Respected Contributor

Re: Changing tastes as we age

I think we all grow and change.  I used to love colors that I now won't wear like red.  I think my size changing has affected a lot about what I choose to wear.  The biggest change was my taste buds after menopause.  I used to love vegetables and now I just tolerate them. I was a much healthier eater before menopause. Now when my metabolism has slowed I don't want healthy food.

Honored Contributor

I used to love antiques and collected many over the years, I'm fast approaching my late sixties and I'm not interested in my collection any more. I view it as clutter now and am slowly getting people to take the stuff off my hands. I still like to look youthfful so I'm still into the fashion, but age appropriate and since my hair has not changed much in color and my skin is good I wear just about any color that suits me.

Respected Contributor

I agree.  I threw out my wedding dress today and my mothers.

Honored Contributor

@CaryH wrote:

I was just wondering if anyone else has had a change in the colors or foods or pretty much anything else that you like as you have aged.

I am 43 and I have NEVER in my life liked anything pink. But now, with my complete salt & pepper hair I have found that pink really brings out the beauty of the nice silver in it. I've been buying a few more things in pink and my son has even noticed.

So far that's about the only change I've really noticed but I'm sure more will be coming along in time.

How about you?

@CaryH

At double 7's years of age, my answer is he!! No.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

I used to wear red, now it does not look good on me.

I wear a bit more makeup now since my face seems to look washed out without it.

I'm not a picky eater at all, but find I like MORE spice now than before.

Fascinating how we change Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

This post made me laugh out loud . . . decades ago I never dreamed I would wear anything with an elastic waist or a shoe with a heel under 3 1/2" . . . I miss those days . . . thanks for the smile!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I've always preferred neutral colors in my wardrobe.  Since the clothes I like tend to be on the more expensive side, this works out for my budget.  I buy pieces that are more versatile and less memorable.

Respected Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

This post made me laugh out loud . . . decades ago I never dreamed I would wear anything with an elastic waist or a shoe with a heel under 3 1/2" . . . I miss those days . . . thanks for the smile!  Smiley Happy

@momtochloe  I'm beginning to suspect you're the twin sister I didn't know I had.

big heart.png

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Noel7 wrote:

@CaryH wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@CaryH wrote:

I was just wondering if anyone else has had a change in the colors or foods or pretty much anything else that you like as you have aged.

I am 43 and I have NEVER in my life liked anything pink. But now, with my complete salt & pepper hair I have found that pink really brings out the beauty of the nice silver in it. I've been buying a few more things in pink and my son has even noticed.

So far that's about the only change I've really noticed but I'm sure more will be coming along in time.

How about you?

Hi @CaryH  What a nice subject Smiley Happy

I never liked green and now I do.  I went through the days when some hospitals were painted a sickly green on their walls, and then there were the avocado color kitchen appliances. 

All of a sudden, I like green!  I bought a green plaid knit shirt from QVC for fall, a mint green leather purse for spring, and recently an olive green denim jacket.  Oh, and a forest green nail polish for later in the season, and the new OPI Washington olive green polish for fall.

I love green. Always have, it's my favorite color but boy do I NOT look good in it! Smiley LOL

@CaryH

They say the trick is to not put a color that doesn't look good on you next to your face.  Use it for an accessory, like a handbag or maybe a ring or bracelet.

True, this is what I was told as well. But it also depends on the *shade* of a color. People should know/learn whether their complexion is cool or warm-toned, then while shopping and looking at colors, find a tone/shade in that color you *can* wear.

I look horrible in any red that has any sort of yellow or orange undertone but I can wear blue-reds just fine. I can't wear strong yellows, but a pale butter yellow is fine.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

As far as "things" we collect, decorating tastes, etc., I think it's natural for tastes to change and I'm not sure that has to do all that much with age per se.

My taste buds have certainly changed, and I enjoy foods and sauces I used to dislike. Also as we age we start (in our 40s) to lose our taste buds and may need more seasonings to compensate. For most of my life I never used salt or pepper at all. Now, I need a bit of salt on some things like potatoes and veggies.

I have known for a while that my taste in scents (perfume) has changed dramatically and that scents I once loved and wore often now don't do a thing for me. Our body chemistry can change. As a side note to the body chemistry thing - fleas and mosquitoes used to see me as a banquet hall and I had severe reactions to bites. Now, I rarely get bitten and the reactions are generally inconsequential. Huge difference that hormones, or not having them, can make.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all