Honored Contributor

Re: CHIPS ARE NOT ALWAYS BETTER.......

@Moonchilde

Macys had one.  It did take a few minutes, and was slow!!  You insert it a certain way , flat into the slot (lika an ATM).  No swiping.  However, you are right I have not seen one except the Macy's card reader.

Honored Contributor

I just received my chipped card about 2 weeks ago.  I made an Amazon charge on it a few days ago but have not used it outside of the house and after reading this thread, I was glad that I hadn't.

Tonight, because I was having insomnia, I decided to see if the Amazon charges were out of pending status.  Imagine my surprise when I see two $50 charges pending for Starbucks purchases dated for Oct. 25th!  Now I really can't sleep.  My card has not been out of my wallet and I haven't been to a Starbucks in years.  My husband didn't do it either.  I can't imagine what happened.  I'm calling my CC company as soon as I get up this morning.  

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

So I just activated my new Target card - now a Mastercard - with a chip.  I had to give a PIN number because the automated phone activator told me I will have to use the PIN now each time I make a Target purchase with the card.  More hassles.

Respected Contributor

@aprilskies wrote:

I was in Trader Joes yesterday and they were having problems as well. Seems they got the new system a few days ago.  The couple of people in front of me really got held up and they must not of had cash on them.  They need to work out the bugs.  It is a good thing for our safety, but they need to work it out.  

I went to my local TJs two weeks ago and they had the chip reader. No problems with my transaction.  Like anything else that is new there will be glitches.  I don't see it as an on-going problem.

~Enough is enough~
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

so all this "trouble" that some are experiencing amounts to what? One minute? Two minutes?  And this is likely only due to the novelty and working out the kinks in the system in many cases...

Small price  to pay for peace of mind and greater protection...just my opinion, of course..but people who complain over a lost two minutes, probably have more to worry about than I obviously do...

Respected Contributor

@Mothertrucker wrote:

so all this "trouble" that some are experiencing amounts to what? One minute? Two minutes?  And this is likely only due to the novelty and working out the kinks in the system in many cases...

Small price  to pay for peace of mind and greater protection...just my opinion, of course..but people who complain over a lost two minutes, probably have more to worry about than I obviously do...

The point isn't the extra time I have to wait but consider what it translates into during the holidays with all the long lines made even longer with the added wait time per person.  

Solution: use test sites first and work out the kinks before dumping a sloppy system onto the general public.  THEN train all the cashiers.  That is how a good system introduction should be handled.  Obviously, this has not been a good conversion.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Trusted Contributor

@ashleigh dupray wrote:

i have used a chip card at WM with no issues. its really quick.

you do need to mindful of the card! 

some of the other retailers around here are waiting until the end of the year , but, they do have the POS terminals and pinpads in place. they have had new square black Verifone boxes for a while now. (the chip card is inserted in a slot at the bottom below the pin pad)

Yes, WM is equipped for them, and you can use them there without any problems. My DH told me that other merchants are set up for them too, now.

It just takes some getting used to, where you have to insert your card to use it and wait for the transaction to finish processing, as opposed to swiping your card.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

Yes, the chip card is very slow and will slow things down at registers come the busy holiday season (on Black Friday merchants will not be loving those chip cards!). iping.  It's too easy to walk off and leave this card.   But to me, the very worst thing about them is that they have to leave my hand.  I am very likely to walk off and leave one in the machine.  When I swipe my credit card, it is always in my hand and I put it right back in my wallet after swI hate 'em!

@Mothertrucker  No that's not "all."  Perhaps you missed this post of mine.

Honored Contributor

The only time it has been an issue was when the cashier didn't know what keys to press on her register; that's managements fault, not the chip.

In my experience, the chip is faster...much faster.