Honored Contributor

Re: Can Anyone Discuss A Snow Blower With Me?

Living in Wisconsin, we have a medium sized one.  It is a Toro and is quite dependable, but we do have to mix gas and oil to fuel it.  

Valued Contributor

@ECBG

I understand completely!

Here is our snowblower review😀  

My husband has purchased Ariens snowblowers for the past 40 years...3 machines.  We live in NH and get a fair amount of snow. 

His last one was purchased 2 years ago.  He got a Deluxe 28" model because they were out of the one he wanted, a 24".   He thinks the 28" puts too much weight in the front making it harder to maneuver.  

He does not like the handlebars as they are too close together.  The motor (now made in China) runs strong and throws snow a long way.  

He likes the electric start.  He has chains for the wheels because our driveway is on a slight slope.  A nice accessory (comes standard on some) is heated grips. 

This Ariens has some sort of traction system that is supposed to move it forward (unlike the prior ones) but it causes the machine to go side to side, resulting in a struggle to keep it going straight.

If my husband were to pick another, he would also look at the Hondas.  He says they are more expensive but he has heard good things about them. 

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Honored Contributor

@ECBG

First I want to clarify something 1 poster said about gas engine snow blowers. Only those with a 2 cycle engine/2 strokes, need oil mixed with gas. I am not even sure most who manufacture them even make them relics anymore. Most are 4 stroke internal combustion engines(the same as in almost all motor vehicles), and oil is driven my an oil pump and the 2 additional strokes. In this order:

1) Intake

2)Compression

3) Power 

4) Exhaust

Now, what blower? Depends on how deep the snow/how heavy the snow(powder or moist and very heavy)/how long wide the area being plowed. For our snow and the length and width of our driveway? Electric is not even a consideration.

I would first need at least another 300' foot outdoor cord to our other 300' cord, and I would still be way short. Snow drifts in our drive and we had many drifts over waist high(3' at least) an electric could not handle it.

I did have a 2 stage 10hp/20" width snow blower, but after my 2nd heart attack, I didn'want to push mu luck. I now hire a friend of my sisters to do our drive way and walks.

Have to figure out the above before making a choice. A 1 Stage Blower only plows the snow and pushes the snow out a chute. They also our powered by the human, not the motor.

A Stage 2 Blower first collects the snow with the auger, than pushes it to an impeller that throws the snow a long way in any 360° direction. These wheels are driven via the motor, not the human.

Lots of options depending on each persons snow and housing situation.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

DH and I bought our first snowblower close to 30 yrs. ago.  It was a Toro and one of their bigger models, not just a little pup.  It served us well and a couple of years ago we thought we should replace it.  We went to all the usual places and were really disheartened by the fact that there was so much plastic in the assembly.  We ended up bringing ours to a place that works on snowblowers.  They gave it a thorough going over and replaced everything that was needed.  We spent a couple hundred bucks but we're much happier doing that than buying plastic.  Granted, it won't be brand new in the box, but if you could find a shop that refurbishes and resells older models I think you'll actually get a better machine.  If you don't like that recommendation, at least go with a good name, like Toro.  Make sure it has an electric start (gasoline engine) and a chute that you can turn to direct where you want the snow to blow.  Also get a little bigger than you think you'll need.  If you live in the midwest, you know how our storms can be.  Smaller machines are short and won't do as good of a job in deep snow.

Esteemed Contributor

We bought a medium sized Toro and love it.  It is a pull start but it starts easily. We bought an electric start lawn mower this summer....WHY didn't we do this years ago.  I would go with the electric start blower now,too,if I had it to do over.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

@hckynutThanks so much John.  Our driveway is normal width and about 10-12 cars long.  With where we live we both drive 4 Runners or we wouldn't get in or out.

I know I do not want a push one and I was thinking about a two or three cycle.  No way is an extension cord ever going to work here.  

This one seems to be quite popular in our area and is called a good value.  This brand seems to be well thought of as well as this store very well respected in our area.

Your thoughts?  Thanks!

Troy-Bilt Storm 2410 179-cc 24-in Two-Stage Electric Start Gas Snow Blower

Item # 189194 Model # 31AS62N2711

• Product 360 View
  • Product Video
  • Product Image 1
  • Product Image 2
  • Product Image 3
  • Product Image 4
Troy-Bilt Storm 2410 179-cc 24-in Two-Stage Electric Start Gas Snow Blower
Honored Contributor

@ECBG  I don't have any experience with the brand, but I think it's well respected.  The blower gets some nice high marks and it looks to have a good amount of metal.  Good choice for that long driveway of yours.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG

The blower I bought was also a Troy-Bilt with electric start.

I used it for 4 winters before my heart attacks and then sold it to a fellow I worked with for many years. No problems with it when I owned it.

I also still own a Troy-Bilt gasoline motor pressure washer? Have owned and used this for close to 8 years now, no problems.

The pictured blower looks like a good one. If you and/or your husband have never used a wheel motor driven blower, it might take you awhile to get accustomed to all the functions.

Glad I could help a bit with this.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I don't see this as something you'll slide under the tree for him, I'd let him choose which one he'd like. Since he shovels it, I'd let him decide. He will know what he can handle (age and fitness) and he can ask the dealer any questions he might have. It's a large important purchase, so see what he says and how he feels about it. He'll probably love you for that gift.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

1) Intake

2)Compression

3) Power 

4) Exhaust

hckynut(john)

@hckynut, I have to laugh! From my driver's ed. class in high school, this one set of info I memorized and still retain to this day. No idea why, but I had to do a laugh!