Honored Contributor

Re: Can Anyone Discuss A Snow Blower With Me?

@ID2 wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

DH and I bought our first snowblower close to 30 yrs. ago.  It was a Toro and one of their bigger models, not just a little pup.  It served us well and a couple of years ago we thought we should replace it.  We went to all the usual places and were really disheartened by the fact that there was so much plastic in the assembly.  We ended up bringing ours to a place that works on snowblowers.  They gave it a thorough going over and replaced everything that was needed.  We spent a couple hundred bucks but we're much happier doing that than buying plastic.  Granted, it won't be brand new in the box, but if you could find a shop that refurbishes and resells older models I think you'll actually get a better machine.  If you don't like that recommendation, at least go with a good name, like Toro.  Make sure it has an electric start (gasoline engine) and a chute that you can turn to direct where you want the snow to blow.  Also get a little bigger than you think you'll need.  If you live in the midwest, you know how our storms can be.  Smaller machines are short and won't do as good of a job in deep snow.

Oh I can sure relate to the ability of an older snow blower. I tell everyone our tale. The last time we bought a new snow blower was back in 1979 when we bought our first home in the middle of winter. Its a Toro and back then was called a snow thrower. Well, we've used that machine for the past 37 years with only very minor repairs. In fact its still working like a champ! But we have moved and now live up in snow country! The snow here gets very deep and snows more often. I finally gave my dh the go ahead and buy a new one with all the bells and whistles. He got the top notch Airens brand. Just picked it up a few weeks ago and now we eagerly await the first snow storm! Woman Happy

With that tagline of yours, @ID2, I understand.  My sister and BIL moved to Michigan a couple of years ago (Lake Michigan side, about halfway up the curve) They live just a few blocks from the beach and their first winter there the snowfall accumulation broke a record - something like 150".

Esteemed Contributor

I could not decide either , so I moved to Florida!

Respected Contributor

I had an opportunity to question DH about his snow blower.  That and lawn mowers are subjects I have avoided learning about.  Woman Wink

He has a 4 or 5 year old Troy Bilt, electric start, 2 stage blower.  It can pick up (Stage 1) and blow snow (Stage 2) in a depth range of 1"- 24".  The only maintenance he has done is an occasional oil change, and he says he has, "...not had a minute of trouble with it."  I asked him whether he has to drain the machine for Spring storage, and his answer was that he just makes sure to use the last of the fuel in the tank.

While I 'get' the negative comment about receiving an appliance, or work tool, as a gift, I also 'get' loving someone and trying to keep them safe. Where we live, the average annual snowfall is just over 5 feet.  As I said earlier, this 'appliance' could possibly prevent a heart attack. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

My sister/BIL have an ATV and he attached a blade on that and then there is no issue about whether machine is too heavy to push.  Their driveway is very very steep and long - he puts chains on the wheels in large snows and he's learned the hard way - if they are expecting a storm with a foot or more of snow, he goes out and plows it when the first 6 inches have fallen and every 6 inches thereafter - little to no stress.

Honored Contributor

gardenman, 

I get you now. I can tell you this about my zero turn Cub Cadet. Oil is easy to change, IF, you have specific tools. Just like new vehicles now, they want even back yard mechanics to have to bring things in for an oil and filter job.

Now if I had a hoist in my garage, my oil and filter change would be a piece of cake. Unfortunately our home did not come with that feature. Now I have a 3000lb capacity hydraulic jack, and jack stands that are 30" high, but that ain't high enough for me to get to the filter.

Now I have changed it, but easy? I could change my vehicles in less than 20 minutes, max. This mower? Takes longer than that just to round up the tools/jack and jackstands. A foot higher I would be able to use both arms/hands, which is much easier. 

Since my 5 year warranty has expired, I go by my knowledge of oil, not time, when I decide it needs oil and filter. If it looks clean and decent viscosity. It ain't worth me buying higher jack stands at this point of my life.

I am glad your blower oil change is easy, but were it like my mower? Easy would never be the word used in this regard. Good luck with your book(s).

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

gardenman, 

I get you now. I can tell you this about my zero turn Cub Cadet. Oil is easy to change, IF, you have specific tools. Just like new vehicles now, they want even back yard mechanics to have to bring things in for an oil and filter job.

Now if I had a hoist in my garage, my oil and filter change would be a piece of cake. Unfortunately our home did not come with that feature. Now I have a 3000lb capacity hydraulic jack, and jack stands that are 30" high, but that ain't high enough for me to get to the filter.

Now I have changed it, but easy? I could change my vehicles in less than 20 minutes, max. This mower? Takes longer than that just to round up the tools/jack and jackstands. A foot higher I would be able to use both arms/hands, which is much easier. 

Since my 5 year warranty has expired, I go by my knowledge of oil, not time, when I decide it needs oil and filter. If it looks clean and decent viscosity. It ain't worth me buying higher jack stands at this point of my life.

I am glad your blower oil change is easy, but were it like my mower? Easy would never be the word used in this regard. Good luck with your book(s).

hckynut(john)

The oil change is easy, they put a drain at the lower back of the engine so all you need do is put a pan down, remove the end cap and out comes the oil. It takes a few minutes to fully drain, then you put the cap back on, add the fresh oil, let it sit for a bit to settle, check the level, top off if need be and you're good to go. It still takes about fifteen to twenty minutes all total though and depending on the winter you might have to do it every few weeks depending on the snowfall and the temperature when you're using the blower. 

The first winter I used the snow blower I think I had to change the oil five times due to different temps at the time I was using it. As I've gotten older the novelty of using it has worn off and I've found easier ways to move the snow. Wrestling a nearly two hundred pound snow blower around the yard/driveway and the time it takes to prep it for use is all a bit much these days. For most snow storms I can be out with the scoop and have the snow moved in less time and with less effort than using the snow blower.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@ECBG

I have an Ariens.  My DH bought it many years ago so of course it's large, with a headlight and 5 speeds - self propelled.  Three speeds forward, two backward.  It runs on gas but has an electric push start button when you plug it in to an outlet.  I pretty much use it when we get lots of snow quickly.  If we just get a dusting or a couple of inches, I prefer to shovel.  It comes in handy when there is a big snow because once I'm out there and cold I clear the walks for 7 houses (down to the end of the street).  I'll also do my neighbors driveway.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise