Trusted Contributor

Re: Billed for being a no show at wedding

That happened at our wedding. Three people RSVP'd that they were coming and then 'no shows' with feeble excuses but I never thought of sending them a bill though I would have liked to. Our 'per person' meal was much higher than theirs unfortunately. But it was very rude.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The bill was wrong, wrong wrong.  But it's a family matter.  Not national news.

I saw 2 of the interviews w/ the No Show. 

Neither one did I hear her say the grandmother had to 'watch another grandchild with a contagious illness'. 

Maybe it'll be Breaking News during Jeopardy.....

But No Show did talk out the side of her mouth and mention being billed for 'encrusted walleye' and she also mentioned (in both interviews I saw) that NO CHILDREN were allowed.

Me thinks that she has had a problem with that from day one.....

I wonder if No Show was a *good* bride?

More on news at 11..........

Honored Contributor

LD - Yeah, this whole 'running to the media with everything' that happens now is really weird and creepy.  What the heck, people?

Honored Contributor

Why couldn't either the mom or the dad go to the wedding and the other parent stay home with the sick child? 

They would have only been billed for one no show.  LOL

Trusted Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I guess I'm not surprised, but - well, just wow!

I can imagine, on one hand, the frustration when you pay for people who don't show up.    If it was an emergency, or some legitimate reason they couldn't attend it seems to me that it's just one of those risks you have to take.

When people say they'll be there and then just decide to do something else or, for some other irresponsible reason, just don't show, I'd feel pretty frustrated about that.  For me it would just speak to what kind of people they are.  But I'd also have to realize that it's just one of the perils. 

Don't people usually figure on a certain percentage that won't show and pay for less?  I suppose it's a gamble but I would imagine that you almost never have 100% attendance.  Of course, then, you have the uncivilized bunch who don't bother to RSVP and just show up so I imagine it equals out.

This is what happened at our reception, where it evened out, as you described. We had people who rsvp'd that they were coming who didn't show up, and then we had people who came, who said they weren't coming, so it did even out.

If you are renting out a banquent hall and are having your reception catered, you have to plan on so many place settings, and you pay that way, ahead of time based on how many guests rsvp.

Honored Contributor

@brii wrote:

Why couldn't either the mom or the dad go to the wedding and the other parent stay home with the sick child? 

They would have only been billed for one no show.  LOL

Not if they took home a doggy bag to the one that stayed home! whistling.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I remember my mother calling those that didn't respond to my wedding invitations. Of course it was my dh's side of the family. The several she called and told them that we hadn't heard yet but will they be attending my wedding? They said no, they had no intentions on attending!! Grrr then why the heck didn't they respond with the self-addressed stamped response card I enclosed?? Rude, rude! I only wish I had the nerve back 38 years ago when I got married to send these people a bill!!

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

Yes, there are also inconsiderate guests who don't RSVP at all or who don't bother notifying the hostess that they will not be attending at the last minute, but any hostess should realize these things will happen and allow for a certain amount of loss in their bottom line, particularly when the party is large.

Nonetheless, the bill was beyond tacky and if I were to receive a second bill from this couple, I'd try to find some reason to take them to court.  Harassment perhaps.

Honored Contributor

I bet the bride and groom have a ton of NEW EX friends.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

For all we know, those "guests" could have a long-standing history of standing people in their family up ... or whatever.   Clearly they never even bothered to explain their absence!

Sorta tacky to send a bill, but even tackier to make it public, IMO.