Honored Contributor

CAN YOU RECOMMEND A GOOD UMBRELLA?

Although Southern CA has been affected by the years long drought, it does rain here .... occasionally.     

I've had a really nice Totes Umbrella for years ... press the button and it opens up.  Unfortunately, closing it was a little tricky.   Now my umbrella has broken ... and I realized I haven't shopped for one of these in approximately 25 years!

I know there are new features and materials etc etc ....  I'd really appreciate your feedback .... What do you love or hate about your umbrella?   

I don't want to spend $200 on a high quality golf umbrella, but I don't want a piece of kwap, either.   

All feedback,  suggestions and recommendations are very much appreciated!

TIA !  Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: CAN YOU RECOMMEND A GOOD UMBRELLA?

Good luck.  I don't even own a raincoat or umbrella.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I just have a Totes mini that opens and closes with the push of a button. I rarely, rarely ever use it.  I bought it at the grocery store.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

I just have a totes in umbrella that I leave in the car. I guess they still work as I haven opened them in quite a while. I live in Arizona and rain doesn't bother me. I look forward to it.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

The best umbrellas I find are at Costco. They usually have a golf umbrella with a smaller one and sell them as a set. The also have very compact ones that are easy to open and close. I think the small one I bought for myself before Christmas was $9.99. I don't recall the brand but it see,s very good quality. I bought it due to the size and I can even get it in my purse if I need to. I know to never buy a cheap umbrella. It will break when you need it the most. Totes is a dependable brand also. 

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 

Try looking up Good Housekeeping's 15 best umbrellas for 2022.  

Esteemed Contributor

Southern California girl here as well. I do not have recommendations but I can tell you which ones not to buy. Do not purchase those reverse umbrellas that QVC and HSN sells. I purchased twice, one from each channel and both broke within two or three uses. Considering that we do not get rain that often, that was just a waste of my dollars. 

I am currently using two umbrellas that I received from my job, that work and have held up.

Honored Contributor

I have a Samsonite no-flip umbrella and I love it.  Prior to this umbrella, the wind would get under them, slip them inside out and bend the spokes. 

Honored Contributor

Knirps or another Totes.

Valued Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Although Southern CA has been affected by the years long drought, it does rain here .... occasionally.     

I've had a really nice Totes Umbrella for years ... press the button and it opens up.  Unfortunately, closing it was a little tricky.   Now my umbrella has broken ... and I realized I haven't shopped for one of these in approximately 25 years!

I know there are new features and materials etc etc ....  I'd really appreciate your feedback .... What do you love or hate about your umbrella?   

I don't want to spend $200 on a high quality golf umbrella, but I don't want a piece of kwap, either.   

All feedback,  suggestions and recommendations are very much appreciated!

TIA !  Woman Happy

I recently noticed Totes has an umbrella that closes at the press of a button in addition to opening at the press of a button.  At least that's what the little card attached to it said.  If I remember correctly, it was collapsible, too, but not a mini.