Trusted Contributor

Can you feel any motion/speed while on a cruise ship?

I have a chance to go on my very first cruise. I am still considering it, but I suffer from anxiety. I don't travel well while others are driving, and most of the time I just wish the driver would slow down.

I have often thought I would like to go on a cruise, as I will not fly on an airplane. Can someone please tell me what it feels like on a cruise? Do you feel the speed of the ship? Can you sense a rocking type of motion? Thanks.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Re: Can you feel any motion/speed while on a cruise ship?

Pretty much no. Unless you're out on the balcony looking out. BUT I do feel after getting back home to my own bed like I'm on the ship with a gentle rocking/wave motion. So it must be very slight. You might feel it when laying in bed depending on what level you are on and how the sea is that day.

Go. For. It.

Have. Fun.

Honored Contributor

A lot depends on the weather and the size of the ship.

I have been on several cruises and yes at times you can feel the roll of the seas.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Yesssssssssssssssssss!!! I was so sick on our cruise I was just miserable. The last night aa singer in the on board band told me about Meclizine and that you could get it free on board. Wow what a life saver. I didn't know about it until the last 24 hrs. but thank goodness it worked and I had 24 hrs. free of nausea. I believe you can get it now in the pharmacy under the name Bonine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Super Contributor

You don't feel the speed but you can feel it rocking especially if the seas are rough. If you're prone to motion sickness then you might not enjoy cruising.

Regular Contributor

We experienced a 2 week cruise to Alaska several years ago. I never felt any motion except for a few early morning docking times at a port while still in bed. Nothing bad or really noticeable, though. We had a blast the entire time. That is the only cruise that I have been on. Maybe others have been on more cruises and have had a different experience.
Honored Contributor

Yes. I woke up feeling like I was in a washing machine. Many people on the boat were sick on the cruise I went on. Meds helped, but that nauseated feeling never left me. Hubby too.

Super Contributor

Yes, at times you may feel some motion. It depends on the weather and the size of your ship. Selecting a cabin that is mid-ship and on a lower level will help alleviate some of that feeling, but may not totally do away with it.

Respected Contributor

I felt nothing. However, if you have severe motion sickness you might get sick. One time I got motion sickness just from being in a revolving restaurant at the top of a building.

Personally I did fine on the first leg of the voyage. But on the return part, I got seasick although I wasn't aware of any movement.

If you don't have motion sickness, I don't think you will have ANY problem

Respected Contributor

PS: I was on the New Amsterdam ship which is part of the Holland America line. It was a cruise to ports in Mexico, Grand Cayman Island and Jamaica.