Honored Contributor

Can Anyone Discuss A Snow Blower With Me?

I think where we live this would be a perfect Christmas gift for my hubby.

We don't get city scraping and we have a long driveway.  Since the short street we're on angles straight down at our driveway it's a perfect choice.

Do you have any experience with them?

Many Thanks!Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Can Anyone Discuss A Snow Blower With Me?

[ Edited ]

@ECBG Get electric start, with gasoline engine. Then you don't have to mix gas & oil.  A paddle is lighter than auger type. Auger is for heavy snows.   21" paddle  is a good size. 

Respected Contributor

@ECBG  We have purchased two of them.  It is neither a luxury nor frivolous purchase. The first one was for my elderly father, who had a 100' uphill driveway.  This last one, a Troy Bilt, was for DH who has a long driveway and wide frontage to clear.  In each case I saw the purchase as a means toward heart attack prevention.  DH lost a friend who, as an act of kindness, was shovelling his neighbor's driveway. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Valued Contributor

If you have a long drive, a rider may be better than an actual snow blower. Make sure it has enough HP for the type of snow that you'll be having. We live in Buffalo, NY and we get a lot of snow and it's heavy. They aren't the easiest machines to handle.  I'd do some research and find the best one for your area. A few years ago we had all that snow and had to call someone with a bucket to remove all the snow that had accumulated at the end of the driveway and we hadn't even had any snow plows down the street. There was just that much snow. In fact, the plows couldn't get down our street and 2 of the bucket machines on skidsters got stuck.  And last year was so mild, we barely used the snow blower.  

Good luck.  

Helen852
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Snow blowers come in two stages.  A stage 1 is a smaller, light weight machine.  If you get less than say 6 inches of snow, that's what you want.  It may struggle a little if the snow plow leaves a pile at the end of the driveway.  I had one and loved it.  It was light enough that I could put it in my SUV and take to my parents house.

When I moved to the Midwest, I needed a bigger snow blower.  I got a stage 2.  It has enough power to get through 2 feet of snow.  The one thing I dislike about it is that to change which side the snow blows is a manual crank.  I don't know if they have another option, but if I ever buy another one I'll be looking for it.  It is a lot heavier than the stage 1, but it's self propelled and rolls along with a little effort.

After having snow blowers, I'd never go back to the good old days when I shoveled.  It's a great gift.  

Respected Contributor

You've received some great tips, but I'd give a shout-out to @gardenman.

I swear, that man is a fountain of knowledge!

Muddling through...
Valued Contributor

@ECBG

I thought my husband, who has used snowblowers all his life, would be an excellent resource.  Instead, his response surprised me.  I know you were looking for help in selecting one but his response was so heartfelt, I thought I'd share. 

My husband questioned me when I told him it was going to be a "Christmas" gift for your husband. 

Then, I thought about it.  He is the one who goes out into the cold, at all hours, and uses the snow blower to clear the driveway...for all of us. 

His take was it is more a "tool" for the house or maybe a Christmas present for both of us.  In that case, he would like to pick it out. He said it was like him giving me a washer and dryer for Christmas. 

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Valued Contributor

We have one that rarely gets out of the garage.  It's a pull start and special gas type and has to be drained in the spring.  It is more trouble than its worth for our not too deep snows.  I actually like shoveling, but for the occasional blizzard our lawn service takes care of it.  I don't like the light, slippery coating left by the blower.  I like a dry sidewalk.  So I think it depends on your snow situation.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@rrpell wrote:

@ECBG

I thought my husband, who has used snowblowers all his life, would be an excellent resource.  Instead, his response surprised me.  I know you were looking for help in selecting one but his response was so heartfelt, I thought I'd share. 

My husband questioned me when I told him it was going to be a "Christmas" gift for your husband. 

Then, I thought about it.  He is the one who goes out into the cold, at all hours, and uses the snow blower to clear the driveway...for all of us. 

His take was it is more a "tool" for the house or maybe a Christmas present for both of us.  In that case, he would like to pick it out. He said it was like him giving me a washer and dryer for Christmas. 

@rrpellThank you so very much.  I would prefer he exchange it because if I take him, he won't pick what he wants because of the cost.  

I've read a lot about them but thought that Q is such a valuable resource I'd be better to ask.  There is never anything like experience!

Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG  one year I bought DH a lawnmower.

It was his pride and joy.  He waxed that thing! 

I bought it to make his life easier.

It is the thought that counts!