Honored Contributor

Re: Brad Pitt accused of child abuse

@silentgirl wrote:

@croemer wrote:

I read that he told their son to sit down and the son told Brad to "shut the $%*$ up." Now if my child did that...I would be in his face as well. I think they both have their problems.

I'm a child of the 50's.  If I had spoken to my father that way (or my mother) I would not be responding to this post-I'd be in dirt sleep!

People can say anything on Gawker, it's not a credible source but it has been picked up by other not credible sources.  Meaning direct quotes from Gawker.

I'd want a credible source before I believed that.

Honored Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

And now the rumors and stories start......I will respectfully choose to ignore all of them. Only two people know what really goes on in a relationship and why they are divorcing. 

So True.  It takes effort to prove child abuse.  Whatever the reasons, they want out of their marriage and I say, okay. 

Maybe other more sordid details will be disclosed in the future.

It does, but child abuse workers don't take this kind of action unless they suspect something going on:

"Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie have reportedly struck a temporary custody deal that will subject the 'Fight Club' actor to random drug testing and an initial supervised visit with his kids.

The estranged couple reached a temporary agreement on Friday granting Jolie full physical custody of the couple's six children, TMZ reports. Pitt's first visit with his children will be supervised by a therapist, according to the gossip site."

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/angelina-jolie-granted-full-custody-temporary-deal-r...

Valued Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@silentgirl wrote:

@croemer wrote:

I read that he told their son to sit down and the son told Brad to "shut the $%*$ up." Now if my child did that...I would be in his face as well. I think they both have their problems.

I'm a child of the 50's.  If I had spoken to my father that way (or my mother) I would not be responding to this post-I'd be in dirt sleep!

As a child born in the early sixties I would imagine "the look" from your Father just like the one's from my Mother would do the job well before the next step.  I was 22 and a Mom myself before it dawned on me she did not have eyes in the back of her head.  Still I would never have gotten away with any back talk with clean language.  Back talk was definitely a cause for big time discipline.

LOL-  @beckyb1012  Yes...."the look!"  If it wasn’t the look, the tone of voice when saying our name was enough. That's all it took....

No, no no no no… we were not allowed to raise our voices,  no talking back, total eye contact when spoken to-especially when disciplined and there would never have been a day when I would have used expletives when speaking to my mom or dad, any adult, or any of my siblings, (that’s not to say we don’t use expletives) but not in those instances.

They didn't really need to be physical because honestly, we didn't want to disappoint them...It’s hard to have eye contact when the lip quivers, tears well up in the eyes and the natural reaction is to look away-which only earned a “look at me when I’m speaking to you.” That was enough for us!

Anything between my parents was usually handled privately, but if it had occurred for whatever reason in our presence, to the extent we are addressing in this thread,  it would not have been our concern; it would have been mom and dads....

If that had been us on the plane- one by one, I can assure you, we would have scattered!

Darling avatar-hard to be very serious when looking at that little chubby pink foot!

Valued Contributor

Wanted to come back to this briefly-didn't have time to click on my posted link for the Gawker vid –Going back, the link is broken-

While Gawker may not be reputable,  the actual video, (which was Angelina) filmed by a friend of Angelina describing and explaining her own actions-can be found on youtube-If you've an interest.

The source here (again) is Angelina-while disturbing, is certainly, reasonably acceptable.

Respected Contributor

@January121 wrote:

The pressures related to their line of work plus having 6 kids around the house along with keeping up with their lives has to be a lot to handle!!!! .... hopefully everything will work out for them.

I'm sure they have pressures, the same pressures we all face! I'm sorry, I can't cut them slack because of "their line of work plus having 6 kids...". Many, many people work very hard at menial, or tedious jobs and don't make enough money to feed their families, yet they don't make public spectacles of their family problems! Not to mention BP and AJ chose to keep adding to their family, and although they made touching choices by adopting, if they couldn't handle the pressure, they should have simply donated a big chunk of money to a few overseas orphanages and children's hospitals!

it is not my intention to accuse this poster, or anyone here, of worshiping celebs, but I feel if celebs make the choice to grow their families, they owe it to those children to work it out unless one is abusive! Since this seems to be the case, it is my hope the abuser tried to get help right away so as not to inflict any more trauma on the children than has already been inflicted. Celebs love the limelight when it makes them millions, but when times are bad they suddenly want to be private citizens again! In for a penny, in for a pound! Unfortunately, the children are the ones who will ultimately pay the price! Whatever was done, and done by whom, I hope it was worth the pain he or she is inflicting, and will likely continue to inflict.

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Esteemed Contributor

I'm just surprised they're really getting divorced!!!

Esteemed Contributor

We don't really know if that is all Angelinas dad did. As for Jennifers mom, she has said herself she was very cold to her about her whole life and constantly made negative comments about her looks and weight. Then she got paid doing an article about her. Angelinas dad also publicly talked about her negatively. How could you ever trust your parent again once they go to a magazine, newspaper or on television and talk about you negatively? I love my mom more than anything in the world but she was so positive and encouraging to me growing up. I can't imagine having a gorgeous mom (which Jen A's supposedly was) constantly putting me down telling me how unattractive I am and treating me with indifference. I don't know why anyone here or anywhere else would judge either of these ladies for cutting off these relationships when they have no idea why they were ended. 

