Honored Contributor

Humans + cars = accidents, period.   It's always been that way, and will continue to be that way.   Regardless of the many risk factors that contribute to accidents, you have to start with a driver using common sense and good judgment when they sit behind the wheel.   

My mother lost 2 friends in car accidents in the early 1950's; both in their early 20's.   The male was driving way too fast, and hit a tree.   Female friend was the front seat passenger; head went thru the windshield.   Mom went to both funerals, and the way she talked of their very visible fatal injuries has always stuck with me.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624@PurpleBunny, same thing here in Canada.  LM

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

It amazes me that, with the problems society has with alcohol, that they'd make marijuana legal.  That's just adding another problem with people becoming addicted and using things that impair their judgment.  We're close to Colorado which I love, but now have no desire to visit since it's legal there. 

Well, I live in WA state, where marijuana is also legal.

I feel no more endangered than I ever have.

I'm always curious about these types of statements.

Alcohol is MUCH more prevalent, and we've had drunk driving killings since time immemorial, yet I've never heard anyone advocate for making alcohol illegal.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

Humans + cars = accidents, period.   It's always been that way, and will continue to be that way.   Regardless of the many risk factors that contribute to accidents, you have to start with a driver using common sense and good judgment when they sit behind the wheel.   

My mother lost 2 friends in car accidents in the early 1950's; both in their early 20's.   The male was driving way too fast, and hit a tree.   Female friend was the front seat passenger; head went thru the windshield.   Mom went to both funerals, and the way she talked of their very visible fatal injuries has always stuck with me.  

WELL SAID!

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

And one more thing:

I guarantee you that people were driving while smoking pot long before it was ever made legal.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

I would rather be on the road with a pot smoker than a 16 year old, worse, a 16 year old with friends in the car. A person can't vote, can't  marry at 16 but is permitted out on the road in control of a machine with the potential to kill.

My vote is to legalize pot and raise the legal age to drive to 18.

Or a car full of 16 year olds on their phones, taking selfies.

Honored Contributor

@Marienkaefer2 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

It amazes me that, with the problems society has with alcohol, that they'd make marijuana legal.  That's just adding another problem with people becoming addicted and using things that impair their judgment.  We're close to Colorado which I love, but now have no desire to visit since it's legal there. 

Well, I live in WA state, where marijuana is also legal.

I feel no more endangered than I ever have.

I'm always curious about these types of statements.

Alcohol is MUCH more prevalent, and we've had drunk driving killings since time immemorial, yet I've never heard anyone advocate for making alcohol illegal.

Last time alcohol was illegal it didn't work out too well.

Honored Contributor

Colorado has legalized marjuana and I believe where I live in Illinois it is legal.  The problem is that some doctors are giving people prescriptions that are not sick.  Alcohol is just as bad as drugs and the combination is fatal.  You always have to be alert when driving.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength