Honored Contributor

Re: Can someone explain this story to me?

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

I agree that the expectation that people will switch seats can be a bit much.

I was on a flight where the man did not want to give up his aisle seat and the mother said - well then you will have to be responsible for the kids - in the middle and window - they were probably 2 and 3. 

Unbelievable.

Then the mom should give the pasenger the difference in cost for the seat. The mom knew the seating arrangement in  advance.

What I've witnessed, is that they are usually prepared with the - we couldn't get our seats assigned in advance and "they broke up our family"  or something like that.

And, maybe that's even true.  I do think it is going to be harder as the airlines now want to charge for better seats and since more and more flights are full to get people to willingly give up their good seats for parents - let alone volunteer to hold someone's baby for the entire flight because she didn't buy the baby a seat - the woman who did that must be a saint.

Not a saint, she's an enabler. She aided this rule breaker so that she and others like her will continue cheating in the future. Other travelers will be persuaded, encouraged, shamed into giving up their seats, the seats for which they paid and are entitled to use use.

Trusted Contributor

@BabyYoda wrote:

@Mrsq2022 wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

I was reading this story and I am not understanding what happen.

The woman was traveling with twins, I assume she purchased 3 seats 1 for her and 1 for each of the babies.  So why would the airline take her car seat off the plane and expect her to hold both babies?  Can they do that!?!?!?! She paid for the seats they are for her use.

I have NEVER heard of such a thing.  How terrible.

I have also never traveled with babies.

Can someone make sense of this?

Thank you Smiley Happy

https://www.popsugar.com/moms/Stranger-Helps-Mom-Flying-Alone-Twins-43300969

They wouldn't take away car seats if she had paid for the babies seats.  When you travel with a baby under two you have two choices.  Option 1 is you can pay full price for a separate seat for the baby and put a car seat in that seat so the baby can be buckled in.  Option 2 is you don't pay for the infant, but the infant has to sit in your lap as a "lap infant".  A lap infant cannot have a car seat, but you can check the car seat in with checked luggage for free.  A lap infant is not entitled to his own carry-on allotment or any other check on luggage (besides the car seat).  Only one lap infant is allowed per paired adult passenger.  You can also gate-check your stroller for free, so there are certainly some nice accommodations made for parents.

This woman did not pay for three seats for herself and her twins because if she had, she would have been entitled to three seats and have been entitled to buckle her car seats into of them.  I'm not sure what she was trying to do with two babies on the flight without purchasing seats for them, but it seems she had hoped that she would get lucky and find two empty seats for her babies.  All of this info is made clear on every airline website.

A seat is a seat, and the airlines charge you for a seat no matter who is sitting in it.  You can't just set a car seat at your feet like a small dog in a carry-on.

So true @Mrsq2022. I used to travel every week when I worked and this happens more than the public know. I have seen mothers do this a lot with a baby under 2 years old and not want the baby to sit on their lap so they ask for an empty seat next to them without paying for that seat. Well that doesn't work on a full flight. I once had to move to another seat because the mother with her infant in the seat next to mine wanted me to hold her baby while she ate her food. The baby cried the whole flight. I couldn't take it anymore and they moved me and another woman took my place. I already switched seats with the mother and gave up my window seat for her. 

@BabyYoda. One time I boarded and saw a baby (in a car seat) seated in my seat.  I showed the mother my boarding pass with seat assignment and she showed me her baby's boarding pass (which just read "infant" with no seat assignemnet).

When the flight attendant came to assist, she shuffled me off to a different seat because they wanted to finish boarding passengers and not delay the takeoff, but it was irritating.  The flight attendant said something to the effect of ".. I could have asked her to hold the baby, but then you would be stuck next to them the entire flight..." which was true!

Respected Contributor

@Mrsq2022 wrote:

@BabyYoda wrote:

@Mrsq2022 wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

The woman was traveling with twins, I assume she purchased 3 seats 1 for her and 1 for each of the babies.  So why would the airline take her car seat off the plane and expect her to hold both babies?  Can they do that!?!?!?! She paid for the seats they are for her use.

Thank you Smiley Happy

They wouldn't take away car seats if she had paid for the babies seats.  When you travel with a baby under two you have two choices.  Option 1 is you can pay full price for a separate seat for the baby and put a car seat in that seat so the baby can be buckled in.  Option 2 is you don't pay for the infant, but the infant has to sit in your lap as a "lap infant".  A lap infant cannot have a car seat, but you can check the car seat in with checked luggage for free.  A lap infant is not entitled to his own carry-on allotment or any other check on luggage (besides the car seat).  Only one lap infant is allowed per paired adult passenger.  You can also gate-check your stroller for free, so there are certainly some nice accommodations made for parents.

This woman did not pay for three seats for herself and her twins because if she had, she would have been entitled to three seats and have been entitled to buckle her car seats into of them.  I'm not sure what she was trying to do with two babies on the flight without purchasing seats for them, but it seems she had hoped that she would get lucky and find two empty seats for her babies.  All of this info is made clear on every airline website.

A seat is a seat, and the airlines charge you for a seat no matter who is sitting in it.  You can't just set a car seat at your feet like a small dog in a carry-on.

So true @Mrsq2022. I used to travel every week when I worked and this happens more than the public know. I have seen mothers do this a lot with a baby under 2 years old and not want the baby to sit on their lap so they ask for an empty seat next to them without paying for that seat. Well that doesn't work on a full flight. I once had to move to another seat because the mother with her infant in the seat next to mine wanted me to hold her baby while she ate her food. The baby cried the whole flight. I couldn't take it anymore and they moved me and another woman took my place. I already switched seats with the mother and gave up my window seat for her. 

@BabyYoda. One time I boarded and saw a baby (in a car seat) seated in my seat.  I showed the mother my boarding pass with seat assignment and she showed me her baby's boarding pass (which just read "infant" with no seat assignemnet).

When the flight attendant came to assist, she shuffled me off to a different seat because they wanted to finish boarding passengers and not delay the takeoff, but it was irritating.  The flight attendant said something to the effect of ".. I could have asked her to hold the baby, but then you would be stuck next to them the entire flight..." which was true!

@Mrsq2022 What would they do if your flight was full? The attendants accommodate mothers with babies first then families that want to sit together and ask people to move to another seat. At least you did not have to sit next to them and was able to be seated elsewhere. I was once asked to move from the front of the plane in which I paid for extra room and was told to move to the last seat in the back of the plane near the bathroom because a woman needed to sit in the front for nausea. I told them no I paid for this seat and want to be reimbursed if I have to move. I was flying for business and had a client to see right as we landed. The flight attendant gave me looks the entire flight and "forgot" to take my drink order. Yeah I won't play these games anymore when I fly and saw the flight attendant about 10 more times that year on the same schedule and she realized I spent a lot with their airline as a frequent flier and she became nicer to me over time. 

Respected Contributor

@BabyYoda wrote:

@Mrsq2022 wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

Thank you Smiley Happy

@BabyYoda

I soooo agree. People try to take advantage of the situation. I travelled fir work all the time, too, and many trips were made miserable by babies and mom's with babies. I often was working on a flight. Being asked to hold a baby was too much. Once, I was asked to stand in the aisle so the mom could use my seat to change her poopy baby. 

Trusted Contributor

@BabyYoda My guess was that I could have insisted she hold her baby and he flight attendant probably would,have backed down.  Or offered me to board the next flight and given me some sort of voucher to accommodate.  I was more bothered with the mother for attempting to argue with me when I presented my boarding pass with my seat clearly identified.  Plus I feel for flight attendants and try to make their lives easier I feel I can, but I'll tell you this - it was almost 20 years ago and I still remember it this mother and her strange entitlement.

So when I read this story about the woman and her twins I don't find it to be particularly heartwarming.  Google any airline and "traveling with children" and it's all spelled out.  When I traveled with small children it was pre-internet and I was able to research it, so in this day and age, there really aren't any excuses for being uninformed.

Honored Contributor

There needs to be an end to the lap option; it's not safe for the child being held and promotes cheating. It places flight attendants in a difficult positon and deprives paying passengers of a seat that is rightly theirs. Each passenger, no matter their age, should be required to have their own assigned seat.

Trusted Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

There needs to be an end to the lap option; it's not safe for the child being held and promotes cheating. It places flight attendants in a difficult positon and deprives paying passengers of a seat that is rightly theirs. Each passenger, no matter their age, should be required to have their own assigned seat.

I actually don't agree with this, though I partially do.  

When I traveled with infants, the best way to carry them was in some kind of baby holder (ergo or whatever they are called). I sat on my seat, buckled in with my baby attached to me and sleeping.  For some trips I had my older daughter in a (paid) seat next to Mel with my baby on me.

I could have paid for a car seat but it would have been expensive and frankly, if we had to disembark the plane in an emergency or if there was heavy turbulence, I felt my baby was safer being attached to me.  Plus I wasn't clunking down the aisle with a car seat banging into everyone.  But I understand your point.  

Honored Contributor

@Mrsq2022 wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

I actually don't agree with this, though I partially do.  

When I traveled with infants, the best way to carry them was in some kind of baby holder (ergo or whatever they are called). I sat on my seat, buckled in with my baby attached to me and sleeping.  For some trips I had my older daughter in a (paid) seat next to Mel with my baby on me.

I could have paid for a car seat but it would have been expensive and frankly, if we had to disembark the plane in an emergency or if there was heavy turbulence, I felt my baby was safer being attached to me.  Plus I wasn't clunking down the aisle with a car seat banging into everyone.  But I understand your point.  

All well and good for an infant, although it's not somethng I would do, but not for a two year old.

Honored Contributor

Unfortunately, an newborn/infant/toddler simply being held or even in a baby sling thing---can become a projectile (object) in the event of a mishap. 

It could most certainly be harmful/deadly for the infant and/or others.

You cannot drive a car and safely have your baby cuddled/strapped to you.  It is illegal.

It should also be made illegal on planes to travel this way.  Everyone should have a seat with seat belts, also.

It may seem that most passenger would agree the baby/toddler being held by the parent would make it fuss less, and would be more on board having the child unbelted for sanity's sake, but that isn't really true either.  Babies cry, no matter.