Respected Contributor

Re: Billed for being a no show at wedding

All of that over $76.

Even if they did cancel, the food is already probably paid for and ordered.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Even when guests come,  a few barely touch the meal. Should they be charged too?

I been to many weddings, and very few meals are great. I prefer buffets, so you can choose what you want.

Valued Contributor

emergencies come up, and sometimes, you do not think of whatever engagements you had booked, the emergency takes center stage. 

Respected Contributor

The average wedding is $26,000 (according to CNN), so why would $76 be important to a bride?   

Also, it was apparent that the guest did not ship/mail her gift prior...to the bride's home (or this crazy bride would have overlooked her friend not attending).

Esteemed Contributor

I saw this on the news. It's ridiculous!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I love this story.  We all have tacky relatives and hers are particularly tacky.  We all know or have known greedy, money grubbing brides and grooms who have dollar signs in their eyes.    They invite every person they know or have ever known, assuming that the dollar value of the gifts will exceed the cost of the wedding.  Well, that doesn't work of you have a lot of no shows.  I think the woman handled the situation brilliantly by going public!  It was a master move.  She exposed their tacky, greediness to the whole wide world.....and gave them a present....called public humiliation.  And they deserved it!

Sorry I don't agree.  I think it was just as tacky to post it by going public.  She should have called to let the hosts know that something came up and they couldn't attend.  Yes it was tacky of the bride & groom to send the invoice...it was tacky all around!

Honored Contributor

With friends like them, who needs enemies? Can't believe someone would bill for your non-appearance. Bet they are embarrassed to see/hear how this went viral. Life happens and gets in the way of best laid-out plans.

Respected Contributor

Sadly...public humiliation seems to be the only thing that gets through to some people.  

Honored Contributor

I guess I'm not surprised, but - well, just wow!

I can imagine, on one hand, the frustration when you pay for people who don't show up.    If it was an emergency, or some legitimate reason they couldn't attend it seems to me that it's just one of those risks you have to take.

When people say they'll be there and then just decide to do something else or, for some other irresponsible reason, just don't show, I'd feel pretty frustrated about that.  For me it would just speak to what kind of people they are.  But I'd also have to realize that it's just one of the perils. 

Don't people usually figure on a certain percentage that won't show and pay for less?  I suppose it's a gamble but I would imagine that you almost never have 100% attendance.  Of course, then, you have the uncivilized bunch who don't bother to RSVP and just show up so I imagine it equals out.

Trusted Contributor

@granddi wrote:

I'll describe rude. Our daughter's wedding reception was at a lovely historical hotel. A couple rsvp-ed to the reception and then had dinner in the hotel restaurant. The appeared for the open bar and dance. 

Maybe they didn't like or couldn't eat what you were serving.  Would it have been better for them to sit there and not eat, making everyone else feel awkward?

Did they give your daughter a gift?