Being famous you have everyone in the free world trying to sell a salacious story, picture or video about you. I would think family would become even more important then, being one of the few people you could trust. I don't blame either one. Just because someone is your blood doesn't mean they are your family or even people who love you that you should trust.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

I recently had a similar discussion with my youngest daughter via phone (she's 36 and unmarried, no children) and my oldest daughter (she's 43) with 4 children, youngest is 4 and oldest is 14, also the middle on joined in later (she's 41) with 3 children, 5, 7 and 9.

We talked about how if you want respect you earn it by not setting two sets of rules (I'm talking about smoking, cursing, being respectful, honest, etc).  Children learn by what they see.

My late husband was busy building businesses when my girls were young.  I was a stay at home mother, loved being a mom and took it very seriously.

All I had to do when they got really troublesome (which was very seldom) was say, "Are we going to have to talk to your Dad about this?"  That meant when he got home, THEY would go to him and tell them what they'd done.  They'd say, "NO"!  He wasn't mean just very matter of fact and didn't let them get away with stuff (like I sometimes did).

To this day my youngest daughter who lives alone in another state will text me good morning and good night (a smiley face sometimes) to make sure I'm OK (I live alone) and to tell me all's well with her.  My girls were taught it is being respectful to not be rude or make your parents worry about you.  It's not a parent checking up.

Kids these days have little or no respect for adults or authority.  I know some of them do, but I see it everywhere.  It isn't easy being a parent but anyone can be one.  Just pop out a kid.  Most people can do it.  

I buy a lot of trash magazines and there is always a theme in them from the beginning.  Those two parent very differently, she was raised differently from him.  You can read between the lines.

If you go back and read what I'd posted earlier you'd see that Sharon Osbourne said she spends a lot of time in England and the Queen gave Angela some kind of title and she can hold some kind of public service (didn't care enough to pay attention).  She said in England the word is Angie wants to go into public service and he wants to be home based in the US and continue to be involved in the movie business, etc.  They are going different routes.  I think that, plus the children are doing what children do, get away with whatever they can as they get older.  

For whatever reason it isn't easy for a parent to just come in (after being away for a long period of time and be Daddy.  I have no idea if any of this is true but I've never seen anything where he is anything other than a good parent.  His parents and family have also been involved in helping to raise the children (I see them often with the children).  I think it's just different parenting skills (Angie has always said she believes in giving children freedom and they will do the right thing.  Ha!

This is totally from my little pea brain and doesn't mean a whole lot.  It just bothers me when I see that people think what goes on in a family and marriage is the result of one thing.  It's probably been a long time coming (supposedly, who knows, they haven't slept together in months).  Children are smart and are probably taking advantage of the weakness in the family structure.  It's a kid being a kid and parents need to unite and co-parent together or these children are in real trouble....a pistol like she was...remember?

Honored Contributor

@Imadickens wrote:

@January121 wrote:

The pressures related to their line of work plus having 6 kids around the house along with keeping up with their lives has to be a lot to handle!!!! .... hopefully everything will work out for them.

I'm sure they have pressures, the same pressures we all face! I'm sorry, I can't cut them slack because of "their line of work plus having 6 kids...". Many, many people work very hard at menial, or tedious jobs and don't make enough money to feed their families, yet they don't make public spectacles of their family problems! Not to mention BP and AJ chose to keep adding to their family, and although they made touching choices by adopting, if they couldn't handle the pressure, they should have simply donated a big chunk of money to a few overseas orphanages and children's hospitals!

it is not my intention to accuse this poster, or anyone here, of worshiping celebs, but I feel if celebs make the choice to grow their families, they owe it to those children to work it out unless one is abusive! Since this seems to be the case, it is my hope the abuser tried to get help right away so as not to inflict any more trauma on the children than has already been inflicted. Celebs love the limelight when it makes them millions, but when times are bad they suddenly want to be private citizens again! In for a penny, in for a pound! Unfortunately, the children are the ones who will ultimately pay the price! Whatever was done, and done by whom, I hope it was worth the pain he or she is inflicting, and will likely continue to inflict.

Why choose to believe there is an "abuser?" Because the media (guided by one of the parties involved) says there is?

What if it was a smart-mouthed teen cussing out his father, and dad lost his temper and yelled back. Is that "inflicting abuse?"

Should every parent everywhere be held to a 100% "perfect parent standard" (decided by whom?) all the time, or just celebrity parents? Or just these celebrity parents - in a household where one parent is trying to call ALL the shots, all the time.

As I said earlier in the thread, people have made up their minds to believe whatever they have chosen to believe as soon as the first stories hit the airwaves, and it's based on who they admire, who they relate to, who they feel sorry for.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I really do hope that things work out for this family and that the parents can come to an amicable agreement as to the raising of their kids.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson