Honored Contributor

@Preds wrote:

I think our DNA is the seed that we work with.  Good or bad, we cultivate it, nurture it, feed it or weed it.  I see both parents in me and I see both in my DD.  Influence comes from everywhere and in every way.  How it's absorbed is different for each of us.

And interesting is who absorbs, and who doesn't, or why multiple siblings absorb the same things but manifest them quire differently.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde  There's an interesting book (written a long time ago) by Nancy Friday, it's called "My Mother Myself".

I always found it fascinating and learned from it.

Honored Contributor

Unconditional love - something I've never had.  There were conditions on the "love" I got for most of my life. It may not be the stand-alone most important thing, but it's no good if you have the other stuff *without* it.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@Moonchilde  There's an interesting book (written a long time ago) by Nancy Friday, it's called "My Mother Myself".

I always found it fascinating and learned from it.

I read it when it first came out and remember doing a lot of head-nodding at the time ;-)

Respected Contributor

I inherited my good traits from my Dad and my bad traits from my Mother. I guess I could be considered a weirdo by many. I am a clean freak and extremely organized. I am low income, so cannot brag about how much money I have and how much I spend on "mani/pedi's", "personal trainers", "wine clubs", "hair color/styling", etc.  I do my own nails, color my own hair, and go to a beauty college on senior day to get a discount on my monthly hair cut. I use coupons whenever I can. Like Popeye, I am what I am. Smiley Happy

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Super Contributor

@Moonchilde

you said:

The disagreement is betweem total or partial, nature or nurture, amount of adaptability, how we are raised, our experiences, etc. and how much effect (or not) all of this has on our birth personality.

Short history me:

My dad was a drunk, deserted my Mom and sis amd me when I was FIVE, NEVER came back.

Mom, was a single mom, many times worked THREE jobs at once

Mom was the bravest and strongest person I know, she never quit :-)

She learned to survive, and so did I.

I got her GOOD qualities......and her "shortcomings"   LOL

Stubborn is one of them !!!  LOL

Before my Mom died, Sis and Mom had a fight. Mom never forgave Sis, something to do with money. :-(

There was no healing, no forgiveness...Mom and Sis were TWO peas in a pod. CLONES

Neither was ever going to admit she(they) was wrong.

Before Mom died, she sat me down, and told me her story as a young girl, it was courage on her part. She trusted me.

From that day on, I never saw her as a woman, I saw her as another young girl that was abused by her family...but she NEVER quit !

My life was shaped and formed by my "family"

BUT, I am an adult.....Do NOT play the victum :-)

When Mom died, no tears, no pain, ever...there was peace :-)

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." MLK
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

Recent threads have got me to mulling this. No real right or wrong "answer", but I'm curious about peoples experiences - family, relatives, friends, etc.

Although there is no complete concensus among them scientists and psychologists tend to agree that we are born with our basic personality. The disagreement is betweem total or partial, nature or nurture, amount of adaptability, how we are raised, our experiences, etc. and how much effect (or not) all of this has on our birth personality.

I tend to believe, like I'm guessing most people would (?) that we are a combination of our DNA and the experiences of our upbringing, good or bad, that can affect the basic personality for good or ill.

But I find it a bit spooky when I experience two people raised in the same way by at least one of the same people, and their personalities are totally, utterly different in every way - and then it is passed on to one or more of *their* children, i.e. one sibling will behave exactly as a parent and the others will or won't in varying degrees.

What really fascinates me is what determines who we take after, mom or dad, and whether some traits are genetically stronger or overriding than others.

My mother was somewhat like her mother, but not much. I think she was more like her father. My sister was the polar opposite of me and my mother. I am somewhat, but not totally, like my mother and nothing like my father. Of my sister's five children, one of them is a carbon copy of her, personality-wise, the others not. A grand niece has two children and they are both very much like their (different) fathers but also like her as their nurturing parent.

It's all opinion, but I find it very interesting.

ETA that I am speaking of personality, not gender or romantic preferences as those are biological, not mental. 

I don't think most would say we are born with our complete personality, but we are born with genetic predispositions toward certain traits, such as shyness.

It's more of a nature/nurture combo.

Two people from the same family, raised the same way usually will be different, because they don't inherit the same DNA combos, different for every child except twins.

Even twins can be different because some genes are dormant unless triggered by an outside cause, like a virus,

Honored Contributor

When I was in college and in Psyc, we learned that we are born with twenty percent of our personality and eighty percent is learned.  These findings are from Freud and Eric Erickson.  

I think we have all seen an infant who is stubborn grow up to be a stubborn person.  That is the 20 percent inborn personality.  (Children born to alcoholics tend to be withdrawn and often their brains photograph differently).

Within respects of gender,assuming homelife is functional, most children will usually start to gravitate to the gender specific parent between five and seven.  A little boy will be less of a "Moma's boy".

If home life is dysfunctional, children will move to the parent that is healthy in seeking nurturing.

All of these findings have come from studying large groups.

If the parent of one family becomes unavailable because of alcohol, drugs, whatever, the family can't be used in a study because their "normal" is not healthy and doesn't foster healthy growth, rather the childern try to take the role of adults.

Of course it goes on for volumes.

Trusted Contributor

I think it is both nature and nuture.  It may seem that kids raised under what appear to be the same circumstance should be more similar because they get the same nuturing but that certainly isn't true in my family.  There were 4 kids with significant years between each of us and our mother clearly favored one child and our father clearly favored a different child.  Also because of the big age difference (over 15 years between the oldest and the youngest) our parent's circumstances and experiences were significantly different.  They had more disposable income when the last two came along so less stress and also parenting theories changed a lot  between 1945 and 1961 (first and last births).  The two oldest were influenced/nutured more by grandparents who were aging by the time the last two came along.  Because of what I personally experienced growing up in that household, I know that it may have looked like we all were a big happy family with all the same nuturing, that was not true at all.  Consequently the four of us have completely different personalities, different levels of success in our adult lives and marriages/relationships, etc. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Born that way?

[ Edited ]

Interesting issue.  I am sure it is a mix of nature and nurture. 

I just wanted to add, though, that my mother had six children and she said each and every one of us was the person we came to be from day one, minute one.  She said none of us changed a particle.  It was amazing to her, as she figured the temperaments of her children would at least be similar--but they weren't.

ETA:  I have two handwritings--one looks like my Mother's, but once in a while my hand, esp. in my signature, looks exactly like my Dad's.