Respected Contributor

Re: Betrayed by car dealership

[ Edited ]

not all mechanics are paid hourly. Some are commission, some (most) are flat rate. That's where experience and speed come in, they can make the most. So, if a writer writes an estimate for 3 hrs and the mechanic can do that job in 1 hr, they are paid 3 hrs. The key is to be fast.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

You can't expect management to inspect every car that comes in for service, they listen to the mechanic who tellls them what he finds upon inspection of the car.You are blaming a whole dealership for the wrong info from one mechanic.

I have an answer to this question, since I have a friend whose son attended the automotive course at a local community college.  As a mechanic, he was encouraged by management to charge a minimum amount to almost every customer who came through the door.

Needless to say, he wasn't popular since he didn't want to do this.  He got a job as a AAA tow truck driver and now he helps people, instead of overcharging them.

Esteemed Contributor

Resolved:  Getting my money back that I spent GETTING A SECOND OPINION.  Manager in charge apologized and said he would in the future make sure that the New Guy would communicate better.  (Whatever that means).  I did pursue it to the highest power and I am okay with it.  I have learned a lesson.  When the warranty runs out I will run to the nearest local competent garage and let them fix it.   

We do live rural and one bad word might have not been so comfortable for this dealership.  So score a point or two for living in the 'sticks."

Esteemed Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

Resolved:  Getting my money back that I spent GETTING A SECOND OPINION.  Manager in charge apologized and said he would in the future make sure that the New Guy would communicate better.  (Whatever that means).  I did pursue it to the highest power and I am okay with it.  I have learned a lesson.  When the warranty runs out I will run to the nearest local competent garage and let them fix it.   

We do live rural and one bad word might have not been so comfortable for this dealership.  So score a point or two for living in the 'sticks."

Glad you got your money back that you spent on your other mechanic @bonnielu!! He would make sure the new guy "communicated better"? Bahahahaha!! So he just accidentally communicated that you had rusted brakes and needed a new rotor? lol!!! Wow, what a liar!

Anyway, sounds like your other mechanic is a good guy, I would take all your cars to him now. Thanks for updating us! 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

I would never have my car repairs done at a dealership unless it was a factory recall or some sort of warranty situation.   Not only are the hourly rates significantly higher for the mechanics, but there are usually commission incentives in place if they can convince you to have even more work done ....  I've heard too many horror stories.  Being a "long time customer" means nothing.

IMO, the best mechanic is one that the AAA has accredited.  It's very hard to get this designation, and the Auto Club carries a lot of weight with consumers.

Regular Contributor

Bonnielu... Thanks for posting this info.  I had second thoughts about getting my Subaru serviced at the dealership and made an appointment with my local garage instead. 

The owners son used to be my neighbor and I trust them.

I've never had any problems with the dealer, but your story kind of scared me. Thanks too for the others input.

Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

@bonnielu wrote:

I am a long term customer of a particular dealership in town.  I also have a long term relationship with an independent garage.  I service my  hybrid at the dealership and my older standard type car at the independent garage.  I never mix them.  i just feel more comfy with the hybrid being cared for by the original source.

In any case, all was well for 45 years, yes, that long.  Until two days ago.   We took our vehicle in for the 60,000 mile check.  We waited at a local restaurant, a treat for us when we do the 'car thing.'  Long story short, got a call that we needed major work.  Brakes--- rust... take off the rust.... $600.  And if we waited, $300 more because of the need for rotor replacement.  (it would not be long in any case and WE MUST HAVE THIS DONE).  

I am not mechanical, but I am intuitive.  Something was not right.     I always trusted THEM.  I refused the repair, took the car immediately to the "garage."  I got a call within two hours (I left it there). Not only was there no rust, the brakes were perfect. No problem. Bill $70 to check it all out.  

I am so feeling betrayed. What if I had believe the dealership.  And why would they betray me, try to dip into my retirement savings.  I did call and complain, I wrote a letter to complain.  I talk to myself and complain.  I am feeling so vulnerable yet proud that I caught it. WISH I DID NOT HAVE TO.  

And just in case you are wondering both of my cars are Toyotas.  I could not kill them if I tossed them off a cliff. Never a problem, ever, ever.

Shouldda bought American. 

You do know that many, many "foreign" cars are built in American factories staffed by American-born workers, right?

And vice versa as well! Lots of 'American' cars are partially manufactured overseas. 

Esteemed Contributor

Because of the small town atmosphere I may have had an advantage.  I taught here for over 30 years and seem to know everyone.  And the original mechanic and his shop were people that I had two generations in one of my classes.  I was just scared to take a hybrid to anyone but the original place of purchase--- the dealer.  No more.  I am reformed, sold, convinced.  The whole idea of not needing it in the first place shook me.  And after googling the entire thing, the so - called rust on the brakes was an iffy kind of major dire immediate problem really is disputed. The information I got even debunked it, even if a few rust particles were on the brakes.  

My garage is certificed AAA and if they were not honest believe me THAT community where they are located, is armed and dangerous.  LOL.  

I hope to get a new car within the next two years.  Love to have a RAV 4 and go down to one car.. giving up my 2007 Camry and my 2012 Prius  I want the latest greatest safety features.  But my Prius get 52 miles a gallon (no foolin') and who would give that up for half.  And when it snows in feet on my mountain, I will just stay home.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Betrayed by car dealership 🚗

I definitely agree about going to a AAA certified mechanic shop. Our cars go there for maintenance. 

Had to bring my Ford Fusion to dealership repair for a recall item. Got told that I needed brakes, rotor -- must be a common 'lie' given to women bringing cars in for repair. Recalled items are done at no charge so they are losing money because they aren't charging for the labor time or the part.

Anyway, I got annoyed at them and said -- my car is only in for a recall-- not for tires or brakes. I then the following day took the car to my local AAA mechanic. Guess what? It didn't need brakes or a tire! 

I haven't been back since to them and will continue to bring the car to our local mechanic.

We currently own a Toyota and as part of the deal got service maintenance for 2 years at their dealership mechanic shop. When that is over, we will bring that car to the mechanic too!

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

@bonnielu  

Dang after all those years as a customer and they tried to pull that trick on you.  I am glad you thought twice.  

I had almost the same brake issue on my Toyota Celica, except this was my first purchase from the dealer.  The car was only nine months old and due for state inspection.  I figured take it to the dealer.  I had almost no miles on it.  Should pass with flying colors.  

They called me to say my brakes were rusted and rotors were warped and it wouldn't pass inspection without repair/replacements and wanted something like $300.   I argued with them how a nine month car could have warped & rusted brakes.  Get this..they told me I didn't drive it enough.  Well so much for their product if this happens in nine months.  I told them, "Don't pass it".  I took it to my hometown and had the rotors turned down for $30 and got it inspected.

I was female, young and just think they were attempting to take advantage of the situation thinking I would bite.  What they didn't know was that I was the daughter of a mechanic.