Respected Contributor

I am a brest cancer survivor, 13 years now, but haven't been sleeping well. Is it ok to take melatonin as it is a hormone, and have been told not to take any type of hormone. I need my sleep and starting to get grouchy. Don't think it's menopause as I went through that in my 30's as a result of the chemo. Looking for the magic bullet.

Respected Contributor

Re: Breast Cancer and Melatonin

I used to take Melatonin and was diagnosed 11/15.  My oncologist said it was ok to take Melatonin.  I too have read where it is a hormone but he said ok.  I also take Tamoxifen.  My sleep patterns change alot and I was off Melatonin for while but now I am considering taking it again.  I need my sleep too!

Honored Contributor

I was dx in 2012 with breast cancer and have never heard that melatonin could be a no-no but I can't take it anyway as it just makes me feel awful in the morning. I too, don't sleep worth beans anymore but have been taking a mineral powder called OptiLife Tranquil from E*vine shopping channel. It is a powder that you mix hot or cold and drink before bedtime. It contains 400 iu of vit d 3, 250 mg of calcium,600 mg of magnesium,198 mg of potassium and 20mg of sodium. It taste a little chalky and sweet but not unpleasant at all. I drink it warm and I drink it during the late afternoon as who wants to get up to go to the bathroom at night. It works really well for me and I have been a chronic insomniac for 30 years.I usually get maybe 5 hours of sleep; but  the quality of my sleep is much better. Those minerals are all relaxing type things and prob we are all low  in them anyway. It's about $25 for 7.4 oz and the scoop size is 7 grams. Will last 30 days. I"m auto delivery too. There are other things like this in the market, I think one is called Calm but they didn't have these all these ingredients.

Esteemed Contributor

From what you write, you had a quick menopause at 30 as a result of the chemo - however, your natural menopause may be kicking in.  When that happens, you will have sleep fluctuations.  Chemo is only temporary.  Glad you survived. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Esteemed Contributor

When I have trouble sleeping I take benadryl. That is what is used in Tylenol Pm and other sleep products. I can't take melatonin as I feel weird the next day and I cannot take Ambien either. Benadryl works good for me and isn't addictive and I don't feel wonky the next day.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you are on tamoxifen for breast cancer DO NOT take benadryl as it is a MAJOR inhibitor of tamoxifen's effectiveness.  I am also a bc survivor.

Honored Contributor

Vitamin D is actually a hormone. 

Does anyone who had breast cancer had to avoid plant based estrogen? 

Usually people think soy, but all kinds of beans and other vegetables--even tomatoes contain estrogen. 

Esteemed Contributor

Valerian root is another alternative option.

Melatonin is a neurological hormone.  Our vet recommended it for our dog, Quincy, who is being treated for lymphoma.  He said it helps with chemo related hair loss.  Our dog sleeps like a log at night after taking it.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lucky Charm wrote:

Vitamin D is actually a hormone. 

Does anyone who had breast cancer had to avoid plant based estrogen? 

Usually people think soy, but all kinds of beans and other vegetables--even tomatoes contain estrogen. 

If it lived, it has hormones.  There's no escaping it, but soy should be avoided for most people--especially men.  A high-carb diet also makes the body produce a ton of unwanted hormones because the increased insulin fires up the endocrine system.  

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Honored Contributor

What about Magnesium? I take this and it helps.