Respected Contributor

Beware Another Scam(sorry this is long)

[ Edited ]

We often get calls with numbers I don't recognize so I don't answer. One of these calls claims to be able to lower your credit card interest rates. I know this because sometimes dh thinks it's funny to answer and act foolish with these folks. Now, mind you, when dh has talked with them, "they ask you which credit cards you would like reduced and the numbers". Dh thinks it's funny to go back and forth with them until they get frustrated and hang up. Well today the caller id said Walgreen's Drugs and listed a number that began 1-502. I wondered why they would be calling as we don't have any Rx's with them but thought maybe they thought I hadn't picked up a recent picture order(I had). I answered and it was a recording saying how they can help reduce your interest rates. It then tells you to press one to speak to an agent. I did that too. Someone with a heavy accent began to speak but I don't know what they said. I was to busy shouting that I was going to report them. I called my local Walgreens and asked the manager to report it to corporate. He asked me for the number(which I had called right back - it was disconnected). I put him on hold while I got the number and when I came back he said another customer had just called with the same complaint! I guess now the scammers are going to use names we recognize on caller id. Long story, short - to be safe, it's best to let your machine answer! If the calls are legit they will leave a message and you can answer or call back!

I also immediately alerted my 87 year old mom.

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Respected Contributor

Re: Beware Another Scam(sorry this is long)

I had one of those lower your credit card interest rates robo calls with the caller ID of a local church.

These people stop at nothing.

Esteemed Contributor

@Starpolisher I got that message on my land line yesterday (about lowering interest) and immediate deleted it.  Mine was from a VERY perking sounding woman.  Her over the top helpful voice was the first red flag, it was almost valley girlish.  Her voice alone would have been enough to make me hang up if I actually ever answered my land line.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the heads up!  L👀ks like many people are pretty well aware of these cons and their scams.  I always say "when in doubt, DON'T!"...(say or do anything), like many people do now, let "them" leave a message.

Respected Contributor

We are blessed if we don't have to make a living like that.  Imagine living with rejection every day!

Esteemed Contributor

We've had scammers spoof the numbers of various well-known charities (Natl Wildlife Federation, Nature Conservancy, etc) so I never answer.  Calls aren't what they seem these days. Thanks for the head's up.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Isobel Archer wrote:

I had one of those lower your credit card interest rates robo calls with the caller ID of a local church.

These people stop at nothing.

I actually had a robocall the other day from a Pastor/church.

The recording said this is Pastor so-and-so, at which point I hung up.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

It's really a shame and I don't see why it can't be stopped. Using a false name on the caller ID is terrible.

Respected Contributor

If it's not a number I don't recognize - I don't answer it. 

Respected Contributor

Yes, I always let my machine answer unless I know the number.  I wouldn't be interested in lowering the interest on any of my credit cards since I've never paid a dime of interest on one, I've always paid my credit cards off in full every month.