice.  It is not meant to be a slam on her personally; there are others with that same “professional” voice that I find off-putting.  It is just a quirk of mine that I prefer the more real approach. 

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Trusted Contributor

@MathisFan

Thanks for letting me know you saw Bill Geist.  I saw his son, Willie Geist but must have missed his dad.  Glad to hear he did pay tribute to CO.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Esteemed Contributor

I have watched this program from the beginning, from Charles Kurault to Charles Osgood. I had hoped Anthony Mason would take over the host slot but I wish Jane Pauley the best. The program is interesting, intellectual, funny, and beautiful...one of the few intelligent programs on network television.

Honored Contributor

Didn't Jane get pushed out of the Today Show for a younger woman ?? I seem to remember she was shoved out to make room for Katie Couric. Does anyone else remember this or am I nuts ?? In any event I think Jane will do a great job.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

I am NOT a fan of Mo Rocca.  If he is there, I change channels.  Everytime I've seen him, he acted like he was trying to be cute or funny.  

Respected Contributor

Did you see his chateau in the south of France?  I think he'll be doing just fine - will miss him too, but like Jane Pauley also.  His home was just beautiful!