Trusted Contributor

Kudos to you, @NativeJax

48 is the new 30, you know.

My sincere best wishes to you as you embark on this part of the adventure of this thing called life.

dee

Honored Contributor

To all who are doing this, or thinking about doing this, I say - More power to ya!   Seriously.   To go ahead, down the road a bit, and see a new dream, or finally get to see a dream from your past is something to be admired.

Unfortunately, right about the time I was hitting 50, my health took a turn and that was when I left the work force permanently.  I do feel fortunate that I was able to do that.  But there were some dreams I never saw, so I want to hope that others out there get to go after theirs!  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

I was going to say the same thing @chickenbutt. It is never too late while you have good health.

Once your health takes a turn, game is over. It is really good advise about getting licenses, vs having to get a degree in something. I would fear college loan debt at 50 or over.

It is great there are so many jobs in Jacksonville! I live in IT country, almost every job in this area is in any kind of engineering, or the other big one is the medical world. 

Honored Contributor

I got my license to sell health, disability & life insurance at 59 and have sold HI seasonally for 3 years now, along with my full time job.

Go for it!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Career Change at 50

[ Edited ]

@daisyk wrote:

@dosey- Just wondering if you can share any tips for re-entering the workforce. I've been a SAHM for almost as long as you and I've applied for a few things and I think they see the lapse in work experience and that's the end. I did customer service and other clerical work for 20 years before I became stayed home with my daughter. I'm now looking for any kind of entry level position, even retail which I was never crazy about. I'm inspired by your story!

@daisyk  Hi!  I'm sorry I am just now responding.  I haven't been on the boards in a while.

I am going to be completely honest with you.  FInding a job after being a SAHM for many years was tough.  There were times I wondered if I was ever going to find work.

My advice is to approach finding a job from every direction you can.  Apply for positions that are advertised on-line.  Sign on with agencies.  Tell all of your friends and family that you want to start working, again.  But here is how I finally found my job.  I attended an outdoor cocktail party that a company was having to celebrate their growth.  It was advertised as a job fair but really wasn't.  An employee liked me and my courage to put myself out there and ask for a job that she nearly hired me on the spot.  She needed someone to help her but had not yet advertised for the position.  She had to post an opening so I could apply through the normal channel.  This just confirmed to me that some jobs are already filled before the posting hits the website.

If there is an industry or a few companies that you would like to work for, get your resume, put on your interview outfit, put on a smile, and go to these places.  Sell yourself!  You can do it!!!  Be willing to work part-time.  It's the experience that you need.  You may or may not like the first company that you work for, but you can move on once you have some experience.  Don't let rejection get you down.  I received a lot of rejection.  You will find a job.  Good luck!  Let me know how it goes.

Paws and enjoy life.
Respected Contributor

Re: Career Change at 50

[ Edited ]

my ds has done it twice! He retired as cop after 30 years but we still had a youngish son at home. He took a good job with a charitable service org. and was miserable . He tried to start his own business doing mortgage closing shift but the crash hit so he found another community service job in mental health. Pay su**s and he works long hours due to understaffing but he's not as miserable. Then, I was injured at work and had to retire early so poor dh has to work 7 more years than planned! His problem wasn't starting over he just was a victim of the economy. I say if you have the education and credentials needed for new profession, then go for it!👍

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Trusted Contributor

@dosey wrote:

@daisyk wrote:

@dosey- Just wondering if you can share any tips for re-entering the workforce. I've been a SAHM for almost as long as you and I've applied for a few things and I think they see the lapse in work experience and that's the end. I did customer service and other clerical work for 20 years before I became stayed home with my daughter. I'm now looking for any kind of entry level position, even retail which I was never crazy about. I'm inspired by your story!

@daisyk  Hi!  I'm sorry I am just now responding.  I haven't been on the boards in a while.

I am going to be completely honest with you.  FInding a job after being a SAHM for many years was tough.  There were times I wondered if I was ever going to find work.

My advice is to approach finding a job from every direction you can.  Apply for positions that are advertised on-line.  Sign on with agencies.  Tell all of your friends and family that you want to start working, again.  But here is how I finally found my job.  I attended an outdoor cocktail party that a company was having to celebrate their growth.  It was advertised as a job fair but really wasn't.  An employee liked me and my courage to put myself out there and ask for a job that she nearly hired me on the spot.  She needed someone to help her but had not yet advertised for the position.  She had to post an opening so I could apply through the normal channel.  This just confirmed to me that some jobs are already filled before the posting hits the website.

If there is an industry or a few companies that you would like to work for, get your resume, put on your interview outfit, put on a smile, and go to these places.  Sell yourself!  You can do it!!!  Be willing to work part-time.  It's the experience that you need.  You may or may not like the first company that you work for, but you can move on once you have some experience.  Don't let rejection get you down.  I received a lot of rejection.  You will find a job.  Good luck!  Let me know how it goes.

@dosey...Thanks so much for the reply and advice! I am just looking for part time to start out. Like you say, I'm trying not to mind the rejections and know I will get something. I'll let you know!

Frequent Contributor

Congratulations!!!!!!  I think change is exciting and rejuvenating.

I'm in the middle of a similar process now.  A few years ago, I lost my job of nearly 20 years due to a site closure.  After having some challenges finding a full-time job, I decided to go back to school to finish my degree (I'm graduating in September!!!).

Currently, I am deciding what I want to do with my degree in terms of work (I'm also considering post-grad studies). 

Best of luck in your new career!!!!