Honored Contributor

Charities that send "gifts" to elicit donations

I get so tired of receiving these little gifts in the mail - things like greeting cards or stationary or note pads or return address labels as a means of making me feel I have to send money to the charity because they sent me this gift. Today I got 10 return address labels and 3 note tablets and 5 greeting cards from an organization I have never even heard of. They are all embossed with my name and address on them so I assume they feel I will feel obligated to donate to them. I have organizations that I am happy to send my donations to and I hate being solicited by these others. Do you donate to someone just because they send you something?

On the other hand are the political candidates and parties - OMG - make one donation and you will be hounded for life. They are relentless!

Honored Contributor

Re: Charities that send "gifts" to elicit donations

[ Edited ]

I'd have to guess that this type of soliciting generates great revenue or they wouldn't continue to do it.

I don't like it either, and usually end up throwing away the 'gifts' as I am overloaded with notepads an address labels.

I never feel obligated to give because of the gifts, but a couple of the charities I do feel obligated to give to regularly because I have been blessed in those areas and I want to give back.

Honored Contributor

You are under no legal obligation to do anything with these gifts, because they weren't solicited.  Use them, donate, throw them out.  It is remarkably cheap to print up a bunch of labels and cards.  And certainly don't feel guilty. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Your contact info will eventually fall off their radar if you don't donate-   I would continue to contribute only to the causes that mean something to you!

Respected Contributor

I used to wonder why they don't just keep/save the money for these gifts, but they are probably donated.  It doesn't make me feel obligated to give, and I use the most of the stuff I receive.  

Honored Contributor

If they are going to send it, I am going to use it. I am under no obligation to send them $.

Honored Contributor

I don't feel the pressure to donate. I donate to probably the same charities year after year and it is usually at the end of the year. What bugs me is the request for donations multiple times a year. 

Just because I donate to them does not mean I will donate every time I get a request from them. I don't use the stationary but will keep only a few address lables because I don't mail that much. 

I guess many donate every time they receive something so they continue doing so.

Trusted Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I get so tired of receiving these little gifts in the mail - things like greeting cards or stationary or note pads or return address labels as a means of making me feel I have to send money to the charity because they sent me this gift. Today I got 10 return address labels and 3 note tablets and 5 greeting cards from an organization I have never even heard of. They are all embossed with my name and address on them so I assume they feel I will feel obligated to donate to them. I have organizations that I am happy to send my donations to and I hate being solicited by these others. Do you donate to someone just because they send you something?

On the other hand are the political candidates and parties - OMG - make one donation and you will be hounded for life. They are relentless!

With all the junk mail you receive in the mail everyday, you choose to criticize mail from  organizations that are working to help those in need?  

Honored Contributor

No. They need to stop spending donations of this stupid stuff. I don't think it will make anyone donate because of it. 

Donate to causes where they actually get all the money & not line someone's pocket or pay high salaries. 

Places like St. Jude's Children Hospital & Salvation Army.

Esteemed Contributor

I use to feel obligated to send money which only made them send more gifts...and i am sure they gave my name to other charities as i was then sent more gifts from lots of places....it got so out of hand and costing me so much money i had to stop...

Now when i get gifts...i either keep them or throw them out...but i no longer send money....

I was finally taken off those lists...don't know how..probably because i stopped sending money...now i only get one...i guess they just want to keep in touch...lol...hoping i will finally send them something...but i don't......