Honored Contributor

Re: Billed for being a no show at wedding

NOTHING surprises me today.  People are animals and act accordingly .

Honored Contributor

You've got to be kidding me! What a way to ruin a friendship - bill your friends for not attending your wedding. I understand the bride and groom and/or their families pay a lot for the reception, but MOST would have the common sense to realize there could be a few who don't make it. 

I get migraines. If that happened the day of a wedding, could I stand up without being nauseous? NO - I would have to miss the wedding. 

What if someone was coming  and got caught in a traffic delay due to an accident? Three hour backups are real! 

There are all kinds of reasons people don't intend to miss weddings but have to. If they have RSVP'd "yes," then they do intend to be there. 

THIS is just SILLY! (insert emoticon shaking his head!) 

Honored Contributor

Things has really gotten out of hand as far as weddings are concerned!  Wow!  Just Wow!  I think if I get a wedding invitation in the future, I'll just decline.  Heaven forbid that my gift would not be acceptable to the couple because it didn't cover the cost of my meal.  Perhaps they should include the cost of the meals when they send out the invitations.

Honored Contributor

So if you had a contagious illness you should still attend?I would return the gift and use the money to pay my meal tab. That is not a friendly way to treat friends.I think at any big event no shows are just the cost of doing business.If you can't afford the wedding make it small enough that one or two extra costs won't stress you out.

Honored Contributor

Sometimes it's the parents who go around bragging about the high cost per plate, bar, etc.  Sometimes it's a way to tell everyone how 'rich' they are, even if they aren't.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

@traveler  that is so tacky! 

Honored Contributor

I love this story.  We all have tacky relatives and hers are particularly tacky.  We all know or have known greedy, money grubbing brides and grooms who have dollar signs in their eyes.    They invite every person they know or have ever known, assuming that the dollar value of the gifts will exceed the cost of the wedding.  Well, that doesn't work of you have a lot of no shows.  I think the woman handled the situation brilliantly by going public!  It was a master move.  She exposed their tacky, greediness to the whole wide world.....and gave them a present....called public humiliation.  And they deserved it!

Valued Contributor

I don't understand modern brides, I guess.  Whatever happened to having a wedding you can afford - if you can't cover a wedding fit for a princess, maybe you shouldn't have one!  There are always no-shows for any party, of any description, any time!

"Behold! We are not bound forever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory." J.R.R. Tolkien
Honored Contributor

How very rude and tacky!!!  If anyone opts for a big fancy costly wedding they should know nothing is a certainty and guests that don't show are just a part .of it. 

Honored Contributor

The woman whose mug is all over the news yapping about the her husband's family is JUST AS TACKY, if you ask me. 

Keep it to yourself, b*tch to your GFs, reply however you want to the newlyweds. 

Don't go on national television about it.