Respected Contributor

CHIPS ARE NOT ALWAYS BETTER.......

Received a new Visa card with a chip recently.  I've used it in several stores now and have found the card devices to process the charge to be very SLOW and sometimes needing a manager to assist the cashier. 

At Walmart the processing time is quite slow:  can't wait for the holidays to see how long the checkout lines are going to get.

Yesterday at Macy's, no matter how many ways the cashier and I tried to turn the card to get it into the receptacle, it was declined.  Of course, with the chip it couldn't be simply run down the side slide as before.  I tried a different card with chip: same non-result.  Cashier got the manager to come over and we finally got the charge processed.  Yes, cashier and customer need additional training there; however, at other devices in that store, the story was the same.  That manager better get a pair of roller skates to handle the situation before Thanksgiving and the hordes that will descend on the store.

What a nightmare in the making!!!!!

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

Re: CHIPS ARE NOT ALWAYS BETTER.......

DH says cash is never declined. We always pay cash.

And there was no one left to speak out for me....
Esteemed Contributor

I have had the same problem with my new RFID chipped card. I hate it!!!!

Card does not run thru the card reader most times or some stores do not even have the equipment to insert the card into to read.

When I received my second card updated I called the credit card co. and told them I did not want a chipped card because of the hassle. I was told all card would be switched over by a certain date, so I had no choice in the matter!  Now I need to look for a RDID protector or wallet to carry the cards securely.

Honored Contributor

Yes, the chip card is very slow and will slow things down at registers come the busy holiday season (on Black Friday merchants will not be loving those chip cards!).  But to me, the very worst thing about them is that they have to leave my hand.  I am very likely to walk off and leave one in the machine.  When I swipe my credit card, it is always in my hand and I put it right back in my wallet after swiping.  It's too easy to walk off and leave this card.  I hate 'em!

Honored Contributor

Oh I thought you were talking about potato chips Smiley Happy

I used the new chipped card once and it took quite a few tries before it caught.  Unless it's a dire emergency or large purchase I'll make sure I have enough cash on me when I am out shopping.

Respected Contributor

I've had the same problem, hopefully they'll get the "bugs" worked out before the Holiday Season.  I use my debit card as "credit" wondering if it would it be the same if I used it as a debit card?

Respected Contributor

Almost all my CC have a chip and I have to say I have not noticed any problem at the registers.  

I will say my CC info has been stolen more in the last year than in my entire life!  I no longer ignore any "bank" calls on my caller id, because lately they calls about suspicious/ fraudulent activity on one of my credit cards.  (((sigh)))

Honored Contributor

Oh heck yea having chip credit cards are going to be a whole lot better!! We Americans are soooo behind from other countries when it comes to providing added security when using our credit cards! Sure its going to take a while before the kinks are worked out but in the long run it'll be so much better! I'm disappointed that nearly every store I have gone to this month isn't equipped with a chip reader yet. I thought they were supposed to all be in place by Oct 1st! That, to me, is more disappointing than it working "slowly".

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I have not had any issues with any of my new cards.

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Oh heck yea having chip credit cards are going to be a whole lot better!! We Americans are soooo behind from other countries when it comes to providing added security when using our credit cards! Sure its going to take a while before the kinks are worked out but in the long run it'll be so much better! I'm disappointed that nearly every store I have gone to this month isn't equipped with a chip reader yet. I thought they were supposed to all be in place by Oct 1st! That, to me, is more disappointing than it working "slowly".

You are right - very few stores where I live have machines that take the chip yet.