Trusted Contributor

Re: Can you feel any motion/speed while on a cruise ship?

I've been on five cruises and will be going on my sixth in June. I agree with others who said it depends on the size of the ship. I've NEVER gotten sea sick. And I'm pretty squeamish. I'd highly recommend a cruise. As others have said, be sure you have sea sickness meds. I've seen people on the ship with this little dot behind their ear...I think it's some kind of sea sickness med.

Valued Contributor

I've been on 15+ cruises and agree with Deb.
Respected Contributor

On 1/30/2014 Deb1010again said:

I've been on five cruises and will be going on my sixth in June. I agree with others who said it depends on the size of the ship. I've NEVER gotten sea sick. And I'm pretty squeamish. I'd highly recommend a cruise. As others have said, be sure you have sea sickness meds. I've seen people on the ship with this little dot behind their ear...I think it's some kind of sea sickness med.

I used that little dot. I think it was called "Transderm Scop" It helped on the way out but on the return trip I still got a little seasick. Like "car sickness". Not really bad just enough to be unpleasant. I wish I had gone to see the ships medical dept. I think they could have helped me.

Respected Contributor

I am the type that has major motion sickness. In a car going on a snake pattern road will make me sick with motion sickness. Going in circles makes me get motion sickness.

So knowing this about myself my doctor gives me a prescription for the "Motion Patches" that is worn behind the ear. Looks like a dot behind the ear. My doctor makes sure I have enough to put a fresh Dot on every 3 days....while I am on the cruise.

Last time we was gone for 16 days and nights. We were on the high seas far away from the shore; headed to all the Hawaii islands. We had a storm two evenings far out at sea, and I felt nothing...no motion sickness.

Another time headed to Alaska and Canada again I wore the Dot behind the ear. We had a major storm and again I felt no motion sickness.

I never feel like I am on drugs...or anything...it feels like I took a vitamin with no after effects. I will always have that Dot behind my ear on every cruise. I LOVE THOSE DOTS. (smile)

Get the meds in the Dot for motion sickness, and go enjoy the trip. Why take a chance and later find out you get motion sickness. If you get sick it makes the trip bad, and you want to enjoy the whole trip. Go and have fun and you will want to go on another cruise.

Honored Contributor

On 1/30/2014 twopeas said:

The ships are equipped with stabilizers to keep the ship the listing most of the time. My dh and I have gone on about five cruises. The only one that made me sick was when we were hit by a storm in the outside passage going to Alaska. It felt like we were in a small rowboat. My dh didn't get sick at all, but I am made ill quite easily ever since I was a child and would get car sick. All in all, I highly recommend cruising. Start some sea sick medication a few days before you sail. You will most likely love it.

I had the same experience...left Seattle and headed to the open sea w/o the stabilizers to make fast time to Juneau. Both my sister and I got sick and never ate that night. I was mad! Had never needed Bonine before so didn't have any with us.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

That is why I say to get the Dot with meds and you never have to worry the whole trip.

Super Contributor

The patch behind the ear gave my son headaches. He said he would rather have sea sickness!

I have never cruised, but I have been in very rough water fishing. No problem for me. Planes give me claustrophobia, though. Once they close that door, I could easily lose my marbles.

Respected Contributor

Just got off a ship two weeks ago. Regarding speed, you probably won't notice that but motion is another thing. There is no rhyme or reason as to why some have no problems while others are turning green.

Our last cruise was 11 days, 3 of which were rough. If you are prepared you probably won't have a problem. The "free medicine" they give is 25mg meclizine (sp???) and it is the generic for Bonine which is sold on store shelves. You can buy the generic meclizine at Walmart but it's not on the shelves. You have to go to the pharmacy window, tell them you are cruising and need some meclizine and they hand it to you. You'll get a tiny bottle of 100 pills for about $5.50; whereas the brand names on the shelf cost that for about 20 pills.

When the ship began rocking, each room received a tip sheet - eating a green apple or candied ginger oftentimes helps, don't look down at the water - look straight ahead at the horizon and they said it's best to keep your room cooler because the air circulates better. If there's any chance you think you may get sick, begin taking a pill one or two days before boarding. Be warned - once you get seasick, you will feel lousy (lightheaded and dizzy) for about 2 or 3 hours before a motion sickness pill kicks in. I can honestly say that taking the pills has always cleared up any motion sickness for myself and others I've traveled with and they've always worked. A friend told me when she used the patch that it caused her mouth to stay continually dry and she was always thirsty. HTH

Respected Contributor

The dot patch did not effect me with any side effects. It is a blessing to me and thousands of others that wear the dot patch all the time.

I never heard anyone on the different ships; that wear the Dot patch all the time say they experienced any side effects. Everyone was pleased and happy to wear the dot patch.

Respected Contributor

I do not want to take any chance of getting sick on a cruise...so I want the prescription from the doctor and not something on the counter. I will gladly pay a higher price when it comes to this item.