Honored Contributor

Bought a new car today....quite a long ordeal....

We bought a 2016 KIA Sorento.  We got to the dealership at 11:00 AM....left at 5:00 PM. It is very long and drawn out process....  We had to wait an hour just to get the final paperwork drawn up as there were people in front of us.

We test drove two cars.  I am mentally drained. I forgot what all was involved in purchasing a car as it had been 16 years. The sales person was  a pleasent none pushy person and we never felt rushed or pushed into anything.  Only negative was the time spent. We got 0% financing and it comes with a 10 year bumper to bumper warranty, and free oil changes for the life of the car......Beautiful car!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Bought a new car today....quite a long ordeal....

Enjoy your new car.

Honored Contributor

Well, buying a car is not like buying a pair of pants...lol   You got your new car, so just enjoy it.  Congrats!  There is niothing like that new car feeling. 

Valued Contributor

Wow, that's a long time, but remember, it is what they refer to as 'month end' and want to close the deals.  

We lease, so every 3 years we are in an out.  As a former employee of the one of the 'big 3', I know what I want, pick it out and come back in a few days to turn in and sign the paperwork --- if it's an hour total, that's it for me.  

Enjoy your new vehicle.  My son and DIL puchased a used '13 Kia Sorrento a few months ago and love it.  Did their research on line, I made a call to a friend who's a GM of the dealership and they were done in less than 2 hours.

Helen852
Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden

I know....In 2013 I got a new car.  Hadn't bought one since 2003.  I couldn't believe how long I was in the dealership after the test drive.  Something like 4-5 hours and there was only one person the salesman was finishing up with.  Nothing like the old days, even when we were able to custom order the cars.

Enjoy your new Sorento, DH and I had one years ago.  It is a nice vehicle.  Just want to mention please review the warranty to see that it covers everything for 10 years.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Allegheny wrote:

@SeaMaiden

I know....In 2013 I got a new car.  Hadn't bought one since 2003.  I couldn't believe how long I was in the dealership after the test drive.  Something like 4-5 hours and there was only one person the salesman was finishing up with.  Nothing like the old days, even when we were able to custom order the cars.

Enjoy your new Sorento, DH and I had one years ago.  It is a nice vehicle.  Just want to mention please review the warranty to see that it covers everything for 10 years.  

@Allegheny  Thanks for your input! Yes it is a warranty on the drive train. Does not cover Tires etc. but the tires have their own warrenty which is quite good. 

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Allegheny wrote:

@SeaMaiden

@Allegheny  Thanks for your input! Yes it is a warranty on the drive train. Does not cover Tires etc. but the tires have their own warrenty which is quite good. 

@SeaMaiden  Yes, tires, brake lining, lights and those things are not covered.  We only had one issue with ours. It involved the wiring harness (kept blowing out head lights).  At the time we bought ours we had to pay for the extended 10 year warranty,  the basic was 3 years.  When they told us they would not upgrade the wiring harness we cashed in the remainder of our warranty.  I guess we could have pushed the issue, but we were planning on getting a new vehicle soon.

Honored Contributor

Congratulations on the new car.   It sounds like you earned it.   I'd rather fight a pitfull of alligators than make a trip to an auto dealership.   That's why I'm still driving a 2003.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

CONGRATS on the new car.  Use it in good health and I hope it gives you a lifetime of good service.  Sounds like you got a GREAT deal (0% financing and bumper to bumper warranty).

We got a new Honda Odyssey over the summer and it took about 2 hours total.  Found a deal on Truecar.com, called a local dealership to see if they'd match the offer, they did, went in and test drove then filled out the paperwork.

Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden

That sounds like a great deal: 0%, bumper to bumper warranty for 10 years, free oil changes for life.  Wow!  Congratulations and enjoy your new car